PDA

View Full Version : People keep poking my screen

Pages : [1] 2

Doctor Q
Nov 18, 2004, 03:28 PM
Why do people treat monitors like touchscreens? When they see a pretty picture or interesting text on my Mac, they often touch it (or try to) while talking about it. I used to put up with it, and clean my CRT screen now and then. Now that I have LCD screens, I'm more worried about it.

Is the surface in real danger when they jab their pointy fingers at it? Will fingers, especially fingernails, damage the screen?

I've been asking coworkers and friends not to touch my displays at work and at home, but I'd like to know just how much of an issue I should make of this.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 18, 2004, 03:32 PM
Go to their office, eating crunchy cheese doodles and start pointing on their screens....shouldn't take long for them to get the picture :D

zelmo
Nov 18, 2004, 03:37 PM
My wife constantly touches my PB screen and, while it doesn't appear to be any worse off as a result, those temporary "newton rings" created by the pressure of a finger make me cringe. It would be nice to know if there is any lasting or cumulative damage to be had from this contact, if only so that I could use it as an excuse to upgrade to a PB G5 if they ever release one.

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2004, 03:40 PM
Go to their office, eating crunchy cheese doodles and start pointing on their screens....shouldn't take long for them to get the picture :DThat orange cheese-like powder gets everywhere...

edesignuk
Nov 18, 2004, 03:41 PM
You need something the equivalent of a "swear box", but this will be a "you touched my screen you bastard, now gimme some money" box :D

$1 a time ;)

By the time all these people have worn a hole in your screen you should have made enough to buy a new one :cool:

Now that's a plan :p

Blue Velvet
Nov 18, 2004, 03:42 PM
Well, at least they're not licking it...

Didn't Steve Jobs claim Aqua was 'lickable'?
Mind you, if it was covered in cheese-powder...

Mr. Anderson
Nov 18, 2004, 03:45 PM
That orange cheese-like powder gets everywhere...

just one of many reasons not to eat them....

or you could just make a working model of a guillotine mounted on top and when anyone asks you, you tell them that it is automatically activated when it senses a finger touching the screen.....

D

emw
Nov 18, 2004, 03:49 PM
Go to their office, eating crunchy cheese doodles and start pointing on their screens....shouldn't take long for them to get the picture :D

Your signature is quite appropriate for this thread.

In my experience, it is almost impossible to prevent people from touching your screen. Think about it - it's human nature to rely upon tactile response, even though it may be meaningless. People (including me) touch my screen, printed photos, printed documents, etc. Even though touching provides no additional valuable feedback in these situations, we do it anyway.

efoto
Nov 18, 2004, 04:12 PM
I cringe everytime I even see a hand heading towards any of my screens. I have a 20.1" lcd at home and a 23" at work, and some random crts that I rarely give thought to anymore :P, and everytime I am working in Photoshop or basically anything (even Word!!) people always feel the need to touch for some reason.

I was editting some family things at home last night and my mother came in to see the progress. She starts reaching for the screen to say "oh I like this one" and I grabbed her hand mid-air, "mom, I'm not going to kill you, this time (under my breathe) but it really annoys me when people, including you mother dearest, touch my screen. a simple verbal description of the location of your point on the screen would be more than adequate for me to find what you are referring to. Take into account that I will always know what is on my screen much better and more accurately than you will. I do not require your finger for visual assitance." This usually results in her asking why I am so pissy and confrontational...getting all emotional...yadda yadda girl stuff.

So back to topic...I have never read of ill-affects from anyone touching the screen other than temporarily stuck pixels, which resulted in me now having a bald spot @ age 20 :mad:. Unless they poke through or something, I don't see a problem other than surface oils that can alter your color view, but you should clean your screen sometimes anyway.
Sorry for the long post...I am at work late tonight and needed a break and felt a little chatty.

Doctor Q
Nov 18, 2004, 04:32 PM
or you could just make a working model of a guillotine mounted on top and when anyone asks you, you tell them that it is automatically activated when it senses a finger touching the screen.....Well, I do the verbal equivalent now, snapping at them "DON'T TOUCH THE SCREEEN!" to make them jump back and promise never to do it again.

My question is whether I'm being needlessly paranoid about these digital vandals (it's just a matter of having my personal space, and that of my Mac, invaded) or whether I have just cause to worry about hardware damage.

(BTW, I own a bumper sticker that says "Help! The paranoids are after me!" and, as we all know, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!)

jsw
Nov 18, 2004, 04:38 PM
Personally, I think it's inconsiderate. Like touching someone's glasses. I can't stand a smeared monitor and don't see why people touch one. I think most adults are capable of the fine muscle control required to point at but not touch the screen. I touch my screens only to clean them, and I've somehow managed to avoid other contact for decades now without difficulty.

Maybe it's a glasses-wearer thing. I wear glasses. I hate it when they're dirty. Same with my screen. On the other hand, I am in no way even vaguely close to being a neat person. I just want a clean screen, that's all.

If only it was possible to zap intruders with an electric charge when they touched it....

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2004, 04:39 PM
(BTW, I own a bumper sticker that says "Help! The paranoids are after me!" and, as we all know, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!)If you leave the paranoids alone, they may leave you alone...

And stop selling the ray gun that can read their thoughts, and start selling tinfoil hats -- the profit margin is much higher on those anyway, if you remember to upsell them the custom fitting service.

Doctor Q
Nov 18, 2004, 04:57 PM
...and start selling tinfoil hats...We may not be safe, but at least MacRumors member Counterfit is (link (http://homepage.mac.com/counterfit/PhotoAlbum9.html)).

jsw
Nov 18, 2004, 05:03 PM
We may not be safe, but at least MacRumors member Counterfit is (link (http://homepage.mac.com/counterfit/PhotoAlbum9.html)). Unbelievable - he left the base of the skull exposed! Surely he must know that the aliens use the reptilian brain stem to gain access to the entire brain. Poor Counterfit. He's lost now; surely they've gotten to him.

BTW, the Reynold's non-stick foil seems to do a better job of keeping your brain safe. It costs a bit more, but it's worth it. FYI, the non-stick side faces out.

rueyeet
Nov 18, 2004, 05:11 PM
Feh. that's a mere skullcap, not 360-degree protection. :)

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone who's ever had to clean fingerprints off their computer screen would touch one. I never do; I just sort of hover my finger a little bit over whatever I'm pointing to, which is good enough.

Short of timely verbal discouragement, I don't know what you can do about it. I'm sure it wouldn't be dangerous if there weren't too much actual pressure applied. Probably a well-timed "careful! it's an LCD, y'know" just when the ring around their finger becomes visible might be sufficient over time to install in them a vague fear that they'll somehow damage an LCD if they touch it too hard.

mactastic
Nov 18, 2004, 05:11 PM
Oh man, try working in a CAD enviroment. Even I can't avoid touching the screen now and then to point to one particular line.

You should see the monitors at my old college's CAD lab. They're like an inch thick with finger grease.

efoto
Nov 18, 2004, 06:58 PM
You should see the monitors at my old college's CAD lab. They're like an inch thick with finger grease.

I can attest to this. Working with ProE all the time, everyone and their friends want to touch. The worst is marketing people though (sorry to those to whom this may apply) because they are not familiar with the CAD program, they feel the need to touch the buttons on the toolbars like they will actually do something :p. They make pretty things that sell, I give them that but the ones at my place of work could use a little help.

angelneo
Nov 18, 2004, 07:54 PM
My colleagues know how anal I am over my LCD screen and if they really need to point then they would use a non-writing end of a pen to point (no jabbing included). and (in case you think I am), I am not some freak nut who squats in a corner of my office and start talking to myself

WinterMute
Nov 19, 2004, 04:56 AM
I find that intercepting the pointing finger as it approaches the screen and bending it sharply backwards till it's firmly embedded in the offenders eye socket works wonders.

You only need to do it once or twice, word soon gets around.

NO-ONE touches my PowerBook without my expressed permission. In writing. Signed in blood.

You stand more chance of surviving touching my wife. :D ;)

AppleMatt
Nov 19, 2004, 06:05 AM
You'd have to give it a significant poke to physically damage the layers, the fluid in them does "buffer" the pokes it seems. I've never damaged an LCD with years of ripping laptops apart, dropping screwdrivers onto them etc. Although I can't find the link I have read that when they're off they are a lot less susceptible to damage than when they're on.

As for the coating...that's different. They have an anti-glare coat on them. The reason you're not supposed to use alcohol cleaners is because alcohol can dry out the plastic and make it crack, so I presume the various oils, salts and daily grime on the fingertip won't do it wonders.

NO-ONE touches my PowerBook without my expressed permission. In writing. Signed in blood.

Ditto. And when they use it they sure as hell better not move it (or worse, slide it, ripping all the feet off)

AppleMatt

bbarnhart
Nov 19, 2004, 06:09 AM
Some people are just clueless. A particular coworker of mine is a big screen toucher. When he gets that finger going I yell "The monitor is for looking at. It's not for touching!"

kettle
Nov 19, 2004, 06:11 AM
Keep a rolling pin handy. It usually takes the one, but anything up to eight demonstrations of bone shattering force may be needed before the pokie either learns or runs out of pointable fingers. Thumb prints have not really been a problem.

kettle
Nov 19, 2004, 06:17 AM
You stand more chance of surviving touching my wife. :D ;)

Probably a good time to differentiate between "touching the Mrs" and "Poking the Mrs"

WinterMute
Nov 19, 2004, 06:32 AM
Probably a good time to differentiate between "touching the Mrs" and "Poking the Mrs"

Damn right, although it's still a fine line when it comes to the PowerBook :eek:

Palad1
Nov 19, 2004, 06:58 AM
I cringe everytime I even see a hand heading towards any of my screens.
(snip...)
This usually results in her asking why I am so pissy and confrontational...getting all emotional...yadda yadda girl stuff.

My girlfriend does that too, but instead of getting emotional, she toys with my ultimate Fear Of The Polished Fingernail Impact On My Powerbook :eek: and points another finger at the screen, slowy moving it back and forth, still aiming for the screen, while making scary noises... :mad:

And of course I can't even begin to pretend this does not make me even more anal about her not touching my screen...

I mean, have you seen these things human females have at the end of their fingers? It's thin, it's hard, it's sharp, it's covered with vynnilic paint and solvent residues... :eek:

I don't want those tools of mayhem anywhere near my beloved powerbook's screen!!! Pleeeaaasee!!! :eek:

Hoef
Nov 19, 2004, 07:03 AM
Arghh I hate it too .... When people reach out their hand to you screen, sneeze on them :D Still have to clean the screen afterwards though

SilentPanda
Nov 19, 2004, 07:19 AM
Just poke them in the eye.

mfacey
Nov 19, 2004, 07:34 AM
I agree I hate it when people touch my screen. But what ranks equally high in my computer irritations list is people using my stuff with grubby fingers.
I can't stand it when people who have just eaten a hand-full of potato chips and then brush their hands on their jeans and happily start using my keyboard and touchpad. I can't stand a sticky/greasy computer! What is wrong with these people?! Isn't this obvious.

