Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
For some reason, I can't seem to get Mail.app to perform a 'new mail sound' when I get new mail. ok...lol, I downloaded the 'mail mutha ****a' sound from EuroTrip, and I set it as my new mail sound, it seems to work, but everytime I get a mail message, it doesnt play. so I end up looking at the dock and noticeing that I have 3 or 4 new messages, but no active sound to alert me. I've even sent a few test emails out, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to play that damn sound.

whats going on!!1111 omg wtf lol? :p

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
JeDiBoYTJ said:
For some reason, I can't seem to get Mail.app to perform a 'new mail sound' when I get new mail. ok...lol, I downloaded the 'mail mutha ****a' sound from EuroTrip, and I set it as my new mail sound, it seems to work, but everytime I get a mail message, it doesnt play. so I end up looking at the dock and noticeing that I have 3 or 4 new messages, but no active sound to alert me. I've even sent a few test emails out, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to play that damn sound.

whats going on!!1111 omg wtf lol? :p

I believe that if Mail is the program being used, it doesn't make the sound. Hmmmm, I sent myself some mail, and when I was in Mail, it didn't do the sound. Maybe it only does it when you are using another program so you are alerted to the new mail. Also make sure to turn up your sound.

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
It's a bug

I wanted to do the same thing ages ago and had the same problem. Seems that while you "should" be able to select other weird and wacky sounds for Mail.app alerts, it practice it doesn't work.

If you set your "New Mail" sound back to one of the defaults, does it work?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I did test it by switching back to the default sound, and it worked... but it only made the noise once, then it didnt make any other noises. I even had my friend send me an email, and I hid Mail, and nope, all it did was add a little (1) badge to the dock icon. I've even tried it by quiting and restarting mail.... nothing...

the weird thing is, it works fine for my friend (or so he says)

oh well

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Ok, so the "Mail MF" sound just doesn't work in mail. God knows why, but I tried doing this months ago and couldn't get it to work. The best I got was it playing teh sound, bout about at 10x speed. I bet we have the same copy of teh sound. Works great on outlook on my PC, but now on mail.app. Every other preinstalled sound works like a charm.

BEN

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
I've got a similar problem. Homer Simpson says "Woohoo!," and is supposed to say it when I get mail from my wife. For some reason, it stopped working - but now iCal plays Homer whenever I have a reminder. I didn't tell it to do that... :confused:

Gambuchi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2003
Oregon
Check this directory for mail.app sounds

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Sounds/

This is where I had to install sounds that I wanted the mail.app to use. if you put them into your user directory/library/sounds folder, they don't seem to work. ;) ;) ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Re-selecting the default makes it work for a while...then it quits playing again. It's annoying to have to keep re-selecting the new mail sound for it to play consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.