PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Apple to change its name?

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2004, 09:41 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Is it time for Apple to change its name? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041118224142)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

autrefois
Nov 18, 2004, 11:14 PM
Um, perhaps silicon.com hasn't heard of Apple Computer's legal woes with Apple Corps. Apple Computer becoming just Apple would no doubt just make things worse.

phreakout13
Nov 18, 2004, 11:23 PM
Didn't it become just "Apple" in 1998?

Sun Baked
Nov 18, 2004, 11:31 PM
Didn't it become just "Apple" in 1998?They changed how they talk about themselves in the press releases and all advertising to Apple.

They are still "officially" Apple Computer, Inc. trading under the symbol AAPL.

mattroberts
Nov 18, 2004, 11:45 PM
maybe just call the company Macintosh Computers or just plain Macintosh.

no more Beatles issues. Which are just plain silly in my opinion.

sord
Nov 19, 2004, 12:25 AM

no more Beatles issues. Which are just plain silly in my opinion.
And what does a Macintosh look like? They would lose their Apple logo and could suffer substancially as everyone knows them as Apple. Reminds me of when Rebock changed their name, they almost went out of business.

jackieonasses
Nov 19, 2004, 12:40 AM
And what does a Macintosh look like? They would lose their Apple logo and could suffer substancially as everyone knows them as Apple. Reminds me of when Rebock changed their name, they almost went out of business. what did rebock change there names too?

dejo
Nov 19, 2004, 01:09 AM
Reminds me of when Rebock changed their name, they almost went out of business.

Do you mean Reebok?

painimies
Nov 19, 2004, 02:20 AM
And what does a Macintosh look like?

An apple.

billyboy
Nov 19, 2004, 08:11 AM
The name Apple is synonymous with the company that makes a minority designer computers and now iPod. Sorry to state the obvious but when it comes to a brand, it's all about the name and I should think that they (whoever they are) need to keep the Apple name just like it is.

Stella
Nov 19, 2004, 08:43 AM
If it works, don't fix it.

apple works.

J-Squire
Nov 19, 2004, 09:10 AM
An apple.
Exactly. They wouldnt have to change their logo at all, because a macintosh is a type of apple

shamino
Nov 19, 2004, 10:12 AM
And then get sued by McIntosh Labs (http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/), makers of high-end audio gear.

wdlove
Nov 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
The idea isn't as radical as I first thought. It is mostly known as Apple already.

Jerry Spoon
Nov 19, 2004, 11:46 AM
I'm sure this has been thought of, and I'm sure, because of potential legal problems, it was dismissed just as quickly.

JeffTL
Nov 21, 2004, 01:16 PM
I only see Apple Computer in four contexts:

(1) Stock certificates and annual reports
(2) Some news
(3) To distinguish from Apple Records when context does not
(4) In acronymic form (ACI) on shipping labels, though that seems to be a relatively recent change -- probably so less people get wood blocks instead of iPods.

Elsewhere, it's already just Apple.