This has been something that has bothered me since I was like 7 when I got my new Super Nintendo. NO PLAYING UNTIL YOUR HANDS ARE WASHED! This lasted through my N64 and now has moved on to my Powerbook. :D

Chappers
Nov 19, 2004, 08:05 AM
Just kill the buggers that do it - they never do it again.

Sharewaredemon
Nov 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
Just kill the buggers that do it - they never do it again.

Killing them is not satisfying enough, I think they should be petrified.

I honestly cring every time someone points to something on my screan, of course, I have an eMac, but still, it bothers me, but, I just suck it down, and clean it every week or so.

748s
Nov 19, 2004, 08:53 AM
nothing worked for me, until..........i had to keep a bit of curtain rod on the desk. soon as the finger went up it got whacked. the behaviour was modified.

Palad1
Nov 19, 2004, 08:56 AM
I honestly cring every time someone points to something on my screan,

What kind of device is a screan? A screen that starts screaming when someone touches it?

Always wanted one of those!!!

wordmunger
Nov 19, 2004, 09:06 AM
Given that all the CAD people (whose screens seem to be touched the most) aren't reporting any damage, I suspect touching isn't going to hurt your screen. I think you're going to have to just chalk this one off to human nature and keep a supply of screen wipes handy.

neut
Nov 19, 2004, 09:18 AM
yeah, last night this dude was totally touching my screen right in front of me... i almost bit his arm off but his blood content might be a little shady.

i think people don't realize that there exists a relationship between the Mac and it's user(s). most people wouldn't touch something else of yours without asking would they?

just look at them with that, 'i'd totally kill you right now if i didn't know you, but since i do i'll give you one more chance and you better not ****ing touch it again... thank-you. :)" look. and in all seriousness say, "... please don't touch my ****ing screen." (****ing is optional)

peace.

wPod
Nov 19, 2004, 09:38 AM
no, its not good for the screen!!!! eventually they could cause dead pixles or distorted colors. and if they press hard enough they could even crack the screen. so, to prevent anyone from touching yoru screen this is what you should do.

go to a cheap electronics store and buy the largest bottle of liquid screen cleaner you can. hide it under your desk. and the next time someone touches your screen, imidiatly pull out the bottle and hose down the screen and wipe it off with a handfull of papertowels. (black and white newspaper is actually very good at giving glass a streak free shine. . . learned that from car shows to keep car windows extra clean) pretty soon everyone will know not to touch your screen and will stay a few extra feet away from your screen (though they might stand a few extra feet away from you as well). . . . for added fun effect mutter something about germs or finger prints as you obsesivly wash the screen!!!

Raid
Nov 19, 2004, 10:02 AM
Go old school on them; Hire a retired nun from a near by catholic school to stand by your screen. Give her a yard stick and tell her that anyone even coming close to touching the screen gets whacked. :D

BTW can they even call that orange powder on cheeze doodles "cheeze"? :(

neut
Nov 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
no, its not good for the screen!!!! <snip> go to a cheap electronics store and buy the largest bottle of liquid screen cleaner you can. hide it under your desk. and the next time someone touches your screen, imidiatly pull out the bottle and hose down the screen and wipe it off with a handfull of papertowels. (black and white newspaper is actually very good at giving glass a streak free shine. . . learned that from car shows to keep car windows extra clean)

:eek:

ever notice all those little scratches on car windows? that's caused from the textured paper you are using to wipe them off with. you DO NOT want those scratches all over your monitor. over time it will look dull and foggy and you maight start getting white spots from buffing a spot too much. clean with Klear Screen and a really soft rag (like an eye glass cloth) in the morning (while the screen is still cold), it will be nice and shiny... ready for smudgey hands to be put all over it ( :mad: )

peace.

gekko513
Nov 19, 2004, 11:11 AM
I don't know if it has changed, but when I was in college we got a brand new computer lab with LCD screens. It didn't go many weeks before screens started to break and signs were put up warning people not to touch them.

I just tried to touch my last generation Apple 23" LCD and it has a harder surface, but I still don't think it's safe to keep poking it.

Doctor Q
Nov 19, 2004, 12:30 PM
There have been plenty of suggestions on getting revenge on people who touch the screen, or teaching them a lesson they won't soon forget.

But what we need are ways to keep them from touching it in the first place. Extreme vigilance ("Freeze, mister!") and highly tuned motor skills (near-poke...whap!) are the best methods I've found.

Maybe I should add a little sign:

http://www.screensaverjapan.com/graphic/touch/touch.jpg

Maybe I should tape a picture to the frame showing what horrible thing happened to the last screen-poker, like a Mac-poking version of this:

http://www.freewebs.com/theunleaded/revenge.jpg

Or maybe there should be a finger/screen/redcircle/slash international symbol sticker prominently visible.

DanTekGeek
Nov 19, 2004, 12:34 PM
slap them. you can do this in a way that makes it seem like you are playing around, but they will get the message. everytime you see one of them reaching for the screen, or actually touching the screen, slap their hand down. not hard, but enough that they notice. then, say something like "NO TOUCHIE!", or something else with that message that goes alone with the playing around idea. or, if it gets really bad, just start slapping them.

efoto
Nov 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
I would hope that it is alright (not recommended) to touch a screen softly, the manufacters must take this into account knowing its destined to happen. What scares me is not the ever so soft caress but the push that causes colored rings around the finger tip.

I wish I could store something in a hollow tooth, tear into their arm, and then say "welcome to the world of ****(fill with horrible disease). I have choosen to give this gift to you for your superior incompetence and I feel you should never reproduce, therefore I have done my part to kill you off."

Maybe a bit less harsh, but I like this, it has bite :D
oh man....sooooo funny, can't stop laughing its just that good :P

wPod
Nov 21, 2004, 08:56 PM
:eek:

ever notice all those little scratches on car windows? that's caused from the textured paper you are using to wipe them off with. you DO NOT want those scratches all over your monitor. over time it will look dull and foggy and you maight start getting white spots from buffing a spot too much. clean with Klear Screen and a really soft rag (like an eye glass cloth) in the morning (while the screen is still cold), it will be nice and shiny... ready for smudgey hands to be put all over it ( :mad: )

peace.

thats odd. . . i cleaned my monitor (21" flat screen CRT) for more than a year like that when i was working at an engineering company. i got the idea from a guy who cleaned his monitor somtimes multiple times a day from it. he said he learned it from car shows. (and a couple other guys agreed) but we always used newspaper. . . maybe thats 'softer' than other papers. i dont know, but i never saw any scratches. (and this other guy would have flipped if he saw a scratch!)

Apple Hobo
Nov 21, 2004, 09:40 PM
I hate fingerprints on any monitor. I mean I really hate fingerprints on screens. A single piece of dust or a single follicle of hair on my screen will drive me nuts until I wipe it off. This is no joke. I constantly wipe my CRT with screen cleaner. Yeah, I'm weird!

Poeben
Nov 21, 2004, 10:36 PM
Just set up Exposé to show the desktop when the mouse is in a specific corner. When you see the finger approaching, a flick of the mouse should either confuse them greatly, or at least remove the object of their desire.

:p

neut
Nov 21, 2004, 10:42 PM
thats odd. . . i cleaned my monitor (21" flat screen CRT) for more than a year like that when i was working at an engineering company. i got the idea from a guy who cleaned his monitor somtimes multiple times a day from it. he said he learned it from car shows. (and a couple other guys agreed) but we always used newspaper. . . maybe thats 'softer' than other papers. i dont know, but i never saw any scratches. (and this other guy would have flipped if he saw a scratch!)

interesting. i guess it would only cause dulling on plastic (if i did) and im surprised to hear it didn't leave light scratches all over. i guess if you willing to try it... sounds like it worked for you.

i try to keep monitors dust free. it seems to reduce smudging.

peace.

jared_kipe
Nov 21, 2004, 10:55 PM
Oh god my mom used to do that to my powerbook screen. With her long nails, she could really make me mad.

lisius_kent
Nov 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
Im applecare certifed, and they only state again and again and again DONT TOUCH A LCD screen. It contributes too dead/stuck pixels.

Jaz
Nov 21, 2004, 11:17 PM
or you could just make a working model of a guillotine mounted on top and when anyone asks you, you tell them that it is automatically activated when it senses a finger touching the screen.....

Oh yes please, that would be perfect.

OT but I had a colleague that once made a functioning desktop trebuchet out of ice-cream sticks :)

Got the design off the web, used AA batteries for counter-weight and a mouse ball as projectile ... worked pretty good. It was triggered by the kind of behaviour described in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98330)

IDANNY
Nov 21, 2004, 11:42 PM
This might be a bit much but I hate when anyone uses my computers. :mad: :mad:

Counterfit
Nov 22, 2004, 02:21 AM
Unbelievable - he left the base of the skull exposed! Surely he must know that the aliens use the reptilian brain stem to gain access to the entire brain. Poor Counterfit. He's lost now; surely they've gotten to him. I'm fine, their satellites only have a very narrow angle to beam with, so they could never get to my brain stem unless I was lying down.

What's that Lord Varmint? Yes, I'll be there right away. :D

Diatribe
Nov 22, 2004, 03:27 AM
This might be a bit much but I hate when anyone uses my computers. :mad: :mad:

Depends on the person but I don't like it that much either. :D

Nermal
Nov 22, 2004, 03:27 AM
Four years ago, when I'd just finished high school, my parents and I went to look at a university. While in the library, we found that the librarians had LCDs. Dad was impressed and mentioned this to the librarian. She replied, saying that they're great. We also noticed a plastic pane which covered the front of the screen. Dad inquired about it, and the librarian said that it's because otherwise you get little coloured rings... like this: *PUSH* *PUSH* :eek:

The student computer lab only had CRTs though :( (hooked up to G4 towers if you must know, running OS 8.6)

efoto
Nov 22, 2004, 08:58 AM
So what are we to conclude about librarians?

It does seem that touching a screen, either crt or lcd, is rarely a good thing, however it probably is not the worst way to treat said device. I am sure other things can be quite detrimental to the life of the monitor as well.

Does anyone at your various workplaces stack tons of things atop their monitors? There is a woman here at work who puts teddy bears atop her CAD crt, funny looking, but "personalized" I guess.

Mord
Nov 22, 2004, 05:33 PM
engrave "don't touch my ********* screen you moron" onto all your lcds.

works a charm

efoto
Nov 23, 2004, 04:40 PM
The best advice posted so far is to act like a complete obsessive-compulsive case. The only way people will ever stop touching screens is once they realize that you utterly hate it and physically and mentally cannot stand it. Of course you will always have your outlier jackhole who proceeds to do it just to get you frazzled, but in most cases when someone sees that you genuinely hate it and cannot stand it to be the least bit smudged they usually stop.

