PDA

View Full Version : Gates gets 4 Million Emails a day, Mostly Spam.

MacBytes
Nov 18, 2004, 09:41 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Gates gets 4 Million Emails a day, Mostly Spam. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041118224156)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jackieonasses
Nov 18, 2004, 09:46 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Gates gets 4 Million Emails a day, Mostly Spam. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041118224156)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug short article, I wonder how much Steve Jobs is spammed?

Photorun
Nov 18, 2004, 09:56 PM
No wonder the bugger doesn't answer my request to go throw himself off a cliff handcuffed to Apeboy (Ballmer).

jimsowden
Nov 18, 2004, 11:29 PM
Nice of them to create spam filtering for themelfs then not do anything with it. Either one of 2 things:
1.It sucks and they are lying about how well it works (Why haven' they released it then?)
2.They got nothing.

Apple Hobo
Nov 18, 2004, 11:36 PM
I like the article link name from CNN: For Bill Gates, it's spam, spam, spam, spam

And for Ballmer, it's developers, developers, developers, developers...sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

I wonder why CNN felt it was necessary to post Monkey Boy's e-mail address, steveb@microsoft.com. ;)

dotnina
Nov 19, 2004, 12:22 AM
Nice of them to create spam filtering for themelfs then not do anything with it. Either one of 2 things:
1.It sucks and they are lying about how well it works (Why haven' they released it then?)
2.They got nothing.

That's exactly what I thought as I read the article ...

They didn't specify exactly how much Steve Ballmer (that's steveb@microsoft.com -- yes, steveb@microsoft.com :p) gets spammed, but apparently only 10 pieces of spam get through their superamazing filter? I imagine he gets thousands of pieces of spam per day ... it's hard to believe only 10 things would get through.

MacBandit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:44 AM
Oh yes they have a great spam filter they mention it a few times throughout the article. It's called a room filled with people dedicated to filtering out their spam. The reason this great technology isn't available to the common public is simply money. You too could have a full time person filtering your email all you have to do is have enough money.

Makes you wonder how much money they waste because their own companies software sucks so bad they don't have an alternative without turning to a competitors software.

requies
Nov 19, 2004, 01:09 AM
so that's how he got his bright idea...

if any of you will recall that earlier this year gates proposed a small charge for every email sent to try to curtail spam. i can just imagine the thoughts going through his head... "if i had a nickle for every spam i got".

dejo
Nov 19, 2004, 01:36 AM
Ballmer said Microsoft has special technology that just filters spam intended for Gates.

"Literally there's a whole department almost that takes care of it," he said.

So, "special technology" = "whole department almost"?

That's pretty scary...

kettle
Nov 19, 2004, 02:52 AM
No wonder the bugger doesn't answer my request to go throw himself off a cliff handcuffed to Apeboy (Ballmer).

Thankyou, first laugh out loud of the day. I love Macrumors. :D

kerb
Nov 19, 2004, 07:08 AM
"There are two people who probably are the number one spam recipients in the world," Steve Ballmer said.

:confused:

Chappers
Nov 19, 2004, 07:57 AM
"There are two people who probably are the number one spam recipients in the world," Steve Ballmer said.

:confused:

A draw then.

iGary
Nov 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
I really used to admire those people at Microsoft.

Then someone showed me a Mac.

I realy do hate Ballmer and Bill.

Although Bill does own quite a bit of Apple stock.

Savage Henry
Nov 19, 2004, 08:49 AM
Ballmer said only about 10 junk e-mails make it through to his inbox each day because of Microsoft's anti-spam technology

A ha HHAA AHHHAAAA

I knew there had to be a sales pitch in the article. Only 10 out of several million a day ??? Get out of here monkey man. The anti-spam technology boils down to being rich enough to employ an army of people to read your emails before you.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 19, 2004, 08:49 AM
I don't know if its special tech that allows only a few to get through....

I imagine there is someone who's job it is to go through and filter out the spam....low tech then...

That, or update a master list of *who* can email Bill and Steve - if you're not on the list, sorry, you don't pass....

D

MacBandit
Nov 19, 2004, 09:10 AM
I don't know if its special tech that allows only a few to get through....

I imagine there is someone who's job it is to go through and filter out the spam....low tech then...

That, or update a master list of *who* can email Bill and Steve - if you're not on the list, sorry, you don't pass....

D

In my opinion the article explains clearly that it's a department of at least 2 people that sieve through all their email.

emw
Nov 19, 2004, 09:15 AM

That's probably more like it. Before our IT department finally implemented a spam filter, I'd get over 300 spam mails per day at work (vs. about 3 a week at home through .mac). But I made my own spam filters to essentially only let through who I allowed, vs. trying to specifically filter the bad ones.

As a result, all the bad ones were sent away. Unfortunately, now and then a "good" one would get tossed too.

shamino
Nov 19, 2004, 10:39 AM
FWIW, I receive about 200 spams per day. Most are caught by my employer's server-based filter, and Yahoo's filter. Of the reset, most are caught by Firefox's filter (which reads all the spams caught by the corporate and Yahoo filters for the purpose of training itself.)

Of those 200/day, about 5-10 don't get filtered.

