PDA

View Full Version : Bumper scratching stainless steel frame

Bobajobbob
Jul 29, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hi, i've been using a bumper for a few weeks now and having taken it off today I noticed a number of scratches and marks on the steel frame. Specifically just to the left of the headphone jack. Its not a big deal but it does appear that fluff and dust gets caught between the bumper and the frame and over time will mark the steel of the phone frame.

If you use one I recommend taking it off and clearing out any gubbins from time to time to reduce this effect.

1 Cor. 15:26
Jul 29, 2010, 09:56 AM
I suggest getting a shield for the sides if youre going to use a bumper. I have the BSE back and sides shields on. Im quite happy with my bumper in that regard. No scratching from my bumper to the steel as of yet.

Or, as you said, clean it often.

Moon§hiner
Jul 29, 2010, 09:59 AM
Good thing the bumper covers up the scratches.

malnar
Jul 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Any case will do this. It's not just the Apple bumper. Surround one thing with another, sprinkle in something abrasive, and let it grind around in there for a while and you're going to find some wear.

Take the bumper off every few days, buff the metal band with a soft, clean cloth, clean out the inside of the bumper. It'll never be completely free of wear, but that will help.

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
If you want to use a case and be scratch free, cover it with a film first then put on a case/bumper.

Block
Jul 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
Are you sure there isn't anything in between (dust, dirt etc.)? It must be pretty strong plastic to scratch steel. :confused:

Try wiping it, it might be residuals of the rubber/plastic that have just rubbed off onto the band.

kyleb822
Jul 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
i've got my bumper on and I don't have any scratches on my metal band

Jul 29, 2010, 10:32 AM
i've got my bumper on and I don't have any scratches on my metal band
How often do you take off the bumper and clean the phone and inside of the bumper? Is the phone naked sans the bumper?

Craiger
Jul 29, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi, i've been using a bumper for a few weeks now and having taken it off today I noticed a number of scratches and marks on the steel frame. Specifically just to the left of the headphone jack. Its not a big deal but it does appear that fluff and dust gets caught between the bumper and the frame and over time will mark the steel of the phone frame.

If you use one I recommend taking it off and clearing out any gubbins from time to time to reduce this effect.

Is it scratching the glass too? front or back? I haven't gotten my hands on a bumper yet so I can't tell how much if it all it touches the glass. I am getting a film set for mine before I put on a bumper and am trying to decide between full body or just the sides or back.

Jul 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
Is it scratching the glass too? front or back? I haven't gotten my hands on a bumper yet so I can't tell how much if it all it touches the glass. I am getting a film set for mine before I put on a bumper and am trying to decide between full body or just the sides or back.

FWIW, I have back and sides protection from BSE, no protection on front screen, with a bumper, and Ive noticed no scratching on the phone.

frikfrak
Jul 29, 2010, 12:17 PM
I too had what i thought were scratches, or marks, probably from the bumper. But they didn't feel like a scratch. So I tried Wrights Silver Polish (similar to Brasso I think) - the label says it works on stainless steel - and voila, removed every mark. Dip a Q-tip in the polish and carefully rub just the marks on the antenna band and they disappeared.

Block
Jul 29, 2010, 12:22 PM
I too had what i thought were scratches, or marks, probably from the bumper. But they didn't feel like a scratch. So I tried Wrights Silver Polish (similar to Brasso I think) - the label says it works on stainless steel - and voila, removed every mark. Dip a Q-tip in the polish and carefully rub just the marks on the antenna band and they disappeared.

When you polish your band, you are actually abrasively removing pieces of the the metal around the scratch, and by making it smooth it gives the appearance that there are no scratches.

rkz
Jul 29, 2010, 01:29 PM
I now have an iPhone 4, but when I had the 3Gs an incase case produced deep scratches! So its the least of my worries! :)

phillydude411
Jul 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
Anyone know if otterbox defender scratches the steel or back?

ngrimes-2010
Jul 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone know if otterbox defender scratches the steel or back?

No but it turns your beautiful ip4 into a touchscreen brick :p

liamkp
Jul 29, 2010, 02:59 PM
No but it turns your beautiful ip4 into a touchscreen brick :p
Speaking of touchscreen brick, do the make a defender for the iP4?

Bobajobbob
Jul 30, 2010, 03:31 AM

No marks on glass at all. Bumper is doing its job and is a pretty good compromise on form and function though every time I take it off I appreciate the naked form of the phone more. With the bumper on it feels much more like a 3GS.

I should probably take the bumper off more often to clean it out and remove abrasive much but frankly life is too short.