Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Hi - I'm writing this to you while traveling 75 Mph on the Masschusetts Turnpike. I'm am doing this through my phone (Ericsson T39, through IrDA) and at an amazing 9.6 Kb/s! However, I have GPRS which is used directly through the phone, I cannot get it to work with my Mac (Tibook 500 Mhz, X.1.5) I even purchased Macintosh Mobile High Speed (Too much for too little!) Anyhow, if someone could possibly give me step-by-step instructions on how to use GPRS through my Mac, I would be delighted. Or if you have a referral to a page, that too would be helpful. I use Voicestream USA for my service, and I believe the GPRS is provided by T-Mobile. Thanks!

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
...or you could just get a bluetooth phone and a bluetooth adapter for your tibook...just a thought...:cool:

[edit: nevermind, I just looked at the specs for your phone(that's a pretty cool phone!) and it already has bluetooth in it:eek:. You should have told us...Anyway, I would say that you still should get a bluetooth adapter for your tibook...If anything it's easier than irda]

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Oh yeah?

I'd probably think this was impressive if I had not been able to do this and more way back in 1997 using my ricochet modem and my Apple Newton.

The golden days of tech...

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
9.6kbps? jesus... thats faster than anything i ever downloaded on my 56k modem
You're thinking 9.6KB/sec...Capital B means bytes, small b means bits. And bits are smaller than bytes, therefore you can download more bits per second...

Also I think that 9.6Kb/sec is the speed limit for IrDA...Can anyone confirm this? A bluetooth connection(between your phone and tibook) would be faster...(1Mb/sec, over 10 times the speed of IrDA, but remember, your phone's connection speed is alot slower than that...)

icetraxxg5

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2002
Commerce Township
And bits are larger than bytes

What are you one? bytes are LARGER then bits... so he must be getting 9.6 Kilobits per second which is 1.2 KiloBYTES per second.

The maximum speed for 56k is 56Kilobits which is 7 kilobytes per second.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Oops!:eek: I had it right the first time! I edited it to make it say the opposite...sorry about that!:eek:

[edit: I fixed it:rolleyes:]

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
::cough:: That was my vain attempt to attempt to get this thread back on topic. Does anyone know how I can use GPRS on my TiBook? :confused:

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by shadowfax0
::cough:: That was my vain attempt to attempt to get this thread back on topic. Does anyone know how I can use GPRS on my TiBook? :confused:
Just get Bluetooth to connect your phone to your tibook and to get the internet access from the phone!:rolleyes:

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
No, it isn't :rolleyes: quite that easy, that's so I can get 9 k/sec, I can get the equivelant of a 56k modem through my phone using GPRS, I am paying to service, so I want to be able to use it. Basic internet, yes, that's as easy as what you said, that's how I wrote my first message. But I want 56k, and I do not know how to use it with the Powerbook, so again I ask, does anyone know how to do this (again, websites, anything)? (This means you, macrumors people in Europe!)

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Ok, I have put my foot in my mouth. MacMaster, I am sorry for squaking at you like that! I was looking at some of Jaguar's additional features, and there it is! "Bluetooth GPRS Support"! Sorry for being too presumptuous! On the other hand I am thrilled because now I can get to the internet *anywhere*, well, ALMOST anywhere :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The facts:
56k = 56Kbps = 56 kilobits per second. That is about equal to 8KBps = 8 kiloBYTES per second.

Bigger B = more data per constant (8, 56, 1.5, etc.)

I've put up with a lot with 28.8K, what I am using now; I can just imagine the wait with 9.6Kbps.

As for this GPRS thing, I wouldn't have any idea where to start. But I think some phones have 28.8K support.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Actually, macosxhints.com has a thing on getting onto GPRS, but the guy usd his Nokia. Although bluetooth might make this easier, so Im waiting for the bluetooth adapter to arrive in the mail. I hope Jaguar makes this all alot smoother, which I think it will :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by King Cobra
I've put up with a lot with 28.8K, what I am using now; I can just imagine the wait with 9.6Kbps.

I used a 2.4 (2400 baud) modem for my first year on the internet... talk about hell, that's it right here. :rolleyes:

I gotta ask you, KC, why are you using a 28.8? You could at least double your speed with a 56K.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Don't anger the Cobra my friend! Look carefully...he's in Maine right now! :D I hope that saved you some typing KC... :p

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Relax, shadowfax. My agressive posts are dying down on the forum.

Hemingray, when I set my modem to V.90 (56K full) I can't connect (traffic overload?). So I have to set my modem to V.34 to connect w/o problems. However, I lose half the power of 56K.

sandercox

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
NL
I don't know exactly how you're connecting right now but I assume you dial a phone number of your ISP to connect to the internet. If so, than you need to dial a special number which your phone translates into connecting to the GPRS profiles you defined in your phone.
This number is for the first profile of your phone probably: *99***1# if you need more information please do a query on google regarding GPRS and "*99#" (quoted) you'll get lots of results regarding this subject (not Apple specific though). If you can read german you might also follow this link: http://www.snailshell.de/internetmobil/mosx.html its about configuring your Apple for GPRS modems.

Good luck!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by King Cobra
Relax, shadowfax. My agressive posts are dying down on the forum.

Hemingray, when I set my modem to V.90 (56K full) I can't connect (traffic overload?). So I have to set my modem to V.34 to connect w/o problems. However, I lose half the power of 56K.

Oh, okay... yeah, I thought it might have something to do with that. I knew you wouldn't KNOWINGLY force yourself to use a 28.8. Just curious. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.