PDA

View Full Version : No more fake errr... I mean US Budweiser in the EU

AhmedFaisal
Jul 29, 2010, 01:33 PM
-

yg17
Jul 29, 2010, 01:38 PM
Deer piss? No, it's clydesdale piss. When a company makes such a horrible product and features an animal so prominently in its advertising, it makes you wonder ;)

JonR356
Jul 29, 2010, 02:17 PM
Sensible decision this really, long established names shouldn't be dropped to satisfy a newer but larger corporation.

I enjoy both beers (to different degrees) to be honest so I wouldn't drag taste into this

jimsowden
Jul 29, 2010, 03:34 PM
Wait, nerds, being beer snobs? No way.

Consultant
Jul 29, 2010, 03:40 PM
Wait, nerds, being beer snobs? No way.

Researching to see how best to get apple engineers drunk perhaps?

Jaro65
Jul 29, 2010, 03:46 PM
Oh good! Finally! I used to enjoy drinking Budvar, Plzen, etc. and I wasn't thrilled when I moved to the US that Anheuser-Busch would be able to market the lemonade under the same brand. Cheers!

steve2112
Jul 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
Oh good! Finally! I used to enjoy drinking Budvar, Plzen, etc. and I wasn't thrilled when I moved to the US that Anheuser-Busch would be able to market the lemonade under the same brand. Cheers!

Sadly, I remember reading an article a while back that said the number one import beer in the U.K. was...Budweiser. Not the Czech version, but the Anheuser-Busch version. There also stats showing how much their sales were going up, while sales of Guinness were down all around the U.K. It was very depressing. All those lovely beers to import from their own back yard, and Budweiser is the number one import? I haven't seen any numbers on the rest of the EU, though.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 29, 2010, 07:02 PM
I've smelled Clydesdale piss and I have to say that it smells better than Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser beer... Really... :D

ravenvii
Jul 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
Sadly, I remember reading an article a while back that said the number one import beer in the U.K. was...Budweiser. Not the Czech version, but the Anheuser-Busch version. There also stats showing how much their sales were going up, while sales of Guinness were down all around the U.K. It was very depressing. All those lovely beers to import from their own back yard, and Budweiser is the number one import? I haven't seen any numbers on the rest of the EU, though.

I... don't understand.

steve2112
Jul 29, 2010, 10:19 PM
I... don't understand.

I don't get it either. Like I said, all those lovely beers just across the Channel they can import, yet BUDWEISER is the number one selling import? Maybe it's the U.K. version of hipsters being ironic by drinking crappy American beer?

I could only find this article (http://www.thepublican.com/story.asp?storycode=66969) discussing their growth in the UK.

Ttownbeast
Jul 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Budweiser is basically a light rice wine with hops as bittering agents which is better served cold than hot unlike like traditional rice wines such as sake. I doubt it even fits into the lager category but it has been sold as beer traditionally for a long time here. I haven't had a Bud in a few years myself nor do I miss it all that much.

I prefer it's cheaper cousin from the same corporation Busch--there is less hangover. When I go for domestics in the wide range of alcoholic beverages of low gravity I have two preferences those two are Yeunling and Henry's otherwise a nice Scmhidts hits the spot on a warm summer evening. For Imports I like having my Guiness with a scoop of Breyers Ice cream in a float, my Fosters alone, my Angostrua with seafood, my Golsh with any kind of Wurst sausage...pairing is damned important.

cantthinkofone
Jul 30, 2010, 07:59 AM
Beer snobs? Really? :p

Queso
Jul 30, 2010, 08:07 AM
If you look at the #1 in all sorts of areas in the UK they are rarely the best. Budweiser, The Sun newspaper, Tesco, Microsoft, Dan Brown novels, ITV1. There's a large section of the British public that are quite prepared to settle for average or worse these days. The national spirit of the past, which forged the industrial revolution and led to the largest empire ever seen, has long dissipated.

steviem
Jul 30, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hmm,

maybe this is because a lot of the 'foreign' beers we get are usually brewed here too.

Although, by sheer numbers, our supermarkets seem to carry the likes of Carling, Carlsberg, Stella and Bud in really high quantities.

Another thing is Budweiser's advertising is still up from the World Cup and I think they are trying to get more presence in sports advertising here.

