Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, I'm getting the high-end eMac for christmas (it's a "family" gift, but I'll be using it most of the time), but I'm wondering on the RAM. Should I just toss in an extra $50 and get 1x512 from apple? (PS, that brings the TOTAL to 512, it's not a 128+512) Or should I stick with the 256 it comes with, then buy a 512 stick elsewhere, for 768? If so, where can I find this kind of RAM? Is it recommended? Like is the eMac easy to take apart, and the RAM easy to install? Thanks!! ;)

zen_state

macrumors member
Littleodie914 said:
Hey guys, I'm getting the high-end eMac for christmas (it's a "family" gift, but I'll be using it most of the time), but I'm wondering on the RAM. Should I just toss in an extra $50 and get 1x512 from apple? (PS, that brings the TOTAL to 512, it's not a 128+512) Or should I stick with the 256 it comes with, then buy a 512 stick elsewhere, for 768? If so, where can I find this kind of RAM? Is it recommended? Like is the eMac easy to take apart, and the RAM easy to install? Thanks!! ;)

either crucial or other world computing would be best for ram. emac should be updated before christmas as its not the kinda product apple would really update for a macworld. I think apple will be far more focused on the powerbooks.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I would get the 1X512 upgrade for $50 from Apple. You can always add RAM later......so another 512MB RAM (go to ramseeker.com) for around $100 will get you to 1GB........which is what I'd recommend for great performance. But definitely have 512MB if you want good performance. 256MB is just not enough nowadays.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Get the 1x512mb as suggested, and then get another of the same. I get all my RAM from Crucial (www.crucial.com ), as it's guaranteed to work with the machine you're throwing it in.

Good luck, enjoy that new eMac when it comes! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.