Of course "please" never hurt anyone either, and it usually has a much more welcome reception over the other obsenities muttered here and there ;)

emw
Nov 23, 2004, 05:04 PM
I had a vendor in this afternoon who kept pointing at my LCD screen with his ball point pen. I was about 2 seconds away from shoving it into his brain when he finally put it away.

Fingers are one thing. Pens and other sharp objects... [shudder].

Doctor Q
Nov 23, 2004, 05:38 PM
Somebody at work who came to ask me a question yesterday jabbed at my screen. I took your collective advice. Funeral services will be held at Forest LOLwn Memorial Park Friday at noon.

MentalFabric
Nov 23, 2004, 07:15 PM
You guys have it easy - my best friend always spontaniously reaches across my desk and uses my computer, changes my music, drags the iTunes window to the bottom right corner of the 23" monitor so you can't find it, goes to Safari and closes a window full of Tabs ("What are Tabs?") in order to make a new one and proceeds to type "www.google.com"...

If I complain he thinks i'm being bitchy. I think I'm gonna set the screen saver to go off after 1min and require a password :mad:

edit: oh yeah, and he uses a mac, he's just not designed for using computers :-P

KSource
Nov 23, 2004, 08:00 PM
Ironic, the day I read this post my friend did it to my screen. Not only did he post but he kept it on my screen for a few seconds like he was waiting for me to confirm I see the damn thing. He could have spent less energy saying what he was pointing at than the action to show it to me. BTW it wasn't a mere touch and hold it was a touch and push slightly a few times....just like someone said before...this isn't touch screen, it isnt going to enlarge by you pushing the damn thing. :mad:

I felt like stabbing his eye, but I was in his house and I needed the ride back.

Why the hell do people not understand that you don't need to make farking contact with the screen to point it out. Next time a female does it and she at some point has a speck on her shirt in the breast area I will be sure to stab at it. If a dude does it, and the dude at one point has an open fly, I will make sure to stab at that area too till they get the damn point.

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2004, 08:03 PM
Ironic, the day I read this post my friend did it to my screen. Not only did he post but he kept it on my screen for a few seconds like he was waiting for me to confirm I see the damn thing. He could have spent less energy saying what he was pointing at than the action to show it to me.

I felt like stabbing his eye, but I was in his house and I needed the ride back.

Why the hell do people not understand that you don't need to make farking contact with the screen to point it out. Next time a female does it and she at some point has a speck on her shirt in the breast area I will be sure to stab at it. If a dude does it, and the dude at one point has an open fly, I will make sure to stab at that area too till they get the damn point.Watch out with that one, some people may think your trying to take it out.

efoto
Nov 23, 2004, 10:29 PM
Watch out with that one, some people may think your trying to take it out.

Oh man, watch out for that. Perhaps on the female you should poke gently, apply accurate and even pressure for as long as it seems that they contacted your screen. On the male however, a quick jab-type action (preferably with foot or fist instead of finger) might get your point across more effectively.

I personally would not make any pointing or pressure gestures at another man's crotch. That gives me a great idea! Use this situation as an example...ask them if they would touch your fly if it was down, and hopefully they say they would use a verbal gesture to let you know. If that is the case, wonderful, make sure they adopt the same doctrine for screen-related issues/gestures ;)

Awesome...if only all of life were this easy.

neut
Nov 23, 2004, 10:41 PM
I took your collective advice. Funeral services will be held at Forest LOLwn Memorial Park Friday at noon.

excellent... soon they will listen to us. soon they will see the err of their ways.

my best friend always spontaniously <snip>reaches across my desk and uses my computer, changes my music, drags the iTunes window to the bottom right corner of the 23" monitor so you can't find it, goes to Safari and closes a window full of Tabs ("What are Tabs?") in order to make a new one and proceeds to type "www.google.com"...

If I complain he thinks i'm being bitchy. I think I'm gonna set the screen saver to go off after 1min and require a password

edit: oh yeah, and he uses a mac, he's just not designed for using computers :-P

i know a ton of people like this. it's what separates the geeks from the posers.

peace.

superninjagoat
Nov 23, 2004, 10:42 PM
I hate it when I'm working on something and a reporter comes in and proceeds to touch my screen to show me what he would like done with a graphic.

A photographer I once worked with finally lost it with a reporter who was especially touchy-feely with his monitor. He told her that if she touched his screen again, he'd bit her. Within a minute, she touched it again. He grabbed her hand, bit her hard enough that she squeaked and screamed at her.

She was cured.

earthtoandy
Nov 23, 2004, 10:58 PM
at my job we use touch screens... somehow my brain has been trained. Whenever i am on a laptop (i dont know why my brain thinks this is touch screen time) i always reach for the screen. I have worked hard on intercepting my own commands and stopping myself! ha That finger grease is definitely not good for it. The oils in human skin is bad for all sorts of things, things you wouldnt think of. For example people think that taking their shoes off will save their carpet buit walking barefoot has the potential to be worse because the oils in your skin will break down the carpet fibers. The more you know! So is it the worst thing? no i doubt that... but its not optimal.

MarkFink67
Nov 24, 2004, 12:05 AM
Oi, Now listen up all you doubters. One of my clients gave my screen a nice finger jab when selecting a photo. 'That one!" she said... ponk!!!. I was left forever with her finger mark halo'ed in center of my screen. LCD screens do mark, so always carry a large switchblade to hack of that offending finger. That should do the trick.

ant_s
Nov 24, 2004, 03:50 AM
At work I once had a client who pointed at my nice 22" LaCie tube screen with the inky end of a ballpoint pen, too. Takes ages to clear that stuff off! Another thing that annoys me is when people use general purpose office wipes on their screens (or even Pledge!!) It wrecks the purple anti-glare coating on tubes, leaving silver-like smudges which really are awful!

And yes, I always get annoyed when people touch my PowerBook screen. Kitchen paper with water gets rid of the fingerprints, but it's still sooo annoying!

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2004, 10:41 AM
Kitchen paper with water gets rid of the fingerprints, but it's still sooo annoying!What is "kitchen paper"? If it's a British term, I don't know what the American version is.

Are those iKlear, iClean, iWipe, iDust, iPolish, iScrub, iShine, iTidy, iBeautify, iMakeItLookBetter, or whatever-they-are-called cleaning kits really worth it?

efoto
Nov 24, 2004, 11:40 AM
Oi, Now listen up all you doubters. One of my clients gave my screen a nice finger jab when selecting a photo. 'That one!" she said... ponk!!!. I was left forever with her finger mark halo'ed in center of my screen. LCD screens do mark, so always carry a large switchblade to hack of that offending finger. That should do the trick.

I do not think that anyone was doubting the fact that LCD screens can mark, I definitly do not doubt it because I have seen it firsthand, and its seldom pretty. There has to be some movement or pseudo-sweet website regarding this. If not, someone who is ubber-talented (with some free time) should make one so that when an offender touches our screens we can give them a little business card with the URL for this site that explains all the dangers and damages that their silly finger did/could cause.

Education is key because without the offender knowing the reasoning for it being labeled an offense, they will repeat and repeat until you make them understand.

BREAK SOME LEGS.

efoto
Nov 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
What is "kitchen paper"? If it's a British term, I don't know what the American version is.

Are those iKlear, iClean, iWipe, iDust, iPolish, iScrub, iShine, iTidy, iBeautify, iMakeItLookBetter, or whatever-they-are-called cleaning kits really worth it?

I would assume the American version of kitchen paper might mean paper toweling, but who knows. If that is the case then I would steer away from that in a hurry, not the best surface.

I used to work in automotive detailing as a side job for a couple of years and my mentor religiously made me know this: "No paper will ever be as nice to your finish as a clean sock or cotton t-shirt." (something to this)

I always dry my car with a full leather (non-synthetic) chammy (which is proper spelling, chamois is the animal, chammy is the cloth thingy made from its skin :P) and never a basic towel as some use.
Ok, I have no idea why I included this, we are talking about glass-related products, sorry.
On the glass I always keep my old t-shirts and white socks around. Socks work ok, but an older t-shirt that is washed a few times yields a very nice cleaning cloth. I have used this on my car windows for years as well as my old CRT. So far nothing has smudged or stricken my LCD *knock on wood* so I hope to never need experimentation with t-shirts and LCDs. When it does happen, like it will undoubtedly do, I will let you know but it sounds like a safe alternative to overly priced cleaning kits.

Nermal
Nov 24, 2004, 06:08 PM
Somebody at work who came to ask me a question yesterday jabbed at my screen. I took your collective advice. Funeral services will be held at Forest LOLwn Memorial Park Friday at noon.

Sorry, I won't be able to make it :(

aussie_geek
Nov 24, 2004, 06:48 PM
Just set up Exposé to show the desktop when the mouse is in a specific corner. When you see the finger approaching, a flick of the mouse should either confuse them greatly, or at least remove the object of their desire.

:p

I suffer from the same problem too. I am working in a medical practice where co-workers are touching my screen on a daily basis. Fair enough their hands are clean but what they use to clean their hands is what I am worried about. The active ingredients in the handwash are alcohol, chlorohexidine and Triclosan - (all antibacterial/antiviral agents).

I think the idea of the expose corners are a great idea. Have the hide all windows / show desktop one in the top right corner. When a finger goes for the screen then expose it.

Another way is to buy one of those screen protectors (the clear ones that go over the LCD). Has anyone got one if them? What are they like?

aussie_geek

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2004, 07:08 PM
How 'bout a deadman device like lawnmowers have? For example, if you aren't touching the special footrest, the screen goes dark. So anytime you get up or purposely take your feet off the pad, your screen goes blank. That way, you can lift your feet (which the "pokist" wont see under your desk) and they will get the feeling that your screen dislikes their approach all on its own.

This is only for the desk-potato types who never leave their chairs anyway. If you get up and move around while using your Mac, you need another solution.

gekko513
Nov 24, 2004, 07:17 PM
This must be perfect as a dashboard gadget! In big flashing letters: "Don't touch the screen!". Just hit F12 and it comes flying in :D

Edit: Similar effect. Make a background image with the text: "Don't touch the screen!" or something similar. Just hit F11 to reveal the message :D Or if you have a 4+ button mouse, you can assign a mouse button especially for displaying your message.

Windowlicker
Nov 25, 2004, 01:52 AM

Didn't Steve Jobs claim Aqua was 'lickable'?
Mind you, if it was covered in cheese-powder...

HAHA! Yes I think he did actually.

And edesignuk, that "touch my screen - only $1 a time!" box rules! I should have one next to my display at home when I have visitors.

tech4all
Nov 25, 2004, 02:23 AM
Edit: Similar effect. Make a background image with the text: "Don't touch the screen!" or something similar. Just hit F11 to reveal the message :D Or if you have a 4+ button mouse, you can assign a mouse button especially for displaying your message.

