Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Power Support anti-glare screen protector. Have heard rave reviews about it. Just curious...has anyone here used this or any other anti-glare screen protector and then decided that the trade off in clarity or color was just too much, and eventually went back to a naked ipad?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I did . . .

I used PS for about 2 days. Nothing against PS--it might be the best of its kind. Just did not like the tradeoff. For my use anti-glare was just not as much of a draw. It depends how important the antiglare is to you. As far as smudges go, I found the fastest way to get rid of them is to turn the iPad on! I went with a folio style case to give me some screen protection.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I used PS for about 2 days. Nothing against PS--it might be the best of its kind. Just did not like the tradeoff. For my use anti-glare was just not as much of a draw. It depends how important the antiglare is to you. As far as smudges go, I found the fastest way to get rid of them is to turn the iPad on! I went with a folio style case to give me some screen protection.

The smudges and fingerprints don't annoy me as much as the reflections. I was working out last night on my elliptical walker while watching "Surrogates" on my iPad. It was very distracting seeing my reflection superimposed on the movie!

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
The smudges and fingerprints don't annoy me as much as the reflections. I was working out last night on my elliptical walker while watching "Surrogates" on my iPad. It was very distracting seeing my reflection superimposed on the movie!

I agree-no question it is really reflective! I just missed the sharpness when reading and the punch with photos.

Apple all life

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Ny
I bought the SGP anti fingerprint and kept it on for a week. But the trade off was to great and I just removed it. I missed the screen to much.

crh3ff

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
bought the Griffin one, and am very close to removing it. Works well against glare, and that's my only holdup (that and the $$ I dropped on it)...I like not having glare! However, it holds grease much more than the native screen and yeah, the "pop" of the screen is gone.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I used PS anti-glare from day one of owning my iPad, but I recently became curious to know what that nice display looked like naked. I removed the film and enjoyed a few weeks of its gorgeous screen before tiring of the nasty fingerprint look. I also enjoy the way my fingers slide across the screen protector much better than on the naked glass, so yesterday I put it back on. I am thrilled to have it back. No glare, less smudges, and I love it.

surfbo740

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Gainesville, FL
My SGP AF came in about 2 weeks after I purchased my iPad, and while I did definitely notice an impact on clarity of text, etc it was minimal compared to the benefits. The fact that I could actually see my iPad's screen (without giant glowing lights/reflections) outside of a darkened room far far outweighted the minimal loss of clarity. Additionally as other have mentioned, my fingers can "glide" across the screen now vs being somewhat sticky/smudgy on the glass. Those benefits combined with no fingerprints/smudges ensure the only reason I'll ever take this thing off are to maybe try out Power Support's similar product.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
PS on for good

I've had a PS antiglare protector on since May (when I got my iPad). Love love love it. Makes the iPad usable in many situations where I don't want a mirror. I suppose there is some kind of clarity tradeoff, but I'm not discriminating enough to care. (I don't regret giving up vinyl records for CDs either.) As an added bonus, the screen is protected from scratches etc. so I can scruff it up and still protect my investment.

I can't stand glossy, except on my iphone where the screen is small enough that the mirror effect isn't distracting. My MBP is matte and my ACD is matte, and I'll be using these until they fall apart if Apple doesn't offer matte versions of them. :p

P.S. I'm now using the Camera Connection Kit to download my DSLR pics, and it's working excellently. No discernible degradation of image. Of course I will use my laptop for editing and photo tweaking. But for display purposes, the iPad is marvelous.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
To echo what was said above. I had mine on almost from launch. I hate the fingerprints and glare something awful. About two weeks ago I pulled it off hoping to get back some of the sharpness I've been missing after being spoiled by the iPhone 4 display.

Now I find myself wanting it back maybe I'll try the crystal film when my new case arrives. Nothing like the look of a 200 case being ruined by the look of nasty greasy fingerprints on the screen.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Alright, just did it. Pulled the trigger. My PS anti-glare film should arrive in a few days. The final straw was when during lunch I tried to watch a movie and the movie was marred by reflections of my face and overhead lights.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I've owned anti glare film for 4 generations of iPhones and the iPad. I took them off a couple of times and couldn't last a day without putting them back on. The glare is just too distracting, not to mention fingerprints.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I am really considering removing my ps protector, for the reasons stated in the other thread. I want to like it, the imperfections suck, I am also getting curious about the screen without one again. The Eason I won't for now is outing it back on after would be a huge pain, I have no place to store it, and it would probably get caked with dust particles. From what I have seen it's not easy to reapply.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I was never clear on this, you can remove the PS screen and then reapply it with no problems. I always thought skins were one time use.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I was never clear on this, you can remove the PS screen and then reapply it with no problems. I always thought skins were one time use.

Every screen protector I have purchased has been "reusable" however...trying to reuse it and have it look decent I don't think is possible.

Maybe with the power support ones...but I have heard of more people who have thrown them out with frustrations trying to apply than I have heard of people who have been able to reuse them.

They just pick up way too much dust once they are removed from the backing.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Power Support anti-glare screen protector. Have heard rave reviews about it. Just curious...has anyone here used this or any other anti-glare screen protector and then decided that the trade off in clarity or color was just too much, and eventually went back to a naked ipad?

Had a Power Support Anti-Glare since day one but recently had to remove because I thought I had a dead pixel, which I did. Had my iPad replaced and used it without a screen protector for about a week. Never used Anti-Glare again. But I have to confess that I do have a clear overlay on it now.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I just removed the matte screen from ps. Absolutely night and day. Forget it, I'd rather protect it in other ways, deal with glare, etc...especially as a photographer, it's a huge hit in clarity. Amazing diff. Much more like the retina...I'd forgotten since I had the ps antiglare on since mid may.

crh3ff

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Just took off the Griffin protector i was using, and will never go back to anti-glare. Love being naked. Love the smooth feel under my fingers. Love the appearance...It's beautiful, even when sleeping..

Jesus, am i talking about an iPad or a woman?

Trapped Wind

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
San Francisco
I dropped into the Apple Store this week to get an anti-glare screen and the chick behind the counter said it would scratch the screen. Anybody know the skinny on this?

crh3ff

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
I dropped into the Apple Store this week to get an anti-glare screen and the chick behind the counter said it would scratch the screen. Anybody know the skinny on this?

Yeah, that adhesive and thin plastic are certainly harder than the high-tech glass screen on an iPad!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
flipangle said:
Just curious...has anyone here used this or any other anti-glare screen protector and then decided that the trade off in clarity or color was just too much, and eventually went back to a naked ipad?

I've been using the PS anti-glare for the past 2-3 months. At first, and for most of the past couple of months, the loss of sharpness/clarity didn't really bother me, and was totally worth the trade off. But for the past week or so, it began to bother me for some reason. The last straw was looking at an iPad in an Apple Store today..... the different was way too apparent.

I took it off, and the screen looks so much better. It was almost as if the screen was slightly cloudy before.

The protector is back on the sheet it came on just in case I ever want to put it on again (doubtful).

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I had the PS anti-glare and loved everything about it except the reduction in clarity of the crispness of the screen. I took it off in about a week and went to the PS crystal screen protector. It does nothing for glare but protects the screen and leaves the screen looking and feeling like naked only better as it's protected.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Nothing better than the real thing ;). I used an anti-protector for less than a day. Not sure what I was thinking of. It's better left naked. You don't notice smudges and fingerprints with the iPad turned on so I see no need for it. With it off I'll clean it once in awhile, takes 5 seconds. I'm not sure how you can get scratches on it unless maybe you do it on purpose. Beautiful screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.