PDA

View Full Version : Firefox: First impressions

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Firefox: First impressions (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041118151021)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Santaduck
Nov 18, 2004, 05:10 PM
Nice, a review of Firefox from a macuser's viewpoint; I'd like to see more.

I don't think he's used it enough to see OS X Firefox's bugginess compared to the Windows version...

Thanks for the submission!

Fender2112
Nov 18, 2004, 05:46 PM
I diffently agree about the bookmarks. This is the main reason I have not totally switched. I'm too lazy to cut and past all of the url's.

I do disagree about the page rendering. On my Mac (DP G5 2.0) Firefox renders noticablly faster.

I do like the polished look of Safarri. I guess the platinum look has grown on me.

One thing I do find annoying with Firefox is the reaction of the scroll ring on my Kensington Turbo Mouse. If a page has scrollable frames such as this message board, you have to click out of the text box to activate scrolling for the main window. With Safarri all I do slide the cursor out the text box and scroll down while leaving the text box active. It's small thing though.

wordmunger
Nov 18, 2004, 08:55 PM
I diffently agree about the bookmarks. This is the main reason I have not totally switched. I'm too lazy to cut and past all of the url's.

Check out the comments thread on the article. There are a couple different ways to move your bookmarks to Firefox: you can either export using the debug menu, or use the Safari Bookmark Exporter app. Then import into Firefox using the "import" command under Bookmarks Manager.

shamino
Nov 19, 2004, 09:38 AM
I don't think he's used it enough to see OS X Firefox's bugginess compared to the Windows version...
I've been using it (on both platforms) for well over a year and I haven't seen this either. The only Firefox bugs I've personally encountered exist on both platforms.

bousozoku
Nov 19, 2004, 10:54 AM
I've been using it (on both platforms) for well over a year and I haven't seen this either. The only Firefox bugs I've personally encountered exist on both platforms.

Until version 1.0 RC2, there were a lot of Mac only bugs. It seems that everything is pretty much the same now.

wordmunger
Nov 19, 2004, 12:34 PM
Re: Windows versus Mac Firefox errors.

Not really an issue for Mac users, anyway, is it? After all, we're Mac users because we don't want to use Windows.