Now thats not a half bad idea :D *opens Photoshop and starts typing* :cool:

Chaszmyr
Nov 25, 2004, 05:26 AM
If people try to touch my mouse or keyboard, I get pretty testy... If they touch my screen, I come unhinged. Imagine if they did any damage! Heads may roll :eek:

MattG
Nov 25, 2004, 09:16 AM

That happened to me once. I yelled at a coworker because she kept touching the screen, so she shoved her finger in her mouth and wiped it on my screen. Me -> :eek: ... :mad:

neut
Nov 25, 2004, 02:58 PM
That happened to me once. I yelled at a coworker because she kept touching the screen, so she shoved her finger in her mouth and wiped it on my screen. Me -> :eek: ... :mad:

Now that's hot! :D

i wish my female coworkers would lick my screen... :p i don't think saliva is bad for the screen if wiped off within a reasonable amount of time (after she leaves). a small price to pay for a bit of eroticism at the workplace. ;)

peace.

zen_state
Nov 25, 2004, 06:02 PM
I used to hang with this guy that would touch the screen constantly. I would keep telling him not to and he would mindlessly keep doing it. it wasn't out of spite or anything its just that some people seem to lose the ability to think about all the little things they should or shouldn't do when they have their mind on anything that uses more than a few brain cells. :)

its not that they're stupid I think its just how they function naturally.

for the rest.. they seem to stop for good after being told once or twice.

Doctor Q
Nov 25, 2004, 06:27 PM
It's true that some people's hand motions are simply part of how they talk. They are probably the likely screen abusers. My wife's best friend does that. Arms and hands waving constantly. If you grab her wrists she has to stop talking.

pauld
Nov 27, 2004, 12:11 PM
i work in a college that teaches english to quite a few students from countries that are not so technologically advanced.
you wouldn't believe the amount of times i've had to stop them from physically writing their answers with a pen into the text boxes in the english software!!!

quackattack
Nov 27, 2004, 01:16 PM
I gotta admit, I thought you guys were being a little paranoid with this screen thing. But no one has ever really tried to touch mine.

But then just yesterday, I was showing a friend of mine something on my PB, and her kept poking my LCD! I just about freaked out! I guess its one of those things you can't really understand until it happens. :eek:

-quack

Santaduck
Nov 27, 2004, 01:57 PM
i work in a college that teaches english to quite a few students from countries that are not so technologically advanced.
you wouldn't believe the amount of times i've had to stop them from physically writing their answers with a pen into the text boxes in the english software!!!

it seems they assume our technology is even more advanced than it really is.

efoto
Nov 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
I just about freaked out! I guess its one of those things you can't really understand until it happens. :eek:

Definitely something that you learn to hate once it happens to you and your's. The world would perhaps be a better place without fingers, assuming we could still type somehow for forum's sake ;)

neut
Dec 10, 2004, 12:02 PM
just found this (http://www.5star-shareware.com/Savers/Humour/dont-touch.html) (PC only).

a bit cheesy and more for kids. someone should make a Mac computer saver... any takers? i don't have the time.

peace.

Ish
Dec 10, 2004, 12:02 PM
I would assume the American version of kitchen paper might mean paper toweling, but who knows. If that is the case then I would steer away from that in a hurry, not the best surface.

I used to work in automotive detailing as a side job for a couple of years and my mentor religiously made me know this: "No paper will ever be as nice to your finish as a clean sock or cotton t-shirt." (something to this)

I always dry my car with a full leather (non-synthetic) chammy (which is proper spelling, chamois is the animal, chammy is the cloth thingy made from its skin :P) and never a basic towel as some use.
Ok, I have no idea why I included this, we are talking about glass-related products, sorry.
On the glass I always keep my old t-shirts and white socks around. Socks work ok, but an older t-shirt that is washed a few times yields a very nice cleaning cloth. I have used this on my car windows for years as well as my old CRT. So far nothing has smudged or stricken my LCD *knock on wood* so I hope to never need experimentation with t-shirts and LCDs. When it does happen, like it will undoubtedly do, I will let you know but it sounds like a safe alternative to overly priced cleaning kits.

Try the 'glass cloth' version of the E-cloth range, just barely damp and wipe the screen gently. It absorbs the grease without a chemical in sight. Every once in a while, give it a wash (the cloth, that is!)

Pugdawg1
Dec 10, 2004, 12:32 PM
Anyone that ever touches this screen is going DOWN.

Grrrrr

Doctor Q
Dec 10, 2004, 01:17 PM
When people I've warned before (usually by biting off the offending finger) eventually return, they point at my screen without touching it (lest they lose another digit), but they sometimes still get too close for comfort. When that happens, I find that I watch their finger to make sure it doesn't get any closer, and that distracts me from listening to whatever they are telling me. A coworker might do this and then, when they leave, I think to myself "Whew! My screen is still ok. Gee, I wonder what he just said to me?"

Mantat
Dec 10, 2004, 03:04 PM
Here are some actual datas:

When I still had my powerbook, I was also worried about the 'screen-touchers' and wondered if it could do some damage. Of course, I wouldnt risk my own beloved machine in the experiment so I picked the best test subject: my IBM Thinkpad from work!

I started by touching the screen a few time in various spot. Nothing changed. Then I rubbed the screen with my thumb adding more and more pressure and it showed to permanent damage. Feeling convident in the durability of the screen, I pressed my thumb on the LCD while the rest of the hand was pressing on the other side of the screen and finaly managed to damage the screen! No dead pixel, just decoloration, everything shift toward the white a bit.

Of course, to make a real experiment, I should have repeated the test on my powerbook but never dare even doing the first part of the test...

Moral of the story: LCD are thougher than what we think but better not take any chances!

MegaSignal
Dec 10, 2004, 11:23 PM
Very interesting posts.

If I may say so: I have an eight-year-old and a ten-year-old. They are well versed, at least as end-users, in the basic methods of computing with Mac, PC, and Linux units, all located within our home. Two of the machines have a CRT; my G5 has a 20-inch studio display.

There are fingerprints on none of the monitors. Period. In fact, my kids are even reluctant to use a bonafide "touch screen", such as at a banking institution or otherwise.

Most rewarding is my children's insistance with their freinds to not touch the screens as they use any of these machines.

The future holds hope...

goodtimes5
Dec 11, 2004, 12:18 AM
My friend was using my iBook for fun. I told her not to touch my screen. She proceeded to poke my screen.

But it didn't end at that.

She proceeded to poke with pressure and swiggle all around because she was entertained by the ripples.

Can you believe it?

Artful Dodger
Dec 11, 2004, 10:59 AM
Man! touching the screen makes me nuts! Thats all the guys at my work do is touch the screen :mad: Can't just point-No press with some force!
Now I ask for their glasses and smear them, since then they get the point and its stopped. But my girlfriend gets way to close to the screen and makes me crazy.

Doctor Q
Dec 11, 2004, 12:34 PM
I have an eight-year-old and a ten-year-old. They are well versed, at least as end-users, in the basic methods of computing with Mac, PC, and Linux units, all located within our home. Two of the machines have a CRT; my G5 has a 20-inch studio display. There are fingerprints on none of the monitors. Period. In fact, my kids are even reluctant to use a bonafide "touch screen", such as at a banking institution or otherwise.When your kids get to our neighborhood middle school, MegaSigna, that's the time we can consider switching our classroom computers from eMacs to iMacs. You've pointed out the real solution to the problem: educating the next generation. If they grow up knowing how to treat LCDs, those in the current generation who don't know any better will fade into the sunset.

puckhead193
Dec 11, 2004, 12:42 PM
that's why there is Iklear ;)

Doctor Q
Jan 13, 2005, 12:30 AM
A frame from Tuesday's keynote speech! :eek:

(Maybe the dangerously close finger jab explains why Steve is throwing up his hands.)

Counterfit
Jan 13, 2005, 01:29 AM
Doesn't the iMac G5 have some lucite over the display like the iPod?

virividox
Jan 13, 2005, 01:48 AM
i used to be really anal about it, but some ppl cant help it, i just tell them nicely to refrain from touching, i dont mind the finger prints cuz they come off, but if ppl apply hard pressure ten i get annoyed

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:23 AM
Doctor Q, if people are poking your screen, I would suggest you poke them as well.......in the side that will send the message through. ;) :p :) :D

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:25 AM
A frame from Tuesday's keynote speech! :eek:

(Maybe the dangerously close finger jab explains why Steve is throwing up his hands.)

Maybe that couple has the "Touch-Screen" option for the iMac from a 3rd party vendor. :)

maya
Jan 13, 2005, 02:27 AM
Doesn't the iMac G5 have some lucite over the display like the iPod?

No it does not.

However I have noticed it has a protective hard coat layer. Maybe its just for anti-reflecting of something of that nature. :)

spacepower7
Jan 13, 2005, 03:02 AM
I had a friend touch my Pismo's (G3 powerbook-firewire) screen within the first 3 months. That mark is still on the screen no matter how many times I clean it, almost 5 years later. I am not sure if it was oil on her hands, nail polish, or a sharp fingernail. It's a small mark, but it was a new laptop, so I never forgot it.

fatandlazy11
Jul 5, 2006, 07:58 PM
This is why I have a CRT screen. I don't see what the big hype is about LCD screens. CRT's take up more space, but who cares? I can understand if you have limited space, but we all survived before lcd's came along, didn't we? I have a 21 inch CRT monitor. And while, it is the titanic of monitor size, you can touch it all you want;)

count chocula
Jul 5, 2006, 08:01 PM
This is why I have a CRT screen. I don't see what the big hype is about LCD screens. CRT's take up more space, but who cares? I can understand if you have limited space, but we all survived before lcd's came along, didn't we? I have a 21 inch CRT monitor. And while, it is the titanic of monitor size, you can touch it all you want;)
wow, its been a year and a half!!! talk about a good searcher.

Doctor Q
Jul 5, 2006, 08:26 PM
We're talking about this again because of the new iMac for Education (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060705092627.shtml). Having iMacs in schools brings up the question of whether the screens will survive or be poked to death by students before they learn not to.

puckhead193
Jul 5, 2006, 08:29 PM
We're talking about this again because of the new iMac for Education (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060705092627.shtml). Having iMacs in schools brings up the question of whether the screens will survive or be poked to death by students before they learn not to.
my HS had the headless G4 and it wasn't too bad, yes their was crap on the screens but it wasn't terrible. Then again it was HS and not elementary

Electro Funk
Jul 5, 2006, 09:37 PM
in my opinion, as long as you dont have dracula, or coke nails :D everything should be fine....

i actually used to grab my TI PBG4 screen from the top and back and with a thumb and forefinger to swing it 180 degrees to turn it around and show people stuff... when i would do that the pressure on the lcd would show all the pixles changing colours from the pressure and people would freak!

a nice cleaning with a microfiber cloth would always clean it up...

that is until six years later my hinges broke flew out at me head and almost put an eye out.... but this happend from simply opening up the powerbook :o

although i dont know if i would attempt this with the new glossys

Mord
Jul 6, 2006, 05:26 AM
i live in a CRT free house, just because of the lack of high pitched whine from lcds (i'm talking really high pitched, most people cant hear it) and the eye pain. at full brightness you cant tell how smudgy and dirty my macbook screen is.

