PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.5

Toe
Nov 18, 2004, 02:01 PM
Tiger is such old news... what do you think will be new in 10.5?

:D

I think by that point, they will be trying for completely portable identities. So you can access your account from any device anywhere on the internet. That's what Tiger will introduce for the Enterprise, but I don't know if they'll be able to get it to the general public (ie, people without OS X Server) until 10.5.

varmit
Nov 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
I'm sure at some point, they will do home directories on the iPod.

Will Curran
Nov 18, 2004, 06:11 PM
10.5 is old news. How about OS 11. I think it'll be named after bird!
Well my guess on code name for 10.5 will be.. Sabertooth (only cat name I could think of)

jackieonasses
Nov 18, 2004, 06:16 PM
10.5 is old news. How about OS 11. I think it'll be named after bird!
Well my guess on code name for 10.5 will be.. Sabertooth (only cat name I could think of) Lion? Lemur? Ocelot (wait i think that one was used) Siamese?

hmmfe
Nov 18, 2004, 06:28 PM
Lion? Lemur? Ocelot (wait i think that one was used) Siamese?

Umm, are you sure you meant Lemur? Last I checked, a Lemur was a primate not a cat. Though, with evolution and all things might have recently changed :confused:

chameeeleon
Nov 18, 2004, 06:47 PM
The question is how long Apple will go on with OSX before, like someone else said, completely revamping everything again and swapping to OS11. Another question would be whether or not the OS after 11 would bring 12 or 11.1. Would 12 carry (roughly) the same interface and style as 11, or totally revamp everything as OS9 -OSX did? And what will Apple do once they start to get to ugly numbers like OS17, or OS39 (which isn't as bad as software App names like "iTunes 9" Something about it written just doesn't look right). What WILL the Mac distant distant future hold? Only Apple knows (actually, chances are even they haven't planned out OS 11 yet).

Will Curran
Nov 18, 2004, 07:05 PM
Lion? Lemur? Ocelot (wait i think that one was used) Siamese?
Ah... Lion will be 10.5, and Sabertooth will be 10.6
When it comes back we ought to check back at this post.

10.5:
iChat:
6 Person Video Chat
15 Person Audio Chat

iTunes 5 will be out

Apple will make a irc client

Apple will have flash based iPod, and there will be G5 Powerbook, but iBooks, and eMacs will stay G4

Apple will have announced it's cell-phone line, and it's new pda line..

Apple will win the battle against Apple Corps.

----
Far Future

They will be planning to take down Microsoft after a 11 billion dollar loss after Billy made a bad gambel.

Due to the win on the battle against Apple Corps, Apple makes it's own CD label for artists such as U2!

Steve Jobs will own 3 more major companies...Disney, Coca-cola, and McDonalds

Macs will be wireless superb, because wifi will be avaliable worldwide where ever you go.. while cell phone companies are still trying to have coverage everywhere

OS 10.8 will have new computers like the tablet mac.

By OS 11 Microsoft will not exist, but rather a new competitor to Apple which is virus free, and never crashes, Apple is still the underdog

By OS 12 I will be head of Apple

World peace!
Oh wait nvm, that's something that will never happen.

Sorry it's a little off topic

ravenvii
Nov 18, 2004, 07:07 PM
Maybe they'll just continue with the name OS X. Like, OS X 39 or something.

Toe
Nov 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
The text "OS11" doesn't seem very appealing. Looks too much like 0511, whatever the heck that is. Somebody's bank PIN?

But if they sitck with the roman numerals, they would have "OSXI." The Bushification (ie, mispronunciation) of that would be "Oh, Sexy!"

Cute... but I can't see Apple having to stick with that for another five years or so.

I think they're going to milk this X for everything they can.

mklos
Nov 18, 2004, 08:54 PM
I think Mac OS XI (11) will be a 100% 64-bit OS. That would be reason enough to go from say Mac OS XVII (7) to OS XI (11). A 64-bit OS would be a major upgrade. And yes, it would require people to buy a new Mac if they don't have one with a 64-bit processor in it which will piss a lot of people off, but hell Apple made people do it with Mac OS 10.0, why not Mac OS 11!

jackieonasses
Nov 18, 2004, 09:08 PM
Umm, are you sure you meant Lemur? Last I checked, a Lemur was a primate not a cat. Though, with evolution and all things might have recently changed :confused: haha i was being sarcastic....i guess i suck at it.

G5orbust
Nov 20, 2004, 12:46 AM
10.5?! We dont even know about all the features of 10.4 yet!!!!

apple2991
Nov 20, 2004, 02:11 AM
I think Mac OS XI (11) will be a 100% 64-bit OS. That would be reason enough to go from say Mac OS XVII (7) to OS XI (11)

Wouldn't OSXII be OS 17, not 7?

