PDA

View Full Version : Your 3D Works

edesignuk
Aug 18, 2002, 01:51 PM
I just thought it might be nice to see some of your 3D works of art and to share what application you made them in.
I'll get the ball rolling...

I'm just starting to play about with 3D, and so I am beginning to get to grips with Bryce 5 (the easiest of all 3D apps IMHO), here's the kind of thing I'm playin about with.

sparkleytone
Aug 18, 2002, 04:00 PM
looks like you need either a little distance or a definite angle between the glass itself and its reflection. other than that , nice :)

P-Worm
Aug 18, 2002, 05:12 PM
Try out Cinema 4D. I don't do 3D modeling much at all, (I'm an director, my friend does the modeling), but from what I have done with that program, it was very intuitive and easy to use. I didn't say powerful, because it's not. It's like the iMovie of the 3D world, it does a lot and is very easy to use, but there is a lot more out there.

edesignuk
Aug 18, 2002, 05:18 PM
I do have Cinema4D, but can't seem to get to grips with it, I think I'll stick with Bryce 5 for the time being, I still have a hell of a lot to learn in that.

Corrected some spelling mistakes.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 18, 2002, 07:07 PM
Bryce is only ok, stick with a more complete app. Cinema 4D has received lots of great press, I don't use it myself, Lightwave is the one for me. But if you get into the animation and more than modelling simple objects, you'll need something a little more involved than Bryce.

The one thing about Bryce is that its pretty obvious it is Bryce. Making it look like you used something else it tough. Don't let Cinema 4D intimidate you, stick to it and you'll be happy you did.

D

mac15
Aug 19, 2002, 01:21 AM
cool man , it need something thought, I'm not sure, but something to give it omf,
haha but its god damn good

edesignuk
Aug 19, 2002, 03:13 AM
So no one else has any 3D artwork to post? :eek:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2002, 06:38 AM
Here's something I did back in 95, one of my first when I had just got Strata Studio Pro.

teabgs
Aug 19, 2002, 09:27 AM
here's a frame from an animation I did...It's dark because its from an egyptian tomb and the whole piece has a dark undertone to it...hope you can see it well though....

jelloshotsrule
Aug 20, 2002, 10:46 AM
what's that for teabgs?

project or ****s and gigs?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 12:06 PM
Ok, jellofarts, I don't think you should be able to comment on any submissions unless you make your own - its only fair, you know?

D

jelloshotsrule
Aug 20, 2002, 04:47 PM
jellofarts? you forget to take your centrum silver today or something old man?

i wasn't commenting on his work, just asking what it was for... can't see the difference i guess in your old age... and i thought old fogeys were supposed to be wise.... ahh well

anyhoo, i'm finishing up a combo 3d/video movie about a ball bouncing which i'll post eventually....

teabgs
Aug 20, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
what's that for teabgs?

project or ****s and gigs?

I dont know why its so dark....it isnt in the video...nor on my computer...weird

Its a frame from my final Intro project....

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 08:43 PM
jello: touché - but its out of my control right now - I just spent most of the night working in the basement, like I have for over a couple of months now when I've had some free time just to get it finished - which it almost is. And hey, we can do laundry again! Woohoo!

teabgs: if it wasn't made on a mac it might be dark, for some reason I've seen many images that look fine on my monitor, but when I put them on a pc they're really dark. And it can happen the other way around. It depends on the color matching, if any was set at the time of creation.

D

teabgs
Aug 20, 2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

teabgs: if it wasn't made on a mac it might be dark, for some reason I've seen many images that look fine on my monitor, but when I put them on a pc they're really dark. And it can happen the other way around. It depends on the color matching, if any was set at the time of creation.

D

hmmm...thats odd but ok...

I created it on an SGI....it looks fine when I bring it into FCP though....and on video....Why does it make a difference thats its a still? Also...could it be that I changed it from a tiff to jpg?

Mr. Anderson
Aug 20, 2002, 08:56 PM
did you transfer it in photoshop? did you keep the color settings or change them? You could always adjust the gamma and levels.

D

teabgs
Aug 20, 2002, 08:58 PM
did you transfer it in photoshop? did you keep the color settings or change them? You could always adjust the gamma and levels.

D

I brought it into PS only to make it a jpg and make it smaller so I could post it here....didnt do anything else to it.

And I cant play with the origional until thursday cause Im housesitting for my aunt and wont be home until then....

jelloshotsrule
Aug 21, 2002, 08:36 AM
jello: touché - but its out of my control right now - I just spent most of the night working in the basement, like I have for over a couple of months now when I've had some free time just to get it finished - which it almost is. And hey, we can do laundry again! Woohoo!

just a lil' ball bustin.

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
Yesterday I was working on a Theatre room. The whole thing took me 4 hours or so. But I had a hard enough time as it is trying to find out how to rotate my view. As a result, I decided I didn't want to spend the effort on designing the chairs, so I just put Cubes in place.

Here are 4 angles of the room.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 10:08 AM
what sort of lighting are you using? and what sort of antialiasing level is it set at?

You might also want to put doors or something at the back in stead of the white space. Also maybe open up the field of view on the camera a bit, get a wider shot.

is this a work in progress?

D

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 11:10 AM
>what sort of lighting are you using?

I have three light sources, one throughout the top, one from the back left and one from the back right.

>and what sort of antialiasing level is it set at?

I have no idea what that is. I'm no expert in 3D; I just experiment whenever I have the time to do nothing else. :)

>You might also want to put doors or something at the back in stead of the white space. Also maybe open up the field of view on the camera a bit, get a wider shot.

