Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tepinvic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Hi guys I recently got a used MBA and everything is great, although i am still adjusting to the 80gb hdd. So my question is how do you guys handle the storage of your itunes libraries.

My options right now seem to be:

Keeping the entire library on my server and using a script that allows me to download music on my MBA but have it moved to the server then deleted off the MBA.

or

Keeping all my music on the MBA and accepting a low amount of free space.

I'd like to know if you guys have any innovative solutions to this problem or just how you handle it in general.

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Separate itunes onto a harddrive

As a DJ, I have over 20,000 songs and music videos that I use on itunes. I keep all the files including the itunes folder on a Seagate 1TB hard drive (usb powered).

By having the itunes library file on the hard drive (and having the itunes preference set to find the "Library" file on my external) itunes won't create a new library or put any media in the Macbook air's Music folder. This way there is no confusion should you open itunes but forgot to connect the hard drive.

I found that having any music split between laptop and external get's very messy and having everything on my laptop won't fit. So, I recommend keep it separate and have a second external as a backup (should you one day drop one or lose it).

tepinvic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
Hmm, I can see how that would work but for me personally i find myself sitting on the couch or bed and it would be kind of inconvenient to have to have my harddrive plugged in to listen to music. If I had 20,000 songs i might look at it differently though :p

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
I think there are only two answers. Use an external or put a bigger HD in : )

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
As a DJ, I have over 20,000 songs and music videos that I use on itunes. I keep all the files including the itunes folder on a Seagate 1TB hard drive (usb powered).

By having the itunes library file on the hard drive (and having the itunes preference set to find the "Library" file on my external) itunes won't create a new library or put any media in the Macbook air's Music folder. This way there is no confusion should you open itunes but forgot to connect the hard drive.

I found that having any music split between laptop and external get's very messy and having everything on my laptop won't fit. So, I recommend keep it separate and have a second external as a backup (should you one day drop one or lose it).
I agree. I do exactly the same thing. I use a 640Gb Toshiba USB powered portable drive for my movie and music libraries. I back it up by connecting it to my Time Capsule from time to time. When the 640Gb gets close to full, I'll simply buy a 1Tb drive of the same sort.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Hi guys I recently got a used MBA and everything is great, although i am still adjusting to the 80gb hdd. So my question is how do you guys handle the storage of your itunes libraries.

For me it's simple - I don't keep any music on my Air's 128GB SSD drive. For listening on the go - I keep all my music on my Android phone (32GB MicroSD card I just bought comes very handy!).

For when I am at home - I can stream music from my server to my MBA via iTunes remote library streaming. And I also have AirTunes speakers throughout my house.

seb-opp

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
London/Norwich
Hmm, I can see how that would work but for me personally i find myself sitting on the couch or bed and it would be kind of inconvenient to have to have my harddrive plugged in to listen to music. If I had 20,000 songs i might look at it differently though :p

I assume when you're doing this you're using headphones?

Do you have an iPod? that would solve the issue, as you can listen through that when not at a desk, then store your music on an external drive. Although you'd need a USB hub and a powered external drive to get the songs from the external to the iPod!

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
For me it's simple - I don't keep any music on my Air's 128GB SSD drive. For listening on the go - I keep all my music on my Android phone (32GB MicroSD card I just bought comes very handy!).

For when I am at home - I can stream music from my server to my MBA via iTunes remote library streaming. And I also have AirTunes speakers throughout my house.

How do you stream from your Server? could you give me any advice as to streaming music from my Time Capsule to my MBA via iTunes? thanks, skate71290

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
if ur not a audiophile, you should really convert ur songs to AAC through itunes it self, i have my songs at 64 kbs aac, it has saved over 4 gigs and i seriuosly cant hear ANY difference in sound, and i do listen close i have a pair of igrado so i do care about how my music sounds.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
if ur not a audiophile, you should really convert ur songs to AAC through itunes it self, i have my songs at 64 kbs aac, it has saved over 4 gigs and i seriuosly cant hear ANY difference in sound, and i do listen close i have a pair of igrado so i do care about how my music sounds.

64k & hears no difference. No offence, but that hurts me.. some pity left here.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS

to the OP, please do not follow this advice, or follow this advice but keep your source files
seeing this hurts, I have mine from 192kbps+ and currently in the progress to migrating over to m4a

seriously, 64kbps aac?:rolleyes:

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
ok well 64 kbs aac is a huge extreme i admit, but i have all my music (3,000) songs on my imac, at original format never converted them, but on my macbook air i have the converted songs. So what im saying is that if u have an external hard drive or another computer you could keep the songs on that hard drive or computer, and u could move converted songs to your mba, either 128 kbs, 96 kbs or what ever you choose. you will have the original files and you will be able to save space on your macbook air. i just think that wireless storage should be the very last option.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
You could use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device to host your iTunes library, which would then stream your music to the MacBook Air.

A good tutorial: theappleblog.com

Not really knowledgable when it comes to Networks and what-not, but as you can see in my Signature i am getting a 2TB Time Capsule (Dual Band). Are Time Capsules NAS devices?

jk1002

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
I had my Itunes library on a NAS, a high performance one.

I had G standard Wifi, so that wasn't the fastest but it made Itunes really sluggish, even when playing local files.

In the end I moved everything back to the local drive and am using a different solution for movies, which made my Library so large.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
I use an ubuntu server with linux md raid 5 4x1.5TB and netatalk for AFP shares. The network is all wireless N and gigabit. You simply aren't going to get a large enough laptop drive to hold all your stuff so you pretty much have to go network storage of some type. External hdd is an option but a pretty clumsy one.

64k AAC are you kidding my thats stingy as hell my as well convert them to mono to. I keep all my music in ALAC today with the price of storage so cheap my as well keep exact copies.

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008

I had a 38 GB iTunes library last week. At the end of the week I converted anything with a higher that 96 kbps bitrate to 80 kbps AAC High effiency. I now have an 18 GB library and do not notice any difference in quality.

I have a backup of my library in case I notice a quality drop in some songs. I was skeptical of the low bitrate, but it really is impressive.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009

Not trying to be audio-elitist in my tone (I'm really not), but in all seriousness, you can't hear the differene in 64kbps and 128/192/256/320? Really?

I can hear a massive, massive difference between 128 and 320.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Not trying to be audio-elitist in my tone (I'm really not), but in all seriousness, you can't hear the differene in 64kbps and 128/192/256/320? Really?

I can hear a massive, massive difference between 128 and 320.
It depends on what you have recorded and the equipment you are using to play it back. If you are ripping movies with DD 5.1 soundtracks and copying them to iTunes for playback in a home theater that has a first class audio system, then a lot of compression may cause a noticeable degradation in the sound. But if you are copying popular music CDs to iTunes for playback on an iPhone, iPod, or iPad, then, it seems to me, uncompressed audio is an unnecessary waste of storage capacity. In any event, if you have much recorded music stored, even in compressed form, you are going to need supplemental external storage to take the strain of of the MBA's small hard drive.

MacRuler

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
all i was suggesting is what jahala is doing, give it a try and if you dont like it then go buy a nas and have a slow sluggish itunes.. . ...:cool:

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
External or Server or Compression

So I think the choices are clear.

You can go with an external hard drive.

You can go with a Server and stream your music (if you have another computer).

You can go with a higher compression too (if you don't notice the difference) but if you do collect a lot, chances are that this still won't be a solution as the Air's current internal hard drives aren't great for bulk... not if you add movies and tv shows to the mix.

I think we've covered all the possible choices to help you. Anyone have a fourth suggestion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.