But yeah, the empire we built upon slavery and bullying is long dead...

Queso
Jul 30, 2010, 08:31 AM
But yeah, the empire we built upon slavery and bullying is long dead...
And good riddance to it. However you can't argue that our desire to achieve and excel seems to have taken a severe knock back over the past few decades.

GoCubsGo
Jul 30, 2010, 08:33 AM
I wish they would do away with it in the US.

yg17
Jul 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
Beer snobs? Really? :p

Really :p

The smaller microbreweries are better than the big ones. I'll take Boulevard or Schlafly (or Spotted Cow when I can get my hands on it, which isn't often enough) over Budweiser or Coors any day, and I'd take toilet water over Natty Light.

diamond.g
Jul 30, 2010, 10:19 AM
Don't even get me started on Natty Light. I went to Notre Dame for my MBA and lived in what was probably the No. 1 Party Complex off campus. You had apartments with Mercedes, Hummer and BMW cars parked out front and what was in the kegs of these cheap bastards? Natty Light. Are you friggin serious?! Not even Bud or Miller Light, or maybe even Coors, but noooo... Natty..... unbelievable. It was no surprise that we had people hang out at our place to the point where we had to kick people out if they weren't willing to contribute to the beer fund because we had Blue Moon in ours.

Mind you, Blue Moon isn't the greatest but it does the job for a Keg Party and is tons better than Natty or any of the big 3 for that matter. For our own drinking desires of the selected few, we always had a second Keg stowed in one of our rooms with Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. It still shocks me to this day that I was able to get a hold of it in the middle of Indiana of all places and even more shocking was able to get it on tab in two bars, one on campus and the other in an Irish Pub in South Bend. To give you some perspective, Weihenstephan is a brewery outside of Munich and you can't even get their beer in quite a number of bars and restaurants in Munich. To find it in this hole in the world that is South Bend was a delightful surprise for me, and made the experience so much more bearable... (if you go to ND, go as an Undergrad, because as a Grad, the girls in the Grad programs are either nerds in a bad way or husband shopping and the Undergrad girls think you are a dirty old man....)
Cheers,

Ahmed
A lot of my friends love Natty Light because it is cheap... I don't get it. But then again I was a Guinness Man myself. Very very few of my friends liked it, which meant more for me!

Antares
Jul 30, 2010, 12:15 PM
When I drink beer at regular price, I always go for the "better" beers. However, when "cheap" beers are in order, I go for Pabst Blue Ribbon rather than Miller or Bud. My cheap beer in college was Hams.

QuantumLo0p
Jul 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
The smaller microbreweries are better than the big ones. I'll take Boulevard or Schlafly (or Spotted Cow when I can get my hands on it, which isn't often enough) over Budweiser or Coors any day, and I'd take toilet water over Natty Light.

I assume you are enjoying a New Glarus Spotted Cow while visiting Wisconsin. It is difficult to find outside their border because they don't distribute out of Wisconsin. I like Spotted Cow but New Glarus also offers some other quite tasty brews as well.

I had my first New Glarus brew when I started doing annual trisp to Road America to see the AMA Superbike races. However, I now live near the Sconi border and it's an easy trip to get it.

I always drink, what I consider good beer IMO, but when micro is not available and I have to drink a macro beer, I usually go for a Grain Belt Primo.

leekohler
Jul 30, 2010, 12:49 PM
All beer sucks. That beer has been dressing itself up like wine for the last few decades or so is hysterical. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. IMO, there's no difference between Budweiser and Chimay, except that Chimay manages to be even more disgusting. Don't even get me started on crap like Guinness. And before anyone says anything, I used to work in good restaurants for 20 years, I've had just about every beer you can think of- all of them are nasty. Beer is the only beverage that tastes even worse the more you pay. Hey- I tried it. :p:p:p:p

Beer is easily the worst alcoholic beverage on the face of the planet, right next to grappa.

yg17
Jul 30, 2010, 12:54 PM
I assume you are enjoying a New Glarus Spotted Cow while visiting Wisconsin. It is difficult to find outside their border because they don't distribute out of Wisconsin. I like Spotted Cow but New Glarus also offers some other quite tasty brews as well.

I had my first New Glarus brew when I started doing annual trisp to Road America to see the AMA Superbike races. However, I now live near the Sconi border and it's an easy trip to get it.

