Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have a refurbished MacBook from Early 2009, I bought it from Fry's Electronics in October, by Late December it started cracking (palm rest area) a known problem, brought it in late January and they got the part by early February (no way I was relinquishing my baby for 2 weeks), took it in for an hour and it got repaired. In April for the first time I used the optical drive and it was broken, took it in and apparently I was a few days out of warranty and they were "nice enough to repair it" then I started having screen problems, it would turn off randomly and and yanking it forward and then wiggling it back it would start working again, it was getting worse, by Late June it was within a half hour of it being open so I took it in on the 25th (of June) and I took it to Fry's being supposedly I had a three year warranty and it was with them so they gave me a loaner (revision 7,1) so I relinquished my baby and here I am typing this up on the loaner waiting for my "three week repair"

Do I qualify for Apple's lemon law? Who should I vent on?
trouble.gif

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Apple really doesn't have a lemon law or they don't like to call it that. If you have a warranty with Fry's, they should have one and should take care of you (since you already payed for their warranty). If you want to take it to Apple and are looking for a replacement, usually you would need a fault happen 3 times (this is usually the same part failing 3 times) or you have had extensive repairs. One or two repairs for different parts generally won't warrant a replacement from Apple.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Apple really doesn't have a lemon law or they don't like to call it that. If you have a warranty with Fry's, they should have one and should take care of you (since you already payed for their warranty). If you want to take it to Apple and are looking for a replacement, usually you would need a fault happen 3 times (this is usually the same part failing 3 times) or you have had extensive repairs. One or two repairs for different parts generally won't warrant a replacement from Apple.

all of the later problems have been caused by the Apple "fixes"

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
Apple may not have a rule for it, but I believe in lemons and it's not like wine, they don't get better with age. In your position I'd have it repaired this time so everything works again and then I'd sell it on eBay and take a small loss, that is, except if you enjoy trekking to the store every couple of months.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
You have no way to prove this.

So if I don't have them when I give it to them and they start when I get them back? I am gentle with my MacBook. The Display problem is very likely a video cable that's gotten squeezed between something

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
So if I don't have them when I give it to them and they start when I get them back?

Circumstantial at best.

I am gentle with my MacBook.

Electronics can fail even if you're gentle.

The Display problem is very likely a video cable that's gotten squeezed between something

It might be likely, but the above statement says nothing about how it came to be that way. It could have been an Apple tech, it could have been something else. No way to tell.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Circumstantial at best.

Electronics can fail even if you're gentle.

It might be likely, but the above statement says nothing about how it came to be that way. It could have been an Apple tech, it could have been something else. No way to tell.
The display issue started the same day I got it back, I sat on my couch laying down for a couple hours when it started, I transported it in the case I got it in

I wonder if there are padded briefcases for Macbook Pros, that would be cool)

*MacBook*

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
DUH don't buy refurbished! i bought a new mac

The display issue started the same day I got it back, I sat on my couch laying down for a couple hours when it started, I transported it in the case I got it in

I wonder if there are padded briefcases for Macbook Pros, that would be cool)
and my new mac's speakers blew 3 days after i bought it,,, returned it and got A NEW ONE FOR 100% FREE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.