EricNau
Jul 6, 2006, 05:40 AM
Why doesn't Apple just place a piece of glass over the LCD?

Mord
Jul 6, 2006, 05:49 AM
glass of high enough quality to not adversely effect the sharpness of the screen is rather expencive.

QCassidy352
Jul 6, 2006, 09:21 AM
when my ibook screen had bright spots and I sent it to applecare, they tried to tell me that the spots had been caused by my touching the screen which can apparently cause "micro fractures" under the LCD. They were making this up, of course - I never touch my screen, and the bright spots appeared on their own (which apple eventually admitted when they fixed my ibook), but it made me wonder - can touching the screen (with some force) possible do more harm than just causing smudges and such? IMO, a ton of kids touching these LCDs could be trouble.

bbrosemer
Jul 6, 2006, 10:05 AM
i just slap peoples hands when they touch my screen and say... NO!

chairguru22
Jul 6, 2006, 11:22 AM
my little brother does this and its a pet-peeve of mine. his computer has fingerprints and smudges all over it...

4God
Jul 6, 2006, 11:40 AM
I wish a hand with a long pointy fingernail would suddenly come out of the screen and poke back every time somebody touches my screen. :mad:

emw
Jul 6, 2006, 12:00 PM
Oddly enough, I was thinking of this thread the other day as someone went to point at something on my MBP screen with a pen. I almost took his hand off. ;)

Shadow
Sep 11, 2006, 04:41 PM
Very time someone goes for my MacBooks screen I have a fit. I'm now known between freinds for them "DON'T TOUCH THE ****ING SCREEN!":eek:

NATO
Sep 11, 2006, 06:05 PM
I can't stand people touching my screens. When they've done it, I actually get that 'sinking feeling' in my stomach and immediately snap at them about not touching the screen. You have no idea just how annoying it is to me.

My friends and family are scared to go near my screens/laptop because they know how snappy I am if they touch my screen.

Keep them in fear... it really is the best way to keep your screens clean ;)

RacerX
Sep 11, 2006, 09:48 PM
For first time LCD or laptop owners I usually bring a sheet of bubble wrap with me to show them how their new screen works.

I usually pop a bubble in the bubble wrap to show what could happen with poking the screen. The "pop" and deflated bubble usually gets the point across pretty good. :eek:

MovieCutter
Sep 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
Kick their ass...seriously.

Kingsly
Sep 11, 2006, 09:58 PM
I seriously want to bludgeon a toucher to death with my MacBook Pro.

Instead I just stand there and manage a forced smile.

phantasm10
Sep 12, 2006, 01:14 AM
Just make a nice wallpaper that says "Don't Touch the ********** Screen" and as soon as someone's hand or pen moves toward it hit F11.

bbrosemer
Sep 12, 2006, 09:22 AM
OMG I have yelled at some many people for touching my screen. *******s....

deputy_doofy
Sep 12, 2006, 09:28 AM
I didn't even read through the whole thread. The title was enough for me to post. Why the f#$$#$#$$# can't people point to something on the screen WITHOUT putting their disgusting fingers on it? I swear, the next person who smudges my screen will have to accept me taking a piss on their plasma TV screen. :/

TBi
Sep 12, 2006, 09:55 AM
I just don't get why people get so offended when you ask them not to touch your screen. Sometimes they say you are overreacting and calm down. Or they start playing around pretending to touch the screen. I mean, it's my screen, i paid a few hundred for me. I don't want you to touch or dirty it, can't you just respect my choice?

If you ask me not to touch something i won't touch it.

My new rule might be if a girl touchs my screen after i tell her not to then i should be allowed grab her ass. See how she likes it.

As for a guy, i'll just ask him not to :)

MacBoobsPro
Sep 12, 2006, 10:00 AM
Most people I know, know I will tear there frickin arms off and use them to poke them to death if they even think of touching my screens.

Also hate it when people sneeze or cough and it goes on the screen I just want to smash their heads in...

...is that a bit too harsh?

Maybe i need counselling. :D

FleurDuMal
Sep 12, 2006, 10:11 AM
There are several things that people do to my Macbook that can really piss me off (mainly because I've told them once not to do it, and yet they'll continue to do it):
-Touching the screen...though people are now getting the message that they shouldnt do that.
-Eating whilst leaning over the keyboard. My old Sony laptop keyboard was practically destroyed by crumbs, yet my girlfriend still doesn't understand not to do it.
-I once walked into my room to find my mum had put a coffee cup on my nice new, white Macbook. I mean, really!!!!!
-Once I found an ant that was so inconsiderate as to climb into my Macbook keyobard. I tried telling it how much I'd spent on the laptop, but it wouldnt listen to reason.

Trekkie
Sep 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
one tactic that seems to work is to keep a cleaner handy and every time someone does it you interrupt everything to make a point of cleaning where they just touched while looking at them sarcastically like 'wtf you moron' that usually gets the point across without them loosing a digit.

If it keeps up, verbal comments work, and then depending on the environment a smack to the top of the hand catches their attention too.

ZoomZoomZoom
Sep 12, 2006, 10:47 AM

My university has LCD screens and iMacs all over the place, and touching the screen doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, I almost never see people touch or poke a screen. I think that most people have gotten technolocigally competant enough to realize that pointing is good enough.

FleurDuMal
Sep 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
one tactic that seems to work is to keep a cleaner handy and every time someone does it you interrupt everything to make a point of cleaning where they just touched while looking at them sarcastically like 'wtf you moron' that usually gets the point across without them loosing a digit.

If it keeps up, verbal comments work, and then depending on the environment a smack to the top of the hand catches their attention too.

Unfortunately, by doing that you run the risk of ending up with no friends.

Then again, how many friends have I spent £800 on...:p

Doctor Q
Sep 12, 2006, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, by doing that you run the risk of ending up with no friends.That's one way to keep people away from your screen; reduce your number of friends. Bad body odor, a hacking cough, and a tendency to snarl could help too!

FleurDuMal
Sep 12, 2006, 11:34 AM
That's one way to keep people away from your screen; reduce your number of friends. Bad body odor, a hacking cough, and a tendency to snarl could help too!

Telling people you have the Black Death or bird flu would also help.

Cybergypsy
Dec 6, 2006, 05:44 PM
I cringe when anyone points to the screen, i always think they will touch it....and no one touches my mac...

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
I've trained everyone at the office to keep their fingers away from my LCD screen, but if I put up a solid color background I can see some spots, and there are small raised bumps. I touched the screen myself (verrrrry gently) to see if one would brush off, but it would not. It won't blow off with air either.

Does dust from the air collect that way, making tiny hard spots that need cleaning off now and then with a screen cleaner?

jsw
Jan 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
Does dust from the air collect that way, making tiny hard spots that need cleaning off now and then with a screen cleaner?No, but sneezes, fizz from carbonated beverages, etc. can have that effect.

Blue Velvet
Jan 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
This is the first thread where I noticed the phenomenon that is Q...

...way back when.

No-one touches my screen; they wouldn't dare.

Doctor Q
Jan 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
No, but sneezes, fizz from carbonated beverages, etc. can have that effect.My Dr Pepper must be the guilty party!

Thanks. I'll be more careful to open cans away from the screen.

Boomer.au
Jan 5, 2007, 11:55 PM
I always found having hedge clippers handy can nip that problem in the bud.
:D

BigPrince
Jan 5, 2007, 11:57 PM
I hate absolutly hate that. My boss touches her screen and I tell her if I was her husband I would divorce her.

nickweston
Jan 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'm a music producer and have artists coming through my studio all the time, and at some point most of them try to touch my screen to point out a vocal part, etc...

I just say "that's not supposed to be good for the screen" and they immediately get it without me having to say what I REALLY want to say!

Quboid
Jan 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
I hate that too. My GF has the habbit of doing it sometimes.

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
And this is why I bought a clear static screen protector that goes over the LCD :D

Doctor Q
Jan 6, 2007, 12:25 AM
And this is why I bought a clear static screen protector that goes over the LCD :DDoes it affect the clarity, brightness, or image quality?

Zwhaler
Jan 6, 2007, 12:34 AM
I am way more anal about people touching my screen than one of my friends, who owned a iMac G5 and he claims it doesn't get the screen dirty. My ass. After two years, his screen looked like crap and mine looked perfect. That is the difference between being careful and being careless.

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 01:03 AM
Does it affect the clarity, brightness, or image quality?

Placed an order for it. I will updated once I receive it. Hopefully some pictures too.

zephead
Jan 6, 2007, 01:35 AM
Haha, this has been one of the things getting on my nerves lately, and here's a thread about it! When someone tries to touch my MacBook's screen, I just calmly explain not to do it since it'll leave smudges and such. I didn't mind when I had my Dell (which is my cousin's problem now :D ), but ever since I got this MacBook, the littlest things dirty on it (hair, specks, and such) get wiped/blown off.

phungy
Jan 6, 2007, 01:45 AM
Haha, this has been one of the things getting on my nerves lately, and here's a thread about it! When someone tries to touch my MacBook's screen, I just calmly explain not to do it since it'll leave smudges and such. I didn't mind when I had my Dell (which is my cousin's problem now :D ), but ever since I got this MacBook, the littlest things dirty on it (hair, specks, and such) get wiped/blown off.

Same here. I pulled the MB out of its sleeve with a glove to prevent any fingerprints on it. Before even turning it on, I applied invisible skin from BestSkinsEver on the outside as well as the palm rest, trackpad and click-button.

Still haven't powered the MB on yet, I install 2x1GB of RAM. Finally I turn it on with the iSkin for the keyboard. Whenever I go to sleep I place the included thin foam that goes between the LCD and keyboard because the iSkin has already made a small smudge on the screen.

Waiting on the clear screen protector ...

Call me obsessive compulsive but I try to keep all my technologies in pristine condition. :D :cool:

McGarvels
Jan 6, 2007, 02:21 AM

Heck, I'd keep the cleaner ready, but instead of spraying/cleaning my screen I would spray it repeatedly in their eyes until they fall on the floor writhing in pain and then repeatedly kick them. That will teach them to ever touch my screen again.

Ish
Jan 6, 2007, 06:30 AM
I always found having hedge clippers handy can nip that problem in the bud.
:D

Secateurs are much quicker! :D

michaelsaxon
Jan 6, 2007, 11:44 AM
It's biology overcoming rationality. I blame evolution and our tactile natures.

DigitalN.
Jan 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
I just give them a little verbal warning, and if they do touch it, fair game.

"Touch my screen and I am going to touch your face, and its not going to be my finger"

superninjagoat
Jan 7, 2007, 07:23 PM
Since the last time I posted in the tread, I found a new, effective tool against screen-touchers.

I got an air horn.