I always drink, what I consider good beer IMO, but when micro is not available and I have to drink a macro beer, I usually go for a Grain Belt Primo.

Yeah, I tried Spotted Cow when I was in Madison a few years back and loved it. One of my co-workers has family in WI that he goes to visit every now and then and he brought be back a 6 pack last time. I wish they distributed it in MO.

cantthinkofone
Jul 30, 2010, 01:46 PM
Really :p

Natty light is reserved for high-school parties and frat houses on a budget. ;)

Statik
Jul 30, 2010, 02:22 PM
We were in Ireland last year and shocked at how much advertising there was for Bud. The story of it being so popular in Ireland was that Budweiser was advertising the heck out of it and trying to paint Guinness as an "old man's beer" and Budweiser as the hip, young, sporty drink.

As for not liking beers? tsk tsk... It just means you haven't tried the right one.

Personally, I wouldn't serve Bud to my worst enemy. Then again, I'm spoiled. My local beer store stocks 800+ brews from around the world. I've had some amazing ones (Alley Kat - Kilt Lifter is a fave from my home town) and some horrible ones (A brew we had while vacationing in Botswana that I'm glad I can't remember the name of)

allmIne
Jul 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
All beer sucks. That beer has been dressing itself up like wine for the last few decades or so is hysterical. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. IMO, there's no difference between Budweiser and Chimay, except that Chimay manages to be even more disgusting. Don't even get me started on crap like Guinness. And before anyone says anything, I used to work in good restaurants for 20 years, I've had just about every beer you can think of- all of them are nasty. Beer is the only beverage that tastes even worse the more you pay. Hey- I tried it. :p:p:p:p

Beer is easily the worst alcoholic beverage on the face of the planet, right next to grappa.

So working in a restaurant makes an opinion like this valid?

Pretty close minded view, imo. Oh, and Guinness isn't beer, as alluded to earlier in the thread,

:)

Jaffa Cake
Jul 30, 2010, 02:44 PM
Btw. technically Guinness isn't a beer according to German standards because they don't have a pure yeast based fermentation but a lacto-bacillus "tainted" fermentation, hence the bitter taste and texture.Different countries have different opinions, of course, and the German Purity Laws represent only one standard – although the Laws these days are little more than a marketing gimmick. We all have different approaches to brewing, be it Germanic-style lagers or porters and stouts such as Guinness, and that's no bad thing at all. Until we get to Anheuser Busch's potion, of course. :D

I like a nice pale ale, myself. I don't drink wine or spirits.

Oh, and Guinness isn't beer, as alluded to earlier in the threadIt's a stout, a type of dark beer.

leekohler
Jul 30, 2010, 02:48 PM
That is a personal preference lee. And despite your opinion there are major differences in quality, taste and process. Btw. technically Guinness isn't a beer according to German standards because they don't have a pure yeast based fermentation but a lacto-bacillus "tainted" fermentation, hence the bitter taste and texture. I had some very interesting discussions with friends in Munich who have brewing degrees and work at some of the major German breweries on this very topic.

Oh definitely. I know they vary greatly. Like I said, the more you pay, the worse it tastes. :) Of course it's a matter of taste. But beer? I simply do not understand why anyone would put that in their mouth. It tastes moldy and gross, and smells like dirty feet. :D

So working in a restaurant makes an opinion like this valid?

No-having tried a ton of different beers because I worked in restaurants does. ;) It's a requirement of the job to know your product. In any good restaurant I worked in, we were required to attend tastings for absolutely everything.

rhett7660
Jul 30, 2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/337100,fight-register-budweiser-eu.html

I am glad that at least in Europe this travesty daring to call itself beer will not be allowed to sully the name of Budweis. The true, real Budweiser (Budweiser Budvar Brewery) is actually a very tasty Lager unlike that deer piss Anheuser Busch sells in the US, which under the rules of the bavarian purity manifest isn't even beer at all.
Awesome.
Cheers,

Ahmed

Ugh, has to be one of the worst beers out there.

Now now... this sounds more like a personel preference then fact. I can say the same about whiskey or scotch. Don't like the taste. I can say I have grown more custom to the darker beers. And comparing Budweiser which is a lager to Chimay which is a belgium ale is trully disrespectiful to the beer gods! :D

There are sooooo many different type of beers out there also. Just like there is of other types of alcohol.

