PDA

View Full Version : Airport Expresses in a wireless distribution system

markdouglas
Nov 17, 2004, 07:29 PM
I have a simple "yes/no" question for the group that I'm having trouble confirming on Apple's support site. If you're using 2 or 3 Airport Expresses together as a wireless distribution system (i.e. one as a base and one or two as relays and not simple "wireless clients") do you have to use the WEP encryption protocals rather than the WPA? Yesterday I tried to toggle a new Airport Express in to an existing Airport Express base station to use as a signal relay and as an iTunes node and it forced me to change the encryption on my base station Express unit from WPA to WEP.

Mark

WCat
Nov 17, 2004, 08:05 PM
Up until yesterday, when the new Airport s/w update was released, the answer was that yes, you could only do WDS using WEP. If you download and install the new update, and then allow the firmware in each of your Expresses to be updated, then you will be able to do WDS using WPA.

Here's a link to Apple's site for Airport update 4.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airport41formacosx.html)

It will update your Express to firmware version 6.1, and your Extreme base station to firmware v. 5.5.

You might also look at this link on Apple's site. (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportexpressfirmware61formacosx.html) It explains a bit more about what the update covers. As you can see, it includes quite a few fixes and improvements.

You should download the first one, it's larger, but it also has the firmware updater for both Express and Extreme inside. The second link is the firmware updater only. Make sure that all of your Airport products get the update for this to work. To do that, just launch the Airport Admin Utility, the Airport Express Assistant, or the Airport Setup Assistant, and it will inform you that your Express or base station you're trying to manage needs to have its firmware updated. Pretty painless and easy. I think one of them will auto-launch after you first install the software on your Mac and reboot (reboot is required). If not, they hang out in the Utilities folder inside your main Applications folder.

Cheers,

WCat

markdouglas
Nov 18, 2004, 05:50 AM
WCat,

Thank you very much!

Mark