I realize that doors will soon become necessary, but I figure with all the limitations with a free 3D software program I would have to work around it the hard way, designing patterns and stuff. I also figured a wider angle would help. I'll work on it later.

>is this a work in progress?

Yeah. It's not something totally important, but I just like to experiment in the exciting world of 3D when I am really bored. The thing holding me back from doing more 3D work would be because the software I have works for OS 9, and I don't always have the patience to wait to boot into Classic. When Strata gets an OS X version ready for download I'll probably be more occupied with it.

teabgs
Aug 26, 2002, 11:12 AM
Maya PLE is free and works in OSX.....also you dont have limitations....except that the interface is really hard to learn.....and that you have to learn a lot till you can do what you want....but once thats done, you can do whatever you want (time permitting).

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 11:17 AM
I use to have Strata - but it really is limiting in what you can do. I'd do what Teabgs said - get the copy of Maya for OSX and spend some time learning it - it will be worth it, you have a much greater control of what you're doing. I'm going to have to learn Maya one of these days as well, right now I'm using mostly Lightwave, which is pretty damn good as well.

And with strata, its sometimes better to create outlines of objects in Illustrator or another vector program and then import them.

Good luck,

D

teabgs
Aug 26, 2002, 11:21 AM
Also, do you have any reference photos of what you're creating? That helps a lot.....know what youre going to do BEFORE you start doing it....trust me.

In Maya if you have a picture of say A chair, you can import that and have your model semi-opaque and model it so that its outlines match up with the outline in the pic....makes it easier to get your models looking realistic....besides texturing....but you should learn to model before you worry about that...

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 11:27 AM
It's not a photo reference, but I based the design of the theatre exactly on a 2D drawing from Appleworks.

I checked out the Personal Edition of Maya, but there is NO WAY I am going to download a 150MB file on dial-up. In my home in NJ, we've had dial-up for almost 10 years; here in Maine we are using dial-up, and I just cannot spend 12 hours downloading a file. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

However, my father has DSL at the store in NY, so when we come back to NJ I'll ask him to download it.

teabgs
Aug 26, 2002, 11:30 AM
don't you subscribe to MacAddict?

if so it came with Maya PLE on a cd a few inssues ago....I believe it was July....

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra

However, my father has DSL at the store in NY, so when we come back to NJ I'll ask him to download it.

you'll also need to get a book or two to learn the thing - I've been working with 3D apps for more than 10 years and I had a bit of a rough start the first time running it. You can't just sit down and start playing - you need to do tutorials and devote a good amount of time before you start playing.

but once you 'get it' you'll wonder why you ever used Strata.

D

King Cobra
Aug 26, 2002, 11:38 AM
Yes, I have a subscription (named [my father]) to MacAddict, but I only have the SEptember issue with me right now. I think the July issue is in NJ.

duke, what book/s would you recommend for Maya? I am looking for something to grasp the basics with clear explanations, but not too long.

teabgs
Aug 26, 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by King Cobra
Yes, I have a subscription (named [my father]) to MacAddict, but I only have the SEptember issue with me right now. I think the July issue is in NJ.

duke, what book/s would you recommend for Maya? I am looking for something to grasp the basics with clear explanations, but not too long.

there is no fast way to learn Maya.....if you want to learn it well and make good looking products. Sorry.

Learning Maya 4 is a good one...just do the tutorials and you'll learn the interface at the same time as texturing, modeling, lighting, and animation....

If you dont want to spend a lot of time, do it in small doses as you'll need to give your brain a break anyway when learning it....

Mr. Anderson
Aug 26, 2002, 12:17 PM
i've been doing this for more than half your life and I still don't know it all - I never will. But I'm always learning and getting better. Even if you do 3D as a hobby, you'll be happy the with results after a month or so of dedicated time spent going through the tutorials. Don't give up and stick to it.

D

jelloshotsrule
Aug 28, 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
Maya PLE is free and works in OSX.....also you dont have limitations....

you don't consider the HUGE WATERMARK it leaves on all output a limitation?

anyhoo, it's still a great option to learn it...

as for downloading. you can order a cd for 5 bucks from them.. that's a steal i think

go here (http://store.aliaswavefront.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry17c?pn=5&sp=10007&cid=0&sid=41107&pid=385107&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

teabgs
Aug 29, 2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

you don't consider the HUGE WATERMARK it leaves on all output a limitation?

anyhoo, it's still a great option to learn it...

as for downloading. you can order a cd for 5 bucks from them.. that's a steal i think

go here (http://store.aliaswavefront.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry17c?pn=5&sp=10007&cid=0&sid=41107&pid=385107&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0)

Its not a limitation when he has no idea what hes doing, wont be doing any real productions, and isnt going to be building a reel :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson
Aug 29, 2002, 08:31 AM

Its not a limitation when he has no idea what hes doing, wont be doing any real productions, and isnt going to be building a reel :rolleyes:

but the one thing to remember, is that if he's not ever going to get a copy of the real thing - paying $1000s - it only becomes a learning experience and you won't be able to do much with it in the end.

True, for understanding 3D and animation its ok, but you have to consider what you're your goal is - learning the basics (which would be overkill with maya) or eventually getting into 3D and animation as a serious hobby or career.

D

teabgs
Aug 29, 2002, 08:39 AM
he said he just wanted to try it out and see what its like....for that its perfect. If he decides to get more serious about it, well there are other options ;)

....such as the student plan in which you pay a certain amount per year and eventually pay it off

jelloshotsrule
Aug 29, 2002, 10:34 AM
....such as the student plan in which you pay a certain amount per year and eventually pay it off

do you know what the current status of that is? i mean, the price has gone down so much that the per year must either be less or you just pay it off much faster....?