PDA

View Full Version : Securing VNC via SSH

pocster
Jul 28, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hello All,

I was wondering how I can connect securely to my macpro (running snow leopard) media server at home from my iphone while on the go. I'm currently able to do so using VNC Lite and default setup (port forwarding from 5900, Password in place, using dyndns) from my iphone, but with minimal security measurements in place.

What I would like to achieve is the following:
1) Install a SSH server in my macpro at home to secure connection.

2) Be able to browse and download using my macpro from my iphone in a secure way.

3)Prevent access from outside users

I'm aware I can setup an ssh server and do some port forwarding, but am still fairly new to this. I would need details/tutorial on the subject matter. If you could provide any advice or alternatives I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

talmy
Jul 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
I can answer part of this -- you already have SSH server in OS X, you just have to enable it in the preferences (it's in Sharing -- Remote Login). You can tunnel the VNC access over SSH. I do that from a Windows system at work to my Mac at home. However this is where my help ends because I have no idea how to do this on an iPhone! I also use VPN to access my home network (mainly for calendar sync, but also general access from a MacBook). That requires setting up a VPN server at home.