In general, it's easier to filter on a corporate/ISP server than an individual mailbox. You can take advantage of the fact that spammers flood their junk to everybody, not just one individual. You can therefore set up scoring rules like "if the same message is delivered to more than 30% of my mailboxes, increase the spam-likelihood by 30%".

With server-based filtering, you can also block mail at the protocol level based on things like lists of known open-relay systems. It's easy to do this on the mail server (just reject connections from some IP addresses) but it's ugly to do once the mail has been delivered (you now have to parse a stack of Received: headers and hope the information you need is accurately represented in them.)

Finally, when you've got a mailbox like Gate's the job becomes even easier. Bayesian filters get more and more accurate as the size of their database increases. The more mail you receive (assuming you correctly tag each message as spam/not-spam) the more accurate it gets. With 4 million message a day, it can become very accurate very fast.

Of course, training those filters requires someone to review all 4 million messages. Initially so it can learn what spam is and later to catch false-positives (which always slip through from time to time.) This is where a room full of interns becomes useful :) .

Sharewaredemon
Nov 19, 2004, 11:15 AM
What's Bill's email anyway?
I want to email him.
Tell him somethings I like about windows.

Mainyehc
Nov 19, 2004, 03:38 PM
Guys, I don't get it... I honestly haven't seen a pop-up since Dec. 1 2003, when I started using my old iMac G4... until today!! It appeared both in Firefox and Safari, when loading this article... Wtf is going on here? Weren't these two great browsers supposed to fully block pop-ups? I don't know if they guarantee *full* pop-up blocking, but I think that 11 months of pop-up free browsing almost speak for themselves... :eek:
Anyone else getting this pop-ups too? (assuming you guys here know what a pop-up is :D LOL)

MacBandit
Nov 20, 2004, 12:32 AM
Guys, I don't get it... I honestly haven't seen a pop-up since Dec. 1 2003, when I started using my old iMac G4... until today!! It appeared both in Firefox and Safari, when loading this article... Wtf is going on here? Weren't these two great browsers supposed to fully block pop-ups? I don't know if they guarantee *full* pop-up blocking, but I think that 11 months of pop-up free browsing almost speak for themselves... :eek:
Anyone else getting this pop-ups too? (assuming you guys here know what a pop-up is :D LOL)

Nope no pop-up. In Safari click on the Safari menu and make sure that the pop-up block features is checked. I've had it turn off on my after updates in the past.

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2004, 02:16 AM
You can calculate the daily cost of those 10 spams that reach Bill Gates. It would be something like this: the number of seconds it takes him to spot and delete each e-mail (say 3) times the number of e-mails (10) times the average earnings he makes per second ($50 by one estimate). I'll pick some round numbers:

3 x 10 x $50 = $1,500 per day

So for $1,500 per day, he should hire somebody to look for those 10 other spams. Anybody want the job?

Mainyehc
Nov 20, 2004, 08:08 AM
Nope no pop-up. In Safari click on the Safari menu and make sure that the pop-up block features is checked. I've had it turn off on my after updates in the past.

Hmmm... this is too weird for me... I just rebooted, and the pop-ups ceased to appear. I even got a pop-up from AppleInsider!!! I'm glad it's (apparently) all over now...

I wonder what screwed the popup blocking, in both browsers, at the same time...

MacBandit
Nov 20, 2004, 09:03 AM
You can calculate the daily cost of those 10 spams that reach Bill Gates. It would be something like this: the number of seconds it takes him to spot and delete each e-mail (say 3) times the number of e-mails (10) times the average earnings he makes per second ($50 by one estimate). I'll pick some round numbers:

3 x 10 x $50 = $1,500 per day

So for $1,500 per day, he should hire somebody to look for those 10 other spams. Anybody want the job?

You're saying it takes him 3 hours to spot each spam email? He's slower then I thought he was.

You're error is that you have $50/hour while you have a multiplier of 3seconds. You need to convert one to a like amount of time so say $50/hour = $.0139/second. So the calculation should look like this.

3 x 10 x $.0139 = $.417 per day.

So if it takes him 3 seconds an email to determine it's spam and he gets 10 per day then it costs him 41.7 cents.

wdlove
Nov 20, 2004, 11:17 AM
That is amazing that Bill Gates would have the need of a department to filter his E.Mail. It just goes to show that he puts his pants on just like the rest of us, so to speak with his Spam. :D

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2004, 12:42 PM
You're saying it takes him 3 hours to spot each spam email?I said 3 seconds. I figured 2 seconds to recognize it as spam, 1 second to click Delete.

You're error is that you have $50/hour while you have a multiplier of 3seconds.I said $50/second, not $50/hour.

I was up late when I typed that post, but I think it is actually correct.

MacBandit
Nov 20, 2004, 05:05 PM
I said 3 seconds. I figured 2 seconds to recognize it as spam, 1 second to click Delete.

I said $50/second, not $50/hour.

I was up late when I typed that post, but I think it is actually correct.

Hey no issue I was up early after a very short night of sleep. Thought I was being smart but prooved myslef wrong. :rolleyes: :D

MacBandit
Nov 20, 2004, 05:06 PM
That is amazing that Bill Gates would have the need of a department to filter his E.Mail. It just goes to show that he puts his pants on just like the rest of us, so to speak with his Spam. :D

The difference is he can pay a department full of people to put his pants on for him. :eek: