Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Someone please explain this to me. Other than resale value, why do you care about scratches on your iPhone. I am talking about the sides and back mostly as I can see why scratches on the front screen could be an issue.

The reason I ask is that I see so many people who buy an iPhone and get a case on it as soon as they can so they do not get any scratches. The thing is though that those same people never ever ever have their phone naked. So if you can not see the surface that the scratches might be on then what is the big deal?

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I guess I am only talking about the people who buy a case because they do not want to get scratches. I am not talking about people who want to personalize or have some sort of impact protection.

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
well if you just paid 200 or 300 for a phone, wouldn't you want to protect that investment?? thats why I bought a case for my phone.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I am not saying you shouldn't protect it, but if you are protecting it from getting scratches on a surface you will never see anyway then why does it matter?

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
It would matter to me because I try to keep things that I own in the best possible condition. If I can do something to prevent damage to an item--regardless of whether or not I regularly see all sides of it--I'll do it.

Also, it helps the aforementioned resale value.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
Same reason why dont scratch your car! Respect for your things and want your expensive stuff to look nice!

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
And I know someone else mentioned this above, but in addition to the protection, I also like to use cases to personalize my phone a little bit. What I choose probably isn't what everyone else would, but for something I look at so many times a day I might as well make it pretty. :)

kattjeveln

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
OK I get what MrMinor is thinking. It's not like scratching your car as mentioned above, because the car is fully visible for your eyes to enjoy.

Your spanking new phone however, is not. Sure it's protected, but you won't see it. This is the reason why I'm either only getting a bumper, or a clear shield.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Same reason why dont scratch your car! Respect for your things and want your expensive stuff to look nice!
Well this is my point exactly because it is nothing like not scratching your car. You do not cover your car in a case so that you don't get scratches.

If you put a case on your iPhone so it "looks nice" and doesn't get scratches then you have a phone with a case that gets scuffs and scratches, but the actual phone under the case that you do not see stays scratch free. You don't ever see the part that stays scratch free though. You could just as easily put a majorly scratched phone under a case and it would look exactly like a brand new phone under a case. Unless you have X-ray vision no one would ever know the difference.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
OK I get what MrMinor is thinking. It's not like scratching your car as mentioned above, because the car is fully visible for your eyes to enjoy.

Your spanking new phone however, is not. Sure it's protected, but you won't see it. This is the reason why I'm either only getting a bumper, or a clear shield.
That is exactly what I am thinking.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
And I know someone else mentioned this above, but in addition to the protection, I also like to use cases to personalize my phone a little bit. What I choose probably isn't what everyone else would, but for something I look at so many times a day I might as well make it pretty. :)
I can understand all those reasons. That is why my question is only about scratch protection.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I get a case because I don't want to be tempted to buy the new iPhone when it comes out :D. If I don't use a case (despite taking very good care of my gadgets) it gets scratches and scuffs. Then steve comes out with a pretty and shiny iPhone and I glance at my baby and notice how worn it is.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Someone please explain this to me. Other than resale value, why do you care about scratches on your iPhone. I am talking about the sides and back mostly as I can see why scratches on the front screen could be an issue.

The reason I ask is that I see so many people who buy an iPhone and get a case on it as soon as they can so they do not get any scratches. The thing is though that those same people never ever ever have their phone naked. So if you can not see the surface that the scratches might be on then what is the big deal?

I didn't have a case on my old iPhone 3G. My husband did. We got significantly more money for his than for mine because his was in pristine condition. It helps resale value enough for me to put a case on my new iPhone 4.

Edit: I suppose what I'm saying is resale value is often the motivator. So maybe people don't need reasons "other than resale value"

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I didn't have a case on my old iPhone 3G. My husband did. We got significantly more money for his than for mine because his was in pristine condition. It helps resale value enough for me to put a case on my new iPhone 4.
That is the only reason that has ever made sense to me. Thanks.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
gotta protect your stuff from accidental damages...just like wearing a helmet and leathers when on a motorcycle...you may not fall but in the case you do you wanna be protected so you look your best when it counts.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I'm using a Zagg shield as well as a protective case. I always take care of my things, and no, it doesn't hurt the resale value either ;).

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
gotta protect your stuff from accidental damages...just like wearing a helmet and leathers when on a motorcycle...you may not fall but in the case you do you wanna be protected so you look your best when it counts.
You wear a helmet and leathers to protect from injury. A case to protect from scratches is just protecting the aesthetic value, but the process of protecting the aesthetic value destroys that very aesthetic by virtue of its function.

frikfrak

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007

The reason is simple: I don't want any scratches on my iPhone.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
The reason is simple: I don't want any scratches on my iPhone.
But why would it matter if you are never going to see the scratched surface? I could give you two iPhones already in cases. They could be identical aside from one being scratched to hell under the case and the other being pristine. Would you know the difference without taking the case off? Since you are a case user you never have your case off anyway so you would never know if it is scratched or not.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
But why would it matter if you are never going to see the scratched surface? I could give you two iPhones already in cases. They could be identical aside from one being scratched to hell under the case and the other being pristine. Would you know the difference without taking the case off? Since you are a case user you never have your case off anyway so you would never know if it is scratched or not.

I would never pay as much for a used gadget that was scratched, vs one that was pristine. Pretty much common sense, IMHO.

MrMinor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I would never pay as much for a used gadget that was scratched, vs one that was pristine. Pretty much common sense, IMHO.
That goes to the resale argument, which is valid, but if you are not planning on reselling then why does it matter? But again to my point, how would you know one was pristine and one was not if they both had cases on them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.