PDA

View Full Version : Google Launches Academic Search for Scholars & Scientists

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2004, 11:07 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Google Launches Academic Search for Scholars & Scientists (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041118120746)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jbembe
Nov 18, 2004, 11:43 AM
somebody post the article please...

wordmunger
Nov 18, 2004, 12:18 PM
Wow, this is very cool. Check it out at scholar.google.com (http://scholar.google.com). This is way overdue!

palusami
Nov 18, 2004, 01:33 PM
yes, very cool indeed. Here's a blurb from Google:

"Google Scholar enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web.

Just as with Google Web Search, Google Scholar orders your search results by how relevant they are to your query, so the most useful references should appear at the top of the page. This relevance ranking takes into account the full text of each article as well as the article's author, the publication in which the article appeared and how often it has been cited in scholarly literature. Google Scholar also automatically analyzes and extracts citations and presents them as separate results, even if the documents they refer to are not online. This means your search results may include citations of older works and seminal articles that appear only in books or other offline publications."

jbembe
Nov 18, 2004, 02:21 PM
For articles it gives you a link "cited 17" referring to other articles that reference that article. Very nice feature. :)

nsb3000
Nov 18, 2004, 04:45 PM
somebody post the article please...

Free registration is hardly much to ask for the nation's most reputable news source.

mkrishnan
Nov 18, 2004, 05:06 PM
This is pretty neat. I guess if you proxy server to your university, you should mostly be able to get institutional access to journals through this. It's like Pubmed but so much more than medical research. :D

Santaduck
Nov 18, 2004, 05:08 PM
hmmm i wonder if this will be a one-stop shop to search out full-text PDFs from nonproprietary services or random web sources.

University libraries seeming change their electronic search capabilities every year, and if you learn one system for looking up references, it's obsolete soon afterwards. This might be an interesting partial solution, although of course I don't know how it handles proprietary data (subscription) data feeds.

I'd be curious if someone dug up an article by a Library professional's news source, either from a library administration standpoint, or a database tech one.

balconycollapse
Nov 18, 2004, 06:06 PM
bugmenot.com

screw registrations

--------

I wonder what will happen when google decides to play hardball. Right now they are everybodys friend but it will be interesting to see how they treat competition