Queso
Jul 30, 2010, 02:55 PM

Babycham for Kohler!!

leekohler
Jul 30, 2010, 03:08 PM
Ugh, has to be one of the worst beers out there.

Now now... this sounds more like a personel preference then fact. I can say the same about whiskey or scotch. Don't like the taste. I can say I have grown more custom to the darker beers. And comparing Budweiser which is a lager to Chimay which is a belgium ale is trully disrespectiful to the beer gods! :D

There are sooooo many different type of beers out there also. Just like there is of other types of alcohol.

Oh- it's definitely a matter of personal preference. Like I said, the "better" it supposedly is, the nastier it tastes to me. :)

People used to always tell me- "You've just never had good beer before". Oh please- yes, I have. Then I'd start listing the "good" beers I'd had. They'd say- "Wow- yeah, you don't like beer." ;)

Babycham for Kohler!!

What the hell is that? :)

Jaffa Cake
Jul 30, 2010, 03:11 PM
What the hell is that? :)Lee – you may think that you've tried nice wines and spirits and stuff in the past... but trust me and Queso, nothing sparkles like a Babycham. :)

leekohler
Jul 30, 2010, 03:34 PM
Lee – you may think that you've tried nice wines and spirits and stuff in the past... but trust me and Queso, nothing sparkles like a Babycham. :)

Oh god...I'm scared. I'll go look it up. :eek: :)

EDIT- OH DEAR GOD. That sounds awful!

leekohler
Jul 30, 2010, 04:04 PM
Now now, calling Budweiser a beer is a stretch as it is and calling it a lager is an insult to any properly brewed lager out there. Like someone else in this thread stated before it's a cheap diluted ricewine with hops added for something pretending to be taste. As for Chimay, never had it but if it is in the same range of products as that .... stuff.... from Anheusser operates in, it probably isn't a belgium ale either.....
Cheers,

Ahmed

Chimay is made by Belgian monks. I used it as an example precisely because it is not nearly in the same range as Budweiser. ;)

Kebabselector
Jul 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
I do try to avoid bottles of bud, only as a last resort if that's all the event has. As for number 1 import, It probably is as most 'import' beers are brewed in the UK under licence anyway (probably by Interbrew).

As for me I do like my Guinness, in fact a couple of nice pints the other night. After that went to old hooky. Not had that for years, quite an enjoyable pint.

Counterfit
Jul 30, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hey! There's no need to sully the name of lemonade here!
Personally, I wouldn't serve Bud to my worst enemy.
I would. I think it would pair well with chili made out of his parents.
It tastes moldy and gross, and smells like dirty feet.

Having read this, I don't think I'll ever follow a food or beverage recommendation from you.

Unless it involves hot dogs.

BanjoBanker
Jul 30, 2010, 11:19 PM
I get a kick out of reading these types of forums. The "my import is so much better than your domestic" types are really just a bunch of poseurs. Several years ago I owned a bar and I had a standing bet that no one could pick their brand out of a six glass line up. I had to pay a guy once, but I think he got a lucky guess, 1 out of 6, the odds are that someone will guess correctly. To me, beer is beer. Golf and hanging out at the lake are about the only time I drink beer anyway. My drink of choice is whiskey, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Sippin whiskey neat to be specific. Anyone who mixes good whiskey with ANYTHING should be put to death on the spot. Mix with blends, not the good stuff. And for those of you who don't know, Jack Daniel's IS NOT BOURBON. Never has been, never will be. So all you folks quit calling it bourbon.:cool:

Queso
Jul 31, 2010, 03:08 AM
Whilst you're right that many of us would struggle picking out our favourite beer brands from a line up it would be easy to spot the one that doesn't actually taste of beer at all, namely Budweiser.

bartelby
Jul 31, 2010, 03:26 AM
To me, beer is beer. Golf and hanging out at the lake are about the only time I drink beer anyway. My drink of choice is whiskey, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Sippin whiskey neat to be specific.

