PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 + fan + buzzing?

gregorydanger
Nov 18, 2004, 02:03 AM
All right, I'm a bit concerned.

My iBook is only a few months old.. I got it a few days after the last upgrade was made. After that, I ran into a hard-drive problem and had to get it replaced (<3 AppleCare) and ever since then it's been running great.

However (you knew that was coming, eh?).

About a couple of weeks ago, the fan kicked on.. and never turned off unless I physically turned the computer off. I've read that this is fine and that I shouldn't be concerned and, although it was mildly irritating (I got so used to be it just being SO quiet?) I got used to it. Last night, though, I noticed that the fan noise got louder.. or what appears to be the fan did. Only this time, it's not just that whirling fan noise, it appears as though a light buzzing(?) noise has been added to the mixture of noises coming from my iBook.

I don't even know if you would call it a buzzing.. but it's the closest thing that I can think of when trying to describe how it sounds. Needless to say, I'm finding it very difficult to fall asleep (or concentrate really) moreso because of the buzzing.. the fan was fine, but the buzzing is rubbing me the wrong way. I just want to know if anyone has any experience with this (ie: should I back up everything now and prepare for a meltdown?) or will it just go away? I don't do too much of anything that would hurt my computer -- I'm a writer and my computer is pretty much used just for that. On top of that, I have about 10 gigs of music (legal music, thank you) but that's really it.

If anyone could offer some advice I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the long post explaining a simple problem (I'm a writer. Sue me. No actually don't.. I'm a writer, I'm not rich. :)).

PS: Just out of curiosity, what is the average temp. at which my computer should run at? I have ThermoInDock and it lists three numbers (GPU ON DIE, CPU Bottomside, PWR/Memory Bottomside) and I have no clue what each of them represent but they're all currently at 123 F, 118 F, and 113 F respectively. Thank you!

booksacool1
Nov 18, 2004, 02:41 AM
I've had buzzing fans twice, but in a PC and a G4 tower. I fixed them by replacing the fans. It seems to me that as fans get old, they start to buzz. Sometimes i could get the buzzing to go away by shaking the computer, (while it was on) obviously indicating that parts of the fan (axel?) were no longer in sync. Perhaps the grease/oil inside the fan wears away? Sometimes the fans contain ball bearings which can dent, causing it to scrape.

Anyway, there is no cause for majour meltdown, the fan is still working just loudly. seeing as your iBook is still under warrenty, I would definetly recommend you bring it to apple, they can easily fix it. Maybe the fan being on all the time has caused it to wear down. Eitherway, it sounds like you have another problem with whatevers controlling the fan. Mention that to apple too, otherwise your new fan may wind up with the same problems.