Trust me. It works. I work at a newspaper, and reporters are notorious screen-touchers. Some of them even point with the business end of a pen, leaving marks on the screen. We got Apple Cinema displays last year, and the week I got it some asshat reporter touched my screen with a red pen. Fortunately I was able to rub it out. I got the horn the next day.

Nobody has touched my screen in months. :D tehehehe!

-s.n. goat

phungy
Jan 9, 2007, 03:52 PM
Does it affect the clarity, brightness, or image quality?

Definitely not! Check it out (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260072629425&rd=1&rd=1).

There's no point in taking a picture because I can't even tell it is there!

It was the PERFECT cut. Not gaps at ALL. Clings like static...applying it may be tedious cause I wanted every bubble to disappear (though I failed) but now I won't have to worry about people poking my screen or placing the sheet of foam between my iSkin and the LCD now.

Highly recommend! It's cheap and he ships FAST.

MegaSignal
Jan 9, 2007, 07:43 PM
i live in a CRT free house, just because of the lack of high pitched whine from lcds (i'm talking really high pitched, most people cant hear it) and the eye pain. at full brightness you cant tell how smudgy and dirty my macbook screen is.

I can hear it in CRTs too - it comes from what is called the "B+ voltage", eminates from the flyback coil, and is a real pain in the ears if you're susceptible to it.

If you need relief from eye pain, switch the video adaptor from 60Hz to 75Hz or higher next time you're forced to work with a CRT as it will reduce the "flicker factor".

BTW - now that no one has touched my iBook's screen, it is now covered with a completely uniform coating of dust. Does anyone out there know how to clean it safely?

herodian
Feb 22, 2007, 12:31 PM
I can hear it in CRTs too - it comes from what is called the "B+ voltage", eminates from the flyback coil, and is a real pain in the ears if you're susceptible to it.

If you need relief from eye pain, switch the video adaptor from 60Hz to 75Hz or higher next time you're forced to work with a CRT as it will reduce the "flicker factor".

BTW - now that no one has touched my iBook's screen, it is now covered with a completely uniform coating of dust. Does anyone out there know how to clean it safely?

vinegar, apparently. nature's wonder stuff.

and as for the whine... OMG.... it drives me mad. everywhere i go, there's a whining noise. the only piece and quiet i get is in the car, and my front room. the street lights round here make whining noises too, day and night. weird.

phillipjfry
Feb 22, 2007, 01:26 PM
I hate fingerprints on any monitor. I mean I really hate fingerprints on screens. A single piece of dust or a single follicle of hair on my screen will drive me nuts until I wipe it off. This is no joke. I constantly wipe my CRT with screen cleaner. Yeah, I'm weird!

You and me both. My monitor is probably cleaner than most surgery rooms.

I am more forgiving than others here about touching the monitor. My gf still hasn't grasped the concept of "finger 1/2 inch from the monitor or more at all times" but now she just uses her knuckle to show me what she wants me to look at. Less finger smudge, etc.

srf4real
Feb 25, 2007, 07:20 AM
I used a hp 17" lcd for about twenty months before getting my new gateway 22" lcd. It never showed any signs of damage from a little finger pressure - mostly from every time I adjusted it up or down with one hand instead of using two around the frame like I probably should've... but that would sure annoy me if people were poking at it, whether it hurts or not! I'd have to poke 'em back and be like "how do you like it!":p

daneoni
Feb 25, 2007, 08:30 AM
Happened to me this past week, dude asked to borrow my laptop to check his mail but instead of checking the mail he goes on some random site that looks like it was composed from malware. Luckily i own a mac.

He then calls a girlfriend over and starts showing her stuff and both dweebs start poking at the screen like its a game of poke me here..and here....and here...how about here....maybe here....slightly there.

I immediately wipe the screen thoroughly when i get home and use antiseptic wipes to clean the entire base/keboard. Cos they were sucking on lolipops as well during the incident.

Im very anal about keyboards and mice. Its too easy to pick up nasty bugs, which is why i rarely use the lab computers.

mobi
Feb 26, 2007, 08:31 PM
When people touch my screen I cringe, and as soon as they leave, I whip out my Optimist Prime (http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=73).

Fearless Leader
Feb 26, 2007, 08:35 PM
While it isn't probably isn't bad, it isn't bad either. It drives me crazy. But its not touch, this one person I know has nails and drags them under the word as she reads. :mad:

davidjearly
Feb 26, 2007, 08:40 PM
Every time someone pokes at your screen, you should poke at their eye. Seriously.

mrkramer
Feb 26, 2007, 08:44 PM
While it isn't probably isn't bad, it isn't bad either. It drives me crazy.
What is that supposed to mean?:confused:

Every time someone pokes at your screen, you should poke at their eye. Seriously.

Thats a great idea, I think I'll try it next time.;)

Fearless Leader
Feb 26, 2007, 08:46 PM
What is that supposed to mean?:confused:

lol sorry I got very little sleep last night.

.JahJahwarrior.
Feb 26, 2007, 08:47 PM
Poking and touching are perhaps, two differne't things. I know a girl who got seriously uspet with me when I touched her screen once, to point out which of this or that I was talking about. Matte screen on a pc, no residue or anything noticiable left behind, just barely even had that effect that happens when you hit a screen, you know? And she almost flew off the handle. Jeez. Sometimes, your screen will gt touched. If I had poked or hit it, I'd understand her anger. If it was a nice, high end mac, I would have understood her anger. If it had left a mark, I would have understood. It did none of those, so I don't understand it. I'm fine with her touching my monitor from time to time to point things out to me.

psycoswimmer
Feb 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
I agree I hate it when people touch my screen. But what ranks equally high in my computer irritations list is people using my stuff with grubby fingers.
I can't stand it when people who have just eaten a hand-full of potato chips and then brush their hands on their jeans and happily start using my keyboard and touchpad. I can't stand a sticky/greasy computer! What is wrong with these people?! Isn't this obvious.

This has been something that has bothered me since I was like 7 when I got my new Super Nintendo. NO PLAYING UNTIL YOUR HANDS ARE WASHED! This lasted through my N64 and now has moved on to my Powerbook. :D

My friends think I'm a neat freak when I say "wash that cheese off your hands before you get within 5 feet of my iMac". Or when I tell them to get their filled-to-the-top glass of water/pop whatever away from my keyboard.

thegoldenmackid
Feb 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
My friends think I'm a neat freak when I say "wash that cheese off your hands before you get within 5 feet of my iMac". Or when I tell them to get their filled-to-the-top glass of water/pop whatever away from my keyboard.

macs unlike chicken, better not fried

Erasmus
Feb 26, 2007, 09:50 PM
I must admit I'm not scared about touching my screen, although I obviously don't do it often. However while reading through this thread, I've touched it a few times

Firstly, from my Dad's experience with other LCD's (not mine, but his) a few firm taps will often coax a dead pixel into working again.

LCD's, well at least my 6+ year old one, (I think it's an original rev. 15" Apple LCD Displays, bought it with my Cube) are incredibly resilient. Once, a few years ago, I was moving the screen while it was on, moving a small way to a better position on my desk, when to my horror, it toppled forward. I failed to catch it, and to my absolute hysterical fear-of-damage-to-my-precious-cube, it flopped hard, as I'm sure you can imagine (It weighs quite a lot) on top of one of the cube's spherical speakers. They are about 100mm in diameter. My computer promptly shut down, I don't know why, I expect a wire was touching the power button (The touch sensitive ones that are only affected by fingers and metal). After sorting it all out, I was horrified to discover the slightest warping of the panel down the bottom of the screen. However, there were no dead pixels, and the warping was really only noticable on a single colour background.

Now, a few years later, that warping has completely dissappeared. The panel has sagged a little, giving my screen the same sort of warping marks in horizontal waves, but they can only be seen when looking at the screen at a very large viewing angle.

I wouldn't be surprised if modern screens are nowhere near as tough as mine is, but it must be good to know that a screen can take a huge knock, and will heal itself over time, as the liquid crystal very slowly flows back to where it is supposed to be.

I sometimes use the middle length of my index finger to remove dust from my screen, to no noticable ill effect, even after six years.

SkyBell
Feb 26, 2007, 10:16 PM
You need something the equivalent of a "swear box", but this will be a "you touched my screen you bastard, now gimme some money" box :D

$1 a time ;)

By the time all these people have worn a hole in your screen you should have made enough to buy a new one :cool:

Now that's a plan :p

I like his idea best.:D

kingkezz
Feb 27, 2007, 03:25 AM
...if only so that I could use it as an excuse to upgrade to a PB G5 if they ever release one.

...well I thought it was funny.

Erasmus
Mar 2, 2007, 09:36 PM
So, after reading this fascinating thread, I felt compelled to make a desktop picture expressing the feelings you all have towards people touching your LCD screen.

Made with Bryce 5, the lens flare is from Photoshop 5.5

I intend to put a banner over the top saying "Look, Point, But... Don't Touch!" over it, but... OK, I'll do that now. May take a few hours to re-render though. Bryce 5 on a 450Mhz G4 is not fun. Especially the free version that was released a while ago by DAZ3D, which is exceedingly dodgy, and annoying, but it's still Bryce, and so it's awesome.

Just wish there was some way of putting SolidWorks models in Bryce...

So, Will post back here in a few hours with a bit of luck.

Cyas all soon, hope you like, and if you don't, I'll do my best to make it better!

Shotgun OS
Mar 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
Ahh, this thread reminds me of when my one friend pushed really hard on a Dell LCD screen while pointing out the new iMac I was going to get. He pushed so hard, he left an imprint of his finger on the screen. I hasn't gone away since. :P

As least the people aren't jabbing your screen with a pocket knife like I actually did....:(

Erasmus
Mar 2, 2007, 11:47 PM
Desktop Picture for people who don't want their screen touched!

It's in 1600x1200, so it's not widescreen.

So any comments greatly appreciated.

That's supposed to be a guillotine up the top there, if you were unsure...

And yes, they are supposed to be laser beams.

And no, it's not available to the general public ;-)

Doctor Q
Mar 3, 2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks mucho, Erasmus. I have a new desktop picture! :)

Erasmus
Mar 8, 2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks mucho, Erasmus. I have a new desktop picture! :)

:) Glad you like.

Of course now you'll get the jerks who touch things that say "don't touch" touching your screen.

Perhaps you should invest in an electrified wire mesh over the front of the screen?

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 07:35 AM
Because it irritates me no end. Screens are for looking at, there is no reason to ever touch them. You can quite easily point to things without ever making contact with the screen. And then you have the people who not only touch, but forcibly jab screens.

My Macbook now has two dead pixels thanks to a friend who just can't resist jabbing at the screen like a monkey every time she gets on my MacBook.

Will people ever learn?

Magick
Aug 17, 2007, 07:38 AM
Some people have trouble with depth perception ;)

Mavimao
Aug 17, 2007, 07:44 AM
They like the pretty colors.

Hard-Hat-Mac
Aug 17, 2007, 08:15 AM
I AM WITH YOU!!!!