And I bet you couldn't pick that out of a line up with similar whiskies.

eawmp1
Jul 31, 2010, 03:30 AM
I don't often drink beer...but when I do, it's NOT Budweiser.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

rhett7660
Jul 31, 2010, 09:46 AM
Now now, calling Budweiser a beer is a stretch as it is and calling it a lager is an insult to any properly brewed lager out there. Like someone else in this thread stated before it's a cheap diluted ricewine with hops added for something pretending to be taste. As for Chimay, never had it but if it is in the same range of products as that .... stuff.... from Anheusser operates in, it probably isn't a belgium ale either.....
Cheers,

Ahmed

Oh I agree... I merely saying it for the sake of saying it since it was being discussed that is all. Couldn't agree more!

Ttownbeast
Jul 31, 2010, 11:05 AM
Cheers,

Ahmed

I think Busch is actually the better of their two main products.

leekohler
Jul 31, 2010, 11:51 AM
Having read this, I don't think I'll ever follow a food or beverage recommendation from you.

Unless it involves hot dogs.

Haha! Oh come on now. Just because I don't like beer? :)

Counterfit
Aug 1, 2010, 03:19 AM
No, because you said it tastes moldy, and smells like feet. While I admit some beers smell nasty (Yes you, gueuze,) I've thankfully never found one that smells like my feet.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 1, 2010, 03:49 AM
Beer doesn't smell like feet. However, my feet do smell like beer.

Mal67
Aug 1, 2010, 06:57 AM

I tried a Budweiser once. I won't be trying one again.

steve2112
Aug 1, 2010, 06:58 AM
No, because you said it tastes moldy, and smells like feet. While I admit some beers smell nasty (Yes you, gueuze,) I've thankfully never found one that smells like my feet.

You have obviously never had a Newcastle that has gone skunky. I love Newcastle, but I hate those clear bottles.

philbeeney
Aug 1, 2010, 09:31 PM

A classic beer reference with a twist. Very good. :D

leekohler
Aug 1, 2010, 10:04 PM
Beer doesn't smell like feet. However, my feet do smell like beer.

I do believe that. :)

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2010, 12:25 AM
US-made Budwesier is foul. Though, America does not have a monopoly on horrible beer, as anyone who has had a Foster's, Carlsberg, Heineken, Tecate or Molson will attest.

Mord
Aug 3, 2010, 03:21 AM
as anyone who has had a Foster's, Carlsberg

They're also fowl.

Queso
Aug 3, 2010, 03:41 AM
They're also fowl.

?

http://rohsusa.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/turkey.jpg

?

Mord
Aug 3, 2010, 03:46 AM
?

?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:J7e4UWXOqxhQMM:http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/kevink252007/rolleyes.gif&t=1

You know what I mean :P

I've not drunk beer in around two years though so I'm probably out of touch, I just can't imagine Fosters or Carlsberg taste any less like piss than they did.

Queso
Aug 3, 2010, 04:02 AM
They're not my favourite by a long way. Grolsch seems to be my current lager of choice, although I'd rather an ale or bitter TBH.

covisio
Aug 3, 2010, 05:28 AM
Do your research, O.P. "Budweiser" correctly describes a beer brewed in, or in the style of beers brewed in Böhmisch Budweis in the Czech Republic.

Budweiser Budvar is simply one producer of 'Budweis' beer and has actually been producing a Budweis for LESS TIME than Anheuser-Busch, so therefore it is nowhere near the 'original' Budweis.

That is not to say that one is better than the other, I don't have a great opinion on the matter.

However, I would say that Bud, the US product, has its place as a refreshing liquid when ice cold. I have very fond memories of sitting in Central Park on a blazing hot day in 1989 while the 'ice man' came round on his delivery bike, the front basket of which was filled with pint cans of Bud nestled in ice cubes. I can testify that I was genuinely refreshed.

Guinness on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish, and is one of the most clevery marketed, and misinformed upon drinks in the world. It is sold as inherently Irish, yet it started off as very much an English drink, a porter from London. It is still the most popular drink in Ireland, but certainly in my experience many younger people prefer drinking bottled beers such as Bud.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 3, 2010, 06:38 AM
Guinness on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish...That's just the brewing process, they assure us no isinglass ends up in the final product. ;)

Queso
Aug 3, 2010, 07:21 AM
That's just the brewing process, they assure us no isinglass ends up in the final product. ;)
Mmmmmm....fish guts :D

Les Kern
Aug 3, 2010, 09:00 AM
Whilst you're right that many of us would struggle picking out our favourite beer brands from a line up it would be easy to spot the one that doesn't actually taste of beer at all, namely Budweiser.

