Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilford

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
I was just about to pull the trigger and buy a new Mac Mini this morning to do away with my woeful ATV but have just spotted that HD rentals are not available vie the iTunes store???

I'm sure I have seen them there in the past?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Not every movie that is available to rent is in HD. I recently rented Shutter Island in HD on my AppleTV, and just checked that it's available to rent in HD through iTunes on my Mac.

gilford

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
Not every movie that is available to rent is in HD. I recently rented Shutter Island in HD on my AppleTV, and just checked that it's available to rent in HD through iTunes on my Mac.

I rented Clash of the Titans in HD on my ATV last night, it is not available in HD on the iTunes store? What is the point in this (apart from the obvious that you need to buy the ATV ;))?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
My best guess would be that some studios don't want HD rentals on computers for fear that someone could easily run a utility to copy whatever audio/video is playing to save a copy without their precious DRM on it. I know there is already a program out their that can do that for standard iTunes rentals. Last thing they want is someone making copies of $5-$6 HD rentals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.