Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is "looking into" reports of issues being experienced by iPhone 3G users who have upgraded to the company's new iOS 4. Discussion forums at Apple, MacRumors, and elsewhere have been filling with reports from users experiencing problems with system responsiveness, battery drains, and overheating.
The most common criticism is that the phone is slow after an upgrade. There are also many complaints that the phone drains the battery quickly and becomes excessively hot. Concern about general problems such as slowness and battery life on gadgets isn't unusual, but using iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G seems to make the problems so bad that the phone is nearly unusable for some people.
In venting their frustration, some users have even gone so far as to create parody videos demonstrating the iPhone 3G's inability to run iOS 4 smoothly.

Meanwhile, some reports have indicated that iOS 4.1, currently in beta testing by developers, will address these issues to some degree.

Apple has made clear since the initial introduction of iOS 4 in April that the new operating system is not fully compatible with all generations of the iPhone and iPod touch due to hardware limitations, with only limited compatibility for the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch suggesting that those models are being pushed to their limits with some of iOS 4's features. Users, however, understandably expected that Apple's steps to disable certain resource-intensive features on those devices should have left the remaining features operating relatively smoothly. That does not, however, appear to be the case for some users.

Article Link: Apple Looking Into Reports of Problems With iOS 4 on iPhone 3G

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Interesting....usually hot devices and dead batteries come from overworked processors....or hung processes.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
For someone to have made that, time placed into the production could have gone into gone into something more profitable that could have earned him an iPhone 4. Be happy there was an upgrade!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I downgraded my 3G, because of the freezes and the lag. Thank goodness that I had a 3G or I would've been stuck with iOS 4.

BayouMan

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
yep

I upgraded my 3G to iOS 4 when the update became available. I noticed an immediate slowdown of its responsiveness and a MUCH shorter time between needed recharges of the battery. (about every eleven hours each day in fact)

Then I received my iP4. After migrating from one phone to the next, I allowed iTunes to take the 3G back to original state (in effect wiping and downgrading it) and sold it to a 15 year old kid with the advice to stick to version 3 of the OS. (he did)

It was an experiment anyway, one it sounds like a lot of people tried. It just didn't work. And no, I'm not gonna sue. I'm sure somebody somewhere will. Because that's the way they troll. :(

erockerboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
SEA, WA, US
Glad it's not just me.

I have been meaning to check the Apple discussion boards to see if anyone else was experiencing this issue. Hope 4.1 leads to a fix...

Anyone know if it is possible to "downgrade" one's iPhone to a previous version of the OS? :D

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
This is EXACTLY how my 3G behaves running iOS4!!! I swear it was a cheap ploy to make me upgrade my phone to a 3GS, or iPhone 4. I can't keep using this thing. It's driving me nuts.

umag

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Excellent! Hope they optimize the Software to run well on the 3G.
Other company wouldn't do, but we expect Apple should.

...oh well, but I forgot the word "marketing..." :D

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Dear Apple

"not fully compatible" is night/day from "Runs like s*** up a creek".

Se--se--se--se--se--se-se-nt from an i-i-i-i-i-Phone 3G

Citizen Dildo

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I guess when you sell millions and millions of phones, there will always be a few thousand that have issues.

LOL - what total fanboy BS. I assume you're discounting the inherent design flaw included with every single one of them?

Given the release of all the new products the other day, this has continued to be an appalling month for Apple.

sunny1985

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
video

i love the video to demonstrate the issue with ios4 on the 3G i also had the same problem with it haha!

Momus

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Apparently disabling spotlight search helps

Anyone want to try and report back?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
My iPhone 3G had been running like a dog since the last update to iOS 3, so I'm not sure I can purely blame it on iOS 4, but yes, my iPhone 3G (now in my wife's hands) is nearly unusable with how slow it is. I'm glad they are addressing it and not going with the line of "you should just upgrade to a faster phone"

The worst is typing... it can sometimes take about 10 seconds for each key press to register. Sad :(

erockerboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
SEA, WA, US
3G vs. 3GS

OK, I just read the WSJ article. Looks like this topic only refers to the 3G, not the 3GS. In my case, my 3GS has been suffering from substantial slowdowns since I upgraded to iOS 4. Can anyone else corroborate this behavior with the 3GS?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.