This is my number one computing pet peeve. Even after you tell people just don't touch the screen please. They STILL do it. It's like a moth to a light. I can understand with my 4yr niece, but when my co-workers or friends do it i can't help but shutter.

HHM

swiftaw
Aug 17, 2007, 08:23 AM
A couple of broken fingers and people soon get the message :D

Toknee
Aug 17, 2007, 08:25 AM
My GF does this all the time, pokes the screen, runs her finger across the screen while reading a webpage, will poke on a link with her finger, as if it were the cursor, it annoys the ***** out of me.

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 08:26 AM
And LCD screens are fragile with very little in the form of protection. They aren't designed to be poked, they're not meant to be poked and poking can damage them. The fact that after spending thousands of dollars on a MacBook I now have a "damaged screen" thanks to my friend poking it is what's really annoying.

I'm sure they wouldn't like it if you "touched" their car paint with your keys, but it's no different.

Taylor C
Aug 17, 2007, 08:28 AM
This is easily the single most annoying thing I encounter on a daily basis. I can't even begin to express how much it irritates me. ><

epicwelshman
Aug 17, 2007, 08:32 AM
A couple of broken fingers and people soon get the message :D

haha, little extreme... but if it works... :D

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
haha, little extreme... but if it works... :D

There should be an option to have an electric current running through your screen, that'll soon train offenders not to poke screens.

kuebby
Aug 17, 2007, 08:36 AM
My parents do the same thing. I think it's partly because they've used CRTs for so long that they're used to a screen that can be touched without fear of damage.

notjustjay
Aug 17, 2007, 08:37 AM
The fact that after spending thousands of dollars on a MacBook I now have a "damaged screen" thanks to my friend poking it is what's really annoying.

Try massaging it some more (really). That might bring back the pixel. At least that's what people always suggested to me.

Once when my workplace gave me a brand new 21" Trinitron monitor, I had a big sticky note on the top that said "PLEASE DO NOT SMUDGE MY BRAND NEW MONITOR!!!" People got the message pretty quickly.

rest44
Aug 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
With glossy screens, this isn´t an issue cause of the glass.

Am I right?

johnee
Aug 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
There should be an option to have an electric current running through your screen, that'll soon train offenders not to poke screens.

When I was young, I had a 300 in 1 electronics kit and made a shock device. I put this on my doorknob and told my little nieces and nephews to go into my room :D they never went in my room again.

I hate screen pokers.

GoCubsGo
Aug 17, 2007, 08:45 AM
Because they have nothing better to poke?

miniConvert
Aug 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
Screen pokers do my head in as well. I very rarely have to clean my own screens because, other than a little dust over time, they stay pristine. The iMac's my staff use, on the other hand, look like a three year old just ate a banana off of them.

I go in with the iKlear every now and then to sort them out, but it's soul destroying!

whooleytoo
Aug 17, 2007, 08:53 AM

Am I right?

Less likely to damage the screen, true. On the other hand, on glossy screens fingers leave noticeable smudges. Either way, it's best to keep fingers away!

thisonechance
Aug 17, 2007, 08:55 AM
This is one of the most annoying habits people have. I have successfully gotten my g/f to stop, now only if the rest of the world would do the same.

The computers at my work are unbelievable. Half of them have the anti-glare coating scraped off.

Bern
Aug 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
Here I was thinking it was just me being a victim again :D I hate it when people touch my screen.

For the OP who has the dead pixels try running either one these pixel fixers, they might unstick them for you. There's Pixel Fix (http://homepage.mac.com/hockey2891/Widgetaria/download.html) and JScreen Fix (http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php) the latter being preferred.

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 09:01 AM

Am I right?

Not true, glossy screens don't have any glass on them at all. It's merely a different coating than the one applied to matt screens.

I'm glad I'm not the only one driven bonkers by this. I'm trying to tell myself that the two dead pixels that appeared after the poking, and where the poking occurred have nothing to do with the poking because it makes me angry.

Can poking actually produce dead pixels? Seems to be the case from my anecdotal experience, but it would make me feel better if they were always there and I just didn't notice them.

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 09:04 AM
Here I was thinking it was just me being a victim again :D I hate it when people touch my screen.

For the OP who has the dead pixels try running either one these pixel fixers, they might unstick them for you. There's Pixel Fix (http://homepage.mac.com/hockey2891/Widgetaria/download.html) and JScreen Fix (http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php) the latter being preferred.

I love you guys! Why can't everyone be like you all. Life would be so much easier and better.

johnee
Aug 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
So let's collectively decide on a protocol to prevent screen pokers from practicing their craft.

how about a "don't poke" campaign?

Or, (i like this one better)

after they poke your screen, give them a good poking :D :D in their forehead

ataylora
Aug 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
I tell people straight up, don't poke the screen as it will damage it. I've never had anyone disobey, but if they did, they'd be out of pocket for a new screen were any damage caused.

nbs2
Aug 17, 2007, 09:19 AM
I wonder if complaints like this were a factor in Apple's introduction of the glass casing on the iMac.

gnasher729
Aug 17, 2007, 09:25 AM

Am I right?

Doesn't help with marker pens :mad:

esaleris
Aug 17, 2007, 09:27 AM
From a psycological standpoint, older people tend to treat monitors as paper. Reading for the previous generation was a tacticle activity; for the younger generation, we've learned that pointing on the screen doesn't do much.

Moral of the story? Don't hang out with old people. Or something like that.

Osarkon
Aug 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
I wonder if complaints like this were a factor in Apple's introduction of the glass casing on the iMac.

It would make sense I guess.

The whole poking business doesn't bother me that much with matte screens, but don't you DARE touch my glossy screens.

I had my macbook back from repair and they'd cleaned the screen for me, it was immaculate. Then a friend poked it. Instead fingerprint, and glossy screens aren't the easiest things to keep clean. The damn smudge is STILL there.

Flobber88
Aug 17, 2007, 09:57 AM
I agree, everytime someone pokes you screen, you poke them harder:D

CADer
Aug 17, 2007, 10:09 AM
I could not agree more with everyone on this screen poking issue. I think I take it one step further cause I get so angry I tell the person that they can not use my MBP, and yes it is a glossy screen. I even get mad at my wife and don't let her use it.

On another note I think that maybe it is a scandal, every fool who only has a Windows PC is just so jealous that they have to damage our Mac's just to try to get up on our level. I know the only people that poke my MBP are Windows users, I have never ad another Mac user poke it.

dodododododododo.......

Alloye
Aug 17, 2007, 10:22 AM
Another thumbs down for this habit. It drove me nuts even back in the CRT days. A couple good smacks with a ruler usually takes care of it. ;)

Stamen
Aug 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
Also one of my pet peeves, for sure. I just cleaned, for the first time, a monitor I've had for 2 years. Once you do anything to them, include cleaning them, they never look as good as when you first unpack it.

My monitor at home cost me $1,000, and normally I'm an easy going fellow. But if anyone's fingers even head toward my monitor I tell them to stop, in a very forceful tone, without any ambiguity "Do NOT touch my monitor!".

LCDs that aren't protected (basically most everyone but the new iMac) can and are damaged by being poked. And since they are expensive as heck, if your friends can't understand that damaging your expensive equipment isn't appropriate, perhaps you need new friends (perhaps this is why I have no friends, hmm ;-) )

nick123
Aug 17, 2007, 10:29 AM
Because it irritates me no end. Screens are for looking at, there is no reason to ever touch them. You can quite easily point to things without ever making contact with the screen. And then you have the people who not only touch, but forcibly jab screens.

My Macbook now has two dead pixels thanks to a friend who just can't resist jabbing at the screen like a monkey every time she gets on my MacBook.

Will people ever learn?

. Couldnt have said it better myself.

PimpDaddy
Aug 17, 2007, 10:30 AM

Will people ever learn?

And LCD screens are fragile with very little in the form of protection. They aren't designed to be poked, they're not meant to be poked and poking can damage them. The fact that after spending thousands of dollars on a MacBook I now have a "damaged screen" thanks to my friend poking it is what's really annoying.

I'm sure they wouldn't like it if you "touched" their car paint with your keys, but it's no different.

If those persons actually damaged your screen, you should have them cough up some money. I would do that, even if it was my girlfriend who caused the damage (I also tell her not to do it, all the time but it still happens :mad:)

Antares
Aug 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
I agree, it is a very annoying habit. It bothers me whenever I see someone doing it.

matttrick
Aug 17, 2007, 12:22 PM
i HATE when people do this. ive actually lost out on sex because my wife was showing me lingire and insisted on touching the screen, when i constantly tell her not to. i got very angry and was like how hard is it to just NOT touch the screen? it got to the point where when i was on it and she came near i would just close the case and scowl at her. she has finally stopped but i dont get it. one warning should be enough.

i also now warn anyone who points just in case they are pokers. :mad:

ataylora
Aug 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
Is your wife hot?

notsofatjames
Aug 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
maybe they think you've got the brand new multi touch macbook/imac. I too hate pokers, and you can never get it as clean once its been dirty once.

vicious7
Aug 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
How about a postit note saying "keep hands off screen!" :D

It is annoying when people touch the screen. It's such a pain in the a$$ cleaning the screen all the time.

adrianblaine
Aug 17, 2007, 02:20 PM
It would annoy me as well, but it looks like I'm in the minority here. For some reason I'm always touching my screen. I try not to touch it, but eventually there are always finger prints on it. I've broken myself of touching other people's screens though. My wife and I have two black cats and their hair gets everywhere. Hair on my screen annoys me more than finger smudges.

aphexacid
Aug 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
....brothers! I have found ye!

I thought i was just a psycho. i abso-friggin-lootlee HATE it when people touch my screen. notebooks, tv's, whatever! i dont do it, and i sure as hell dont want to clean the grease off my screen from someone elses paws.

Depending who it is, i tend to snap when this happens. i've tried the pre-emptive , "please dont touch" thing. its only works about 20% of the time though.

Im a lover of glossy screens, and they are a royal PAIN to clean, and those just happen to be the kind everyone wants to smear their 'i just ate a big juicy chesseburger' fingers on.

we need to do something about this.

matttrick
Aug 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
On another note I think that maybe it is a scandal, every fool who only has a Windows PC is just so jealous that they have to damage our Mac's just to try to get up on our level. I know the only people that poke my MBP are Windows users, I have never ad another Mac user poke it.

dodododododododo.......

i know this is sarcastic but this kind of mac superiority mantra is why people think mac users are frigging tools that need to feel like they are in a special club.

Manic Mouse
Aug 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
I think it's kinda funny that everyone thinks they're crazy for being so anal about this, yet we all hate it. It's part of the reason I can't bring myself to shout at people for doing it, they'll just think I'm being a psycho.

These people poke and prod their own screens, so they don't think it would be rude or annoying to do it to someone else's.

If those persons actually damaged your screen, you should have them cough up some money.

