PDA

View Full Version : Potential xServe/OSX Server Buyer Advice

dabirdwell
Nov 18, 2004, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

Well I have somehow managed to pick up my first consulting client and I need some advice. My primary responsibility with this company is not office technology but they are very busy and are asking for my help in moving to a new server and network. The president is aware of the benefits that can come with open source software and the MIS/IT guy is turning on to Apple hardware as I talk with him more, so what I am wondering is, how do I go about deciding if a G5 PowerMac or xServe with Panther Server is right for the company? A friend in IT suggested that he would try to get *two* other-brand servers for the price of an xServe and dedicate one to print and file sharing and have redundancy if one crashes.

This is a small engineering organization. The internal stuff shouldn't be too demanding at all, just email and sharing big files, and the website should get a fair number of hits, but nothing to which I'd dedicate a server.

Do I really need to be worried about system failure on a G5 with Panther Server? Should I consider a redundant server? How well will a PowerMac run as a server?

Thanks for any help.

edesignuk
Nov 18, 2004, 08:03 AM
Do I really need to be worried about system failure on a G5 with Panther Server? Should I consider a redundant server? How well will a PowerMac run as a server?Any business that cannot work (costing the company $$$) if the server is down for any period of time should always have a DR solution. 2 identical servers with replication would do the job, but it just depends on how important 100% uptime is to the company, and their budget.

At least 1 off-site tape backup of critical data should always be budgeted for no matter what.

dabirdwell
Nov 18, 2004, 07:25 PM
As it is, they don't even have a true server, just a peer-to-peer network where the "server" is really just another PC with a shared hard disk.

They aren't serving their own website or email at all right now.

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2004, 08:00 PM
Do they have any Macs right now that they can use as a Server right now?

If they do they may think of turning one of those into a Server with the limited/unlimited version (499/999) and see how things work out.

If they buy a server now... they will be paying for a new copy of the Tiger Server OS in a few months (unless they buy a 36 month maintenance plan for the OS which costs 999 -- as much as the Server OS)

---

Remember Tiger will be coming out, and that would probably be the time to buy a new Server unless they really need something now.

Plus this will give them some idea how well it will work for them (if they test just the OS out now.)

---

As far as PowerMac G5 vs. XServe -- the XServe includes HW monitoring and spare parts you can buy (beforehand) and install yourself, the PM G5 puts you at the mercy of Apple Care support.