PDA

View Full Version : Bump on all PB 15's???

srphoto
Nov 18, 2004, 12:48 PM
Is there a bump on all PB 15's?? I have a slight protrusion sticking out of my PB "15 Superdrive, and my friend who just got a refurbished PB 15 Combo has one in the exact same place!!!! What is this all about??

The bump is right on top of the release button for the screen. You know where the light pulses when the PB is sleeping. Its small but noticeable, and u can easily feel it if u run your finger along the width of the PB.

What can I do about this?? Will Apple give me a new PB or fix it at least.

James Craner
Nov 18, 2004, 01:05 PM
I don't have a bump on my powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz. Can you post a picture of yours?

varmit
Nov 18, 2004, 01:10 PM
its will probably be concidered cosmetic to apple, and they wont replace it. It doesn't affect its ability to work correctly. But I'm sure they would like to hear about it, incase both PBs came from the same place, thus some manufacture in China is beating up PB cases and making them look bad.

srphoto
Nov 18, 2004, 01:25 PM
I will post pics later im in a rush and just wanted to check the thread...

palusami
Nov 18, 2004, 01:36 PM
strange, i don't recall a bump on mine either. i'd be surprised if apple were to take this as a return.

srphoto
Nov 18, 2004, 01:56 PM
here goes...

Toe
Nov 18, 2004, 02:03 PM
That looks like a warp in the casing to me...

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I'd try taking it to the Genius Bar and asking if its covered.

KingSleaze
Nov 18, 2004, 02:46 PM
Nope, sorry. No 'bump' on mine, either.

G4scott
Nov 18, 2004, 03:20 PM
Hmm, I've got one on my 12" PowerBook... Mine's an original model, probably from the first batch... Of course, it's been dropped once, but that drop probably has nothing to do with this bump... Unless maybe my screen not lining up by 1 millimeter would do something like that, but I doubt it...

It's just cosmetic for me, and not a big deal, although recently, when I close my PowerBook, the latch sometimes doesn't come out of it's "hole", and I have to pry it out to keep my PowerBook closed...

srphoto
Nov 18, 2004, 05:20 PM
Is your bump in the same place???
And do u think that your problems with closing your PB is related to the bump?? :eek:
If so I will make sure it gets fixed.....

srphoto
Nov 20, 2004, 06:12 PM
Hmmm I thought this would interest more people...
I geuss i'm the only one with this problem.

atari1356
Nov 20, 2004, 06:49 PM
No bump on mine, for what it's worth.

Jaz
Nov 20, 2004, 07:04 PM
No bump on mine either. Looks cosmetic but that may be enough of an issue to want it fixed. I would for the price PB's cost.

DanTekGeek
Nov 20, 2004, 07:05 PM
is it just the metal that is warped? or is there something behind it that is pushing it out. If its just the metal, and its really,really bothering you, you could try and tap it into place. if you do decide to do this, be VERY carefull.

srphoto
Nov 21, 2004, 05:31 PM
I dont think there is anything behind it pushing the caseing out.
Iv'e been thinking about how this may have happened, and I realized that my friend has a refurbished PB and I bought a "open box" which means that in both our cases there may have been a technician who opend up the casing and this may be the point where they pry it open.
Does anybody know the technique of opening the casing of a PB, G4 Aliminum?? Does this theory make sense???

aussie_geek
Nov 21, 2004, 05:37 PM
Definately take it to an AppleCentre dude. They may replace the bottom half of your PowerBook. I know that is what I would like done...

aussie_geek

aus_dave
Nov 21, 2004, 05:56 PM
Does anybody know the technique of opening the casing of a PB, G4 Aliminum?? Does this theory make sense???I seem to remember a member posting here who had some experience in opening up PBs and putting them back together.

From memory it was pretty tricky to get the case back together neatly, even for someone that has done a few of them. I imagine PBs are not really designed with this in mind.

