Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe52985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
What's up guys! Long time lurker, first time poster!

Let's get to it then. Ordered the sgp carbon skin guard this last Thursday and received it this afternoon, so, fairly quick shipping. Arrived as described and undamaged.

What's in the package:

Arrived in a similar package to the zagg, but slightly smaller. Inside, lay a squeegee, cloth to clean the screen, carbon back, and the stienheil screen protector. What didn't come included? Instructions!!! It's a very self explanation process, but I figured some sort of booklet or paper explaining the process. Also, the squeegee was hard plastic and rough around the edges.

Installation:

I've become somewhat of an expert over the past couple of weeks with these things, wet or dry. Been through 2 zagg, 3(!) wrapsol, and now the stienheil. The carbon back installs very easy. Line up the camera holes with the backing half peeled, and press down while pulling the backing down. The website shows one hole for the camera and flash. My skin came with separate holes for the two. No flash issues and I think it looks cleaner that way.

Now on to the front! The protector arrived with an adhesive back protector and a blue tinted front protector. Not too much detail here, goes on like any other DRY screen protector. Couple notes here. No hole for the front camera. Does NOT impede image clarity at all. This thing is cut perfect! By far the easiest protector I have applied. From start to finish, took about 4 minutes. I didn't use the supplied squeegee for fear I would scratch it. Ended up using my wrapsol one instead.

Fit and finish:

Like I said, this thing is cut perfect. Very easy to install, no bubbles at all. The carbon is very good looking and seems to be well adhered. It really is "bumper compatable". The real gem here though is the screen protector. As I've said, it's been a long road with protectors. That story is for another thread. This is by a long run the best I've used. It's optically as good as bare glass as far as I can see, and feels like it as well. No orange peel or rubbery texture. Fits perfect with the bumper just like the rear.

Conclusion:

I'm in love. Not only does my phone look great with the carbon fiber vinyl back, but the screen feels and looks great. Bumper plus carbon plus stienheil and I feel very protected. I'm reading back and I sound like a shill, but I am really that happy with this product, front and back!

I appologize in advance for any spelling or grammer issues, im posting from my phone, pictures forthcoming for the same reason.

Thanks for reading!

useref15

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Thats good news, because I ordered the same thing on Sunday. I also got the SGP Steinheil Oleophobic for the front, instead of the crystal because alot of reviews say it shows fingerprints.

I'm just waiting for my bumper from apple, then my set up will be complete....and great looking!

Joe52985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Been using this all day long and I can say while there's more fingerprints than bare glass, it's not nearly as bad as I've read. Much better than the wrapsol in that respect. That being said I may Just pull the trigger on the oleo-phobic. If for nothing more than to have something to do...lol. Maybe post a YouTube install video or something.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I hated the protector that came with my carbon skin...

So I got the oleophobic. HIGHLY recommend it!

I am running that, the carbon skin and white bumper. Looks fantastic :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.