Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WickedSick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Allright so my single 1.6ghz g5 Mac pro is finally ready to be put out to pasture. If thats any indication of how long I keep computers around before I upgrade then do you think upgrading to the i7 quad 27 inch from the i5 quad 27 inch would be a wise choice? I mostly intend to use the new imac for school, some games (Starcraft 2, DIablo III, Civilzation etc.) Not really doing anything other than that. But if I intend to keep the computer for an age do you think the i7's hyper threading would be beneficial to me later down the road? Help me HellHammer, you're my only hope!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well, your usage doesn't seem to benefit much from the HT but games in future will so I would get the i7. It's only 200$ but you don't have to regret it later on and you never know what you will do after 3 years for example. 200$ is only 10% more $ but i7 can be up to 30% faster due HT. The resale value will also be higher if you care about that

gbarlow

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Allright so my single 1.6ghz g5 Mac pro is finally ready to be put out to pasture. If thats any indication of how long I keep computers around before I upgrade then do you think upgrading to the i7 quad 27 inch from the i5 quad 27 inch would be a wise choice? I mostly intend to use the new imac for school, some games (Starcraft 2, DIablo III, Civilzation etc.) Not really doing anything other than that. But if I intend to keep the computer for an age do you think the i7's hyper threading would be beneficial to me later down the road? Help me HellHammer, you're my only hope!

I know I'm not hellhammer, but for the price difference now based on how long you're planning on keeping the computer and the fact that as time goes on the hyper threading will only become more useful than it is now I would say the cost is easily justifiable in my opinion :)

WickedSick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks guys. I'll purchase it right now. I just needed some kind words to tell me I wasn't blowing money on a needless upgrade. ;)

Maltkvist

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Sweden
Thanks guys. I'll purchase it right now. I just needed some kind words to tell me I wasn't blowing money on a needless upgrade. ;)

It's like you took words out of my mouth ;)
Was wondering the same thing as you did in your first post in this thread, and instead of making another thread I read this one and also got some kind words on my upcoming purchase of the i7 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.