Last year I spent £1,100 ($2,200) on a HD TV for my 360 and my friend decided to poke this SUPER expensive screen (and a dead pixel appeared). I fell out with him for like a month, yet he wouldn't even apologise let alone pay any money for damage.

Anyway, the person who did this doesn't have any money (she's a student like me) so there's no point asking money or falling out over it.

I'm just trying to convince myself that the dead pixels have nothing to do with poking and it's just coincidence that I'm noticing them where the screen was poked.

Does anyone know if jabbing a screen CAN cause a dead pixel? I've had these two experiences that say to me that they definitely can, but it would make me feel better if it wasn't the case.

Dublin
Aug 19, 2007, 06:27 PM
I use to have the same problem with my better half poking the screen, but after calling her "Darla" a few times (the dentist's niece in Nemo) she stopped and hasn't since.

EricBrian
Aug 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
I hate it, too... but to get soooo anal about it? Nah. Too much trouble. I just take iKlear and clean it up. Probably needed cleaning any how with all that dust in the air.

aethelbert
Aug 19, 2007, 07:35 PM
The other day my dad wanted to use my macbook (he had never used a mac before) and asked how to get online. I told him "Safari: the icon on the bottom is a blue compass." So then he starts poking the screen at the Safari icon and the screen panel starts swaying back and forth. The sad part is that he has a laptop with a track pad as well...

Nermal
Aug 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
So then he starts poking the screen at the Safari icon

My mum did that too!

jrodatus
Aug 19, 2007, 08:28 PM
Okay someone try this. Have a clear plastic sleeve handy, and at the instant of a potential poke, nonchalantly hold it up to the screen where their finger is directed. Don't say a word, and they should get the message pretty clearly :)

Dizzee
Aug 19, 2007, 10:29 PM
uhg i know.
its one of my biggest pet peaves!

esp since i am a graphic designer i always have people touchnig my screens trying to explain what they want, etc...

Gamoe
Aug 19, 2007, 11:35 PM
I think it's partly because they've used CRTs for so long that they're used to a screen that can be touched without fear of damage.

I think this may be the case for some people. Others, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's more of an instinctive thing.

Not true, glossy screens don't have any glass on them at all. It's merely a different coating than the one applied to matt screens.

I'm not a fan of the glossy screens, but at least Apple did one right thing putting glass over the LCD.

I don't get angry over smudges. All screens need to be cleaned and smudges always go away with proper cleaning. Put the poking does upset me because adults are supposed to be a little more careful and respect others' property instead of poking impulsively at the screen.

I tutor computer classes, and I am tired of telling people not to poke the screens. If the screens get damaged, I'm not responsible for them, but isn't it just common courtesy to respect other's property and not try to damage it?

And, what kind of tutor would I be if I allowed this behavior to go unnoticed? Goodness knows they'll probably try this on their own screen or on another's screen outside the classroom.

I sometimes struggle to find a friendly way to tell people not to poke the screens, though, especially when they continue to do so.

notjustjay
Aug 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
I sometimes struggle to find a friendly way to tell people not to poke the screens, though, especially when they continue to do so.

The truth, no?

LCD screens are essentially liquid chemicals sandwiched between thin glass plates. Very delicate. Not to be touched.

Is that so hard for people to understand?

lucasc896
Aug 20, 2007, 09:10 AM
Why not poke your friend in the eye?

Wayfarer
Aug 20, 2007, 09:26 AM

Will people ever learn?

Haha... my digital graphics teacher would do it all the time. She would poke the poor iMac's screen like there's no tomorrow. :p

whooleytoo
Aug 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
Maybe if you all stopped using desktop pictures like these (http://www.moillusions.com/2006/03/transparent-desktop-trick.html), then people would stop trying to stick their hands through your screens! :p

drake
Aug 20, 2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not a fan of the glossy screens, but at least Apple did one right thing putting glass over the LCD.

Didn't you read what what you were quoting? There is NO Glass!

fr4c
Aug 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
An eye for an eye; literally. If anyone pokes my viewing apparatus (screen), I poke theirs (eyes).

teflon
Aug 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
Didn't you read what what you were quoting? There is NO Glass!

There is no glass over a glossy screen, but Apple did put glass over iMac's LCD.

gr8tfly
Aug 20, 2007, 12:54 PM
So glad to see this thread. I have a proximity sensor (my eyes) that goes to DEFCON 3 when someone gets within 1". DEFCON 2 is declared when the distance gets within 0.5".

You don't want to be around for DEFCON 1.... ;)

AutumnSkyline
Aug 20, 2007, 01:02 PM
I'm a screen poker :D. the only way it would bother me is if I had a glossy screen and I could see the prints, I would probably seize up. But with my iMac, I can only see the prints when it is off/sleeping. And if it is sleeping, I don't care, because that means that I am doing something else.

I don't understand what the big deal is, I don't have dead pixels or anything. I get the occasional stuck, which I fix or noticeable pixel I fix by wetting my finger and you guessed it, rubbing the pixel :)

psycoswimmer
Aug 20, 2007, 01:05 PM
My worst experience with this:

My sister's friend and her were on the iMac, eating Cheetos. I tried to get them off but my mom told me to leave them alone. Then, with all the cheesy-goodness, my sister's friend's hand goes toward the screen. I went ballistic then and they left for a long time. :D

Schtumple
Aug 20, 2007, 01:13 PM
When i was at college some kid stabbed and slashed a G4 imac screen beyond use, he got found out, expelled, kicked out by his parents and now works at mc donalds, i went in there just to laugh :D

Someone poking the screen doesn't seem so bad now does it....

chilipie
Aug 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
When i was at college some kid stabbed and slashed a G4 imac screen beyond use, he got found out, expelled, kicked out by his parents and now works at mc donalds, i went in there just to laugh :D

Revenge is a dish best served... with fries?

:rolleyes:

scaredpoet
Aug 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Part of me wonders if this is only going to get worse as interfaces like the iPhone become more common. Now there are LCD screens you're SUPPOSED to touch, and in fact it's th only way to interact with them.

Obviously, I know the differences in interface between iPhone and Macbook Pro, but will less savvy users be able to control their touch-reflex?

panzer06
Aug 20, 2007, 09:01 PM

Will people ever learn?

I just keep a sharp meat cleaver next to my MBP to lop off the fingers of anyone who attempts to point at (and/or touch) my beautiful glossy display.

Cheers,

KristieMac
Aug 20, 2007, 09:02 PM
I just keep a sharp meat cleaver next to my MBP to lop off the fingers of anyone who attempts to point at (and/or touch) my beautiful glossy display.

Cheers,

I plan to try this. Excellent idea! :p

panzer06
Aug 22, 2007, 06:14 PM
I plan to try this. Excellent idea! :p

Next time I'm visiting the cousins in PA. I'll loan it to you.

Cheers,

vicious7
Aug 22, 2007, 06:18 PM

Cheers,

Wouldn't you get blood on the screen, then? That would be annoying to clean. :D

SonicChronicler
Aug 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
My two nieces used to jab at the screen on any computer in sight.

Repeated visions of me, teeth clenched, growling "It's not a touch screen!" cured them - they now do the same thing to their friends who try and touch their screens

mobi
Aug 22, 2007, 08:01 PM
It is such a relief to know I am not alone:)

yadmonkey
Aug 22, 2007, 08:02 PM
I "LOL'd" just from the title of this thread!

It's a big pet peeve of mine for sure. If nobody else touched my screens, they'd never be touched by anything but dust and air. But every once in a while, somebody just has to make contact when pointing something out and I cringe and/or express my utter disbelief that this problem is so widespread.

I have a client who uses the business end of a blue ball point pen to point something out on her iBook screen, which is covered in scratches and little blue marks. I'd never let her near my laptops.

makismagoo99
Aug 22, 2007, 08:10 PM
OMG one time I witnessed a friend PICK UP his laptop by the screen. He literally squeezed the LCD between thumb and forefinger and lifted the laptop from the table to his lap. It took all my restraint to stop myself from reaching across the table and smacking him.

panzer06
Aug 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't you get blood on the screen, then? That would be annoying to clean. :D

Hmmm, perhaps you are right, very hard to get such a stain out of the keyboard as well. :eek:

Cheers,

panzer06
Aug 22, 2007, 09:45 PM
I "LOL'd" just from the title of this thread!

It's a big pet peeve of mine for sure. If nobody else touched my screens, they'd never be touched by anything but dust and air. But every once in a while, somebody just has to make contact when pointing something out and I cringe and/or express my utter disbelief that this problem is so widespread.

I have a client who uses the business end of a blue ball point pen to point something out on her iBook screen, which is covered in scratches and little blue marks. I'd never let her near my laptops.

I just don't get it either. Today as I sat in a meeting the President of our company walked past, saw my mac (there are only a few in the company and all are personal systems), grabbed the top of my MBP display and vigourously rotated the lid back and forth. :eek: I was so shocked I couldn't speak. When I recovered all I could think was I'm glad his thumbs only touched the lid and camera and not my perfect glossy screen. :(

I can only think people are ok with this sort of nonsense because they don't own a Mac or any other expensive gear that they take care of and have no regard for other's property. (though his Mercedes always seems very shiny)

Cheers,

PS: Being away from my desk I was unable to avail myself of the aformentioned cleaver...

Darkenvamp
Aug 23, 2007, 12:02 AM
yah i hate that behavior >_> ..
my dad keep on touching my screen...he says it helps him focus when reading a document O_O

Darkenvamp
Aug 23, 2007, 12:06 AM
OMG one time I witnessed a friend PICK UP his laptop by the screen. He literally squeezed the LCD between thumb and forefinger and lifted the laptop from the table to his lap. It took all my restraint to stop myself from reaching across the table and smacking him.

OH MY!!
if someone did that to my new spoiled macbook pro i would cut his neck off and make deep cuts in his ass O_O

ghall
Aug 23, 2007, 12:07 AM
OH MY!!
if someone did that to my new spoiled macbook pro i would cut his neck off and make deep cuts in his ass O_O

Um..ow. :o

Darkenvamp
Aug 23, 2007, 12:34 AM
Um..ow. :o

it sounded so tragedy huh:D...lol

notjustjay
Aug 23, 2007, 01:42 PM
Repeated visions of me, teeth clenched, growling "It's not a touch screen!" cured them - they now do the same thing to their friends who try and touch their screens

Haha. I actually had an experience like that. I'm developing software for a military system (classified, sorry) that uses a touch-screen control interface. The testers have actual touch-screen monitors, they run the software, poke away at the controls, and report bugs. I develop on a standard dual monitor workstation.

Well, one day a tester came up to me with a question about the software behaviour. I called up the system so he could show me. I thought he knew that I didn't have a touch screen unit (they're special monitors that sit low to the table, not like my standard Dell LCD). Apparently I was wrong.

Him: "OK, so when I do this..." *JAB*
Me: "Yikes!!!"

Doctor Q
Aug 23, 2007, 05:57 PM
I guess we don't need a thread to complain about people touching our iPhones!