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 06:48 AM

10.5:
iChat:
6 Person Video Chat
15 Person Audio Chat

iTunes 5 will be out

Apple will have flash based iPod, and there will be G5 Powerbook, but iBooks, and eMacs will stay G4

----
Far Future

They will be planning to take down Microsoft after a 11 billion dollar loss after Billy made a bad gambel.

Due to the win on the battle against Apple Corps, Apple makes it's own CD label for artists such as U2!

Macs will be wireless superb, because wifi will be avaliable worldwide where ever you go.. while cell phone companies are still trying to have coverage everywhere

By OS 11 Microsoft will not exist, but rather a new competitor to Apple which is virus free, and never crashes, Apple is still the underdog

World peace!

No, I think you're a little off as far as iTunes versions go. iTunes 5 is scheduled for release as part of iLife '05 in 2005. By the time Mac OS X 10.5 is released, we'll be up to iTunes 6 at least, unless Mac OS X 10.5 isn't released until 2007, in which case iTunes 7 will come with Mac OS X 10.5.

grabberslasher
Nov 20, 2004, 06:49 AM
10.5 will have a totally new meta data base filesystem which is being designed for absolute speed.

That's all I know

kettle
Nov 20, 2004, 07:04 AM
10.5 will have a totally new meta data base filesystem which is being designed for absolute speed.

That's all I know

I thought that was spotlight?

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 07:19 AM
I thought that was spotlight?
Not quite, kettle. Spotlight isn't a database-driven file system - all it boils down to is a collection of highly optimized searchable databases that are integrated into the system so that any application can use them. Spotlight is potentially as good as a database-driven filesystem, without all the disadvantages. The only downside to Spotlight is the long delay when you start Tiger for the first time, and Spotlight needs to index everything on your hard drive for later searching.

wdlove
Nov 20, 2004, 11:50 AM
Maybe we will see 10.5 in 4th quarter 2006. Sometime around the holidays, that way everyone should be in a spending mood.

x86isslow
Nov 20, 2004, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't OSXII be OS 17, not 7?

actually, OS XII would be 12 :p

Felix_the_Mac
Nov 20, 2004, 05:18 PM
Maybe we will see 10.5 in 4th quarter 2006. Sometime around the holidays, that way everyone should be in a spending mood.

Yeah ... I'm hoping that 10.5 will arrive at the same time as MS Losthorn.

(and I betting on 28 Feb 2005 for Tiger ... is that a Tuesday?)

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah ... I'm hoping that 10.5 will arrive at the same time as MS Losthorn.

(and I betting on 28 Feb 2005 for Tiger ... is that a Tuesday?)
Feb 28 2005 is a Monday, according to iCal...but March 1st is a Tuesday, so that seems likely as a release date.

kettle
Nov 21, 2004, 08:17 AM
Not quite, kettle. Spotlight isn't a database-driven file system - all it boils down to is a collection of highly optimized searchable databases that are integrated into the system so that any application can use them. Spotlight is potentially as good as a database-driven filesystem, without all the disadvantages. The only downside to Spotlight is the long delay when you start Tiger for the first time, and Spotlight needs to index everything on your hard drive for later searching.

But any changes to the index subsequently are done when files are added or modified during saving, is that the idea? So it's not like you have to update the index once a week or whatever with the search taking up all system resources.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 21, 2004, 08:43 AM
But any changes to the index subsequently are done when files are added or modified during saving, is that the idea? So it's not like you have to update the index once a week or whatever with the search taking up all system resources.
Correct! Mac OS X takes care of updating the index for you.

Anyway, I've been wondering when Apple would deploy the HFSX file system technology they've been working on. When HFSX is deployed, Mac OS X will get better for it, but Classic will either have to be eliminated or forced onto an HFS Plus partition.

dual64bit
Nov 21, 2004, 09:57 AM

10.5:
iChat:
6 Person Video Chat
15 Person Audio Chat

iTunes 5 will be out

----
Far Future

World peace!

Now that is funny! Who knows, do you think people are working on 10.5+ now? Is Steve thinking that far ahead?

wrldwzrd89
Nov 21, 2004, 01:46 PM
Now that is funny! Who knows, do you think people are working on 10.5+ now? Is Steve thinking that far ahead?
It's quite possible that work on Mac OS X 10.5 has already begun. What I do know is that major work will not start until Tiger is released so the Panther team doesn't have to do quite so much work on Panther.

zen_state
Nov 21, 2004, 07:03 PM
apple openly announced right around the time they first started talking about tiger that once it was out the release of new OS would slow down. when you think about it apple has spoiled us with OSX updates. 4 complete os revisions in 4 years is pretty amazing.

tiger seems ok but the small amout I have used it left me wanting panther. unless the gui gets much faster in the final I will be sticking with panther. 10.3 isn't their best selling and most used os ever for nothing.