Counterfit
Nov 21, 2004, 06:18 PM
I have a few of these on mine actually. One on the top case, to the right of the power button. Two on the bottom case, above the Superdrive slot, and one on the bottom case above the PC Card slot. When I sent it in for a logic board and display replacement, the Genius bar guy noted the bulges, which aren't as extreme as yours, but I was called by the service center and told they weren't covered. That was fine by me, because I was more worried about the logic board not being covered :o

srphoto
Nov 21, 2004, 06:48 PM
Its not that I want to open the case and repair the bump.
I'm just wondering if the cause of the bump is opening it. Do u have to pry the top case from the bottom to open the whole thing?? B/c that would explain the bump, and then Apple should repair it for me as it was the fault of their techie...
:confused:

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 21, 2004, 07:41 PM
no bump on mine...

cb911
Nov 23, 2004, 04:41 AM
holy cow!! that's no bump! :eek: you've got some tweaked out bodywork, man! :eek:

so you noticed this after it came back from a service? perhaps it was a techie that did it. but you'd think it would require a fair bit of force to do that...

but what model PB is that we're talking about? current model?

FWIW - i don't have any bumps, 1st rev AlPB.

russed
Nov 23, 2004, 05:33 AM
my 12" pb has one just to the right of the lid release button. it has been there all the time i have had it. it doesnt really bother me any more. i think of it as adding character!

srphoto
Nov 23, 2004, 10:00 AM
My PB is a new PB 15" 1.5 ghz with superdrive, which i got at a "open box" price which means the box was opened then returned within 30 days. A techie then checks out the PB to make sure its ok to sell...
My geuss is the techie had to open the case and the way to do it is to it pry open.
Just my theory. I need someone who KNOWS to let me know if it makes sense so when i go to the Apple store i can know what im talking about.
Thanks!

Daveway
Nov 23, 2004, 10:46 AM
I've seen about 7 different Powerbooks and none of them had this deformity. I read somewhere that Apple will not cover cosmetic damages in its portables because they would assume that you dropped it and that happened.

I think Apple needs to jump on the bandwagon and offer accidental damage protection like all the other PC companies. Especially since Apple sells the most premium of laptops.

I would still talk to your local genius and get his/her word on it. I know i wouldn't want that kind of defect in a notebook i paid upwards of $2000 for.

srphoto
Nov 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
Once again my question is does it make sense to say that this bump comes from a techie opening the PB??

cb911
Nov 24, 2004, 01:00 AM
yeah, i guess that's a pretty fair guess. i mean looking at where it is... you can see that it would had to have been pryed out from the inside of the case. i don't see how that could happen at all from dropping it... and you can see the plastic around that area - it's not marked at all, so that's more evidence that suggests the case was off when it happend (or at least the keyboard would have to be off...)

but definitely go to Apple with it. as someone already mentioned - it could be from the assembly line, and that's not a good thing, Apple would want to get it sorted out quick.

you've got nothing to lose i guess. take it in, state your case (that there's no way you did this, not possible from a drop, etc.) and see what they'll do.

Graeme A
Nov 24, 2004, 04:40 AM
My 17" PB developed that little bulge in the same place as yours, and trust me... NO tools ever got near my PB in the time that it occured.

I always guessed that it was due to the heat of the machine being on for a long time and in the heat of the Caribbean.

srphoto
Nov 25, 2004, 12:56 AM
I geuss I'm gonna go in to a Apple store on friday. I hear there are sales then anyway so i'm gonna go check it out.

Thanx Graeme, it helps to know other ppls experience anyway...

Counterfit
Nov 25, 2004, 03:23 AM
I always guessed that it was due to the heat of the machine being on for a long time and in the heat of the Caribbean. It's probably not even that. I think it occurred in the manufacturing stage. Does anyone know how most of the case parts are made? I think they're either stamped (then anodized) or possibly cast, but they seem too light and intricate for that.