Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosrocket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I am posting this here instead of on the Windows on the Mac forum as I have received no responses there.

I would like to know if there is any third party program that will allow me to reduce the display brightness of the 27” iMac when running Windows 7. Even with the display brightness turned all the way down in the bootcamp control panel it’s still way too bright, and much brighter than the lowest settings running OS X.

PCforever?

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Hi
If you're running Windows in Bootcamp, you should have a bootcamp (control panel?)icon in your task tray(down the bottom on the right hand side). This will allow you too adjust brightness.
cheers
:rolleyes:

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Topic creator specifically said he already turned brightness down all the way in the control panel. F.lux only seemed to adjust display color, and not actually further lower the backlight intensity.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Could it be that the ambient light sensor isn't working?

Check to see if you see a change in brightness when you cover the built in iSight.

If it thinks it is super bright in the room it will try to compensate. You may have to reinstall the driver for the light sensor.

B

tetralite

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
I am posting this here instead of on the Windows on the Mac forum as I have received no responses there.

I would like to know if there is any third party program that will allow me to reduce the display brightness of the 27” iMac when running Windows 7. Even with the display brightness turned all the way down in the bootcamp control panel it’s still way too bright, and much brighter than the lowest settings running OS X.

Really frustrating! I found the Desktop Lighter program (free) that sorta works, but still doesn't quite lower the brightness enough -- almost, though! Still hurts my eyes. I have the Bootcamp brightness all the way down and Desktop Lighter all the way down. The backlight is still too bright and I have the desktop set to display solid black color. The mouse pointer is not affected and even though it is tiny, it burns the eyes. Turning the brightness all the way up with Desktop Lighter is like looking at the sun! Can't even look at it!

I tried loading the ATI Radeon HD 4850 (matches my adapter model number) but no ATI control center can be found anywhere (and I looked everywhere!).

Someone needs to come up with a brightness control that works for Win on Bootcamp. This is painful!

iSight does work as a detector in another 3rd party program I tried (VistaShades), but it was totally unsatisfactory and I still couldn't get the brightness down on the backlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.