PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell iBook quality?

Poff
Nov 17, 2004, 05:42 PM
Sorry for sort of double-posting, but the title on my other thread was not very relevant to the current topic.

I'm thinking of buying a clamshell iBook 466, and I'm just wondering about the general build quality of these. The computer is, of course, a couple of years old, so.. Any parts that are known to fail in clamshell iBooks? Expensive parts? I've been doing a bit of searching, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, because I cannot find any answers to these questions.

bowsplash
Nov 18, 2004, 06:11 PM
I've had a 366MHz graphite iBook (1 USB, no FireWire) since Nov 2001, and it was 1-2 yrs old when I got it. It has worked great for me and was my primary computer until last year, when I really wanted FireWire, a bigger screen, faster, and I got an iMac. So now the iBook is a great Web surfer in the kitchen and good for travelling with. The few problems I've had:

Battery: totally died about a year ago. Now the computer won't even keep time when it's unplugged. I've looked into buying new (and you have to buy NEW) and found them for around $125. Haven't jumped in, yet.

Power supply: cord began to wear down at computer plug end, and eventually began to short this summer. So I hucked it and bought a Kensington power supply for $100.

Hard drive: no problems, except 3GB was too small. So I found a Chris Bream video on Macworld explaining, step-by-step, how to disassemble your iBook and replace the HD. I found a Toshiba 30GB for $110 on ebay. I spent about 3hrs replacing it, and I'm so glad I did.

Speaker: kind of shorted out once, now the volume is a little low and I get static every once in a while, but resolves in seconds. The headphone jack works, so I know it's not the sound card.

Other than that, I love the rubberized coating. At airport security stops, I feel fine dropping my iBook into the bin, then grabbing that silly little handle as it comes out the other side. I've spilled cabernet down the screen (don't ask) and was able to clean out most of it. The keyboard is a tad spongy at the edges, but still quick, and the trackpad is a little touchy when wet. I've got an AirPort card in it, and the reception is great. And I put 360MB of RAM into it, but (as someone suggested) it looks like it might be able to handle more.

Hope all that helps. It's a great little computer.

diamond geezer
Nov 18, 2004, 09:41 PM
Clamshell iBooks were far more reliable than the white (dual USB) iBooks that followed.

wordmunger
Nov 18, 2004, 09:47 PM
I still have a working Rev a clamshell iBook -- bought the year it came out, 1999. I've upgraded the memory, the hard drive (which is quite a drawn-out affair. There was one part left over when I was finished, but the computer worked, so I left it out :) ), and replaced the battery once. Running Panther, still works great.