PDA

View Full Version : Hubbuddy.com

arn
Aug 18, 2002, 06:02 PM
I created hubbuddy over a year ago... and it was meant to fill a specfiic need.

My thoughts in creating the site was from thinking back to what made people come back to a site - and mostly, it's loyalty... and real interest in the content provided.

Hubbuddy was meant to be a personal messageboard for you and your friends... which certainly exist... but also by using "hubs" or groups of friends that were brought together into one single page.

Each person is a part of many hubs... so you can see posts by those people in your hubs. The central thought is that you shouldn't be able to post to or see posts from those that aren't in one of your hubs...

So if Joe and I are in a hub. And Joe and Peter and in a hub. I won't be able to post anything for Peter to see and vice-versa.

See the intro (http://www.hubbuddy.com/intro.html).

Anyway... i've been using hubbuddy with my friends, and their friends... and it's been very useful... and a good replacement for the spam-pool that is email. I never got around to opening it up to the public for various reasons... including support, limitation of downloads/uploads, possible extra serverload/bandwidth.

Anyhow - thoughts/comments?

arn

arn
Aug 18, 2002, 06:05 PM
here's a sample image of my current page

arn

Royal Pineapple
Aug 18, 2002, 07:00 PM
i saw your link to this in the private forum, and i checked it out. it loocks cool but i have no friends so its not for me ;)

i use AIM to communicate
and occasionally the telephone, but not often.

arn
Aug 18, 2002, 07:15 PM
Yeah - it's not really something for friends who live near you... once you move a few times, and gather friends that are seperated by distance, it makes it more useful...

arn

job
Aug 18, 2002, 07:25 PM
I like the concept since I have friends in England and Germany, but I'm using my own forums to keep in touch.

I might be interested later though if I can't upgrade my forum account....

arn
Aug 18, 2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by hitman
I like the concept since I have friends in England and Germany, but I'm using my own forums to keep in touch.

I might be interested later though if I can't upgrade my forum account....

who do you use? or are you hosting forums yourself?

arn

Durandal7
Aug 18, 2002, 07:58 PM
It is certainly a good idea, I don't remember seeing any sites like it before. I think you should open it to the public and start marketing it, maybe you could scrap up a little ad revenue to keep all your sites going.

job
Aug 18, 2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by arn

who do you use? or are you hosting forums yourself?

arn

I'm using Ikonboard. At the moment, I can't host the forums myself, although I'd like to.

I'm using their free forum service. I'm thinking about upgrading and paying a monthly fee to remove all adverts and to allow me to customise my board. It's also a remotely hosted service.

The URL is http://server2.ikonboard.com/thehub/

But atm I'm having some problems loading the URL....

BTW the Off Topic and International forums are just really random discussion between my friends in England, Germany and Texas in case you were wondering. And I mean really random... ;)

eyelikeart
Aug 19, 2002, 12:49 AM
I'm wondering how well this would work for www.thefotohaus.com?

may be a good tool to get people's feedback on the site...?