Very true. I was over a friends house the other day. We get together regularly for beer tasting, always having some micro offering to try. One day he slipped me a Bud Light. Damned near threw up.
But let people drink what they want. I really don't care to get into some petty argument about what they "should be drinking". My little beer secret: When I am cutting the lawn and it's real hot, I actually like a High Life on occasion. Diss me for THAT and you'll see a bottle upside you're pretentious head.
:)

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2010, 02:59 PM
I actually like High Life...I like all sorts of different beers, but I'm not a beer snob. I don't mind Labatt Blue or Yuengling either - some macrobrews are just fine by me.

But not Budweiser. Or PBR. Or Coors.

Antares
Aug 3, 2010, 04:08 PM
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward. The "lightness" of those type of beers is what makes them ideal. They are very refreshing.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward.

Any decent lager, ice cold, is a treat after strenuous excercise in the heat. Budweiser is not a decent lager though. ;-)

MacAztec
Aug 3, 2010, 04:49 PM
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward. The "lightness" of those type of beers is what makes them ideal. They are very refreshing.

You're joking, right? There is absolutely zero nutritional benefit of these crappy beers that are brewed with rice grain.

I suggest ALL OF YOU, go out, and sample beer. I've become a bit of a beer snob, but it's for the better. I now know what I really, really like.

Favorite Beers:

Pliny the Elder
Full Sail IPA
Firestone DBA
Firestone Union Jack
Stone IPA

I like hoppy, higher BU beers. Some people like the fruity, mild beers. To each his own.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2010, 04:57 PM
I like hoppy, higher BU beers. Some people like the fruity, mild beers. To each his own.

I avoid pale ales and IPAs and anything that's been loaded with hops. Bitter beer doesn't really do it for me - but I like everything else.

steviem
Aug 3, 2010, 04:57 PM
I always felt bad feet smelt more like Stilton Cheese than Beer..

Fuzzy14
Aug 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
There seems to be a bit of beer snobbery going on here. I don't particularly like stouts (apart from the odd Caffrey's) and don't like standard lagers, the likes of Tennents, Carling, McEwans... but I will drink a Bud. It's cheap mass produced fizzy water, but hey it's better than not having a beer. I also like Fosters, Carlsberg, and Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).

I've been in Belgium and had a Hoegaarden and didn't particularly like it. I've been in Leuvern and had a Stella and it was much better than the Welsh copy you get in this country... but I'd still drink it. But Jupiler is by far my favorite!:)

Lord Blackadder
Aug 3, 2010, 05:17 PM
There seems to be a bit of beer snobbery going on here. I don't particularly like stouts (apart from the odd Caffrey's) and don't like standard lagers, the likes of Tennents, Carling, McEwans... but I will drink a Bud. It's cheap mass produced fizzy water, but hey it's better than not having a beer. I also like Fosters, Carlsberg, and Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).

My uncle loves Rolling Rock....I'm not a fan, buit will drink it if it's cold and there's nothing else. :D But like I said, I'll drink a Miller High Life or Labatt Blue too, so while I loves me some fancy microbrew, I'm not averse to high-volume lager. I like Stella Artois too, even though we get the crappy export version here in the states. Also Becks.

Lately I've been drinking a lot of Pilsener Urquell.

darkplanets
Aug 3, 2010, 06:06 PM
I have to confess, I enjoy Sam Adams.

With the exception of the cherry wheat (Yuck!), their entire line up is top notch. Boston and winter lager have to be my favorites, the imperial white is also quite good.

Of course, I also have to say I like Magic Hat and Blue Moon quite a bit too.

Budweiser though? Blech. That falls right in line with Natural Ice and others in the cheap beer category; most of which I can't stand. When it comes to piss-water I suppose I'm mostly partial to Coors and PBR (for the really cheap occasions), but that's mostly due to monetary issues while in college, not preference.

Less Bud anywhere in the world means its a better world...

snberk103
Aug 3, 2010, 07:07 PM
Pender Island Porter, just for the record......

Counterfit
Aug 4, 2010, 02:33 AM
You have obviously never had a Newcastle that has gone skunky. I love Newcastle, but I hate those clear bottles.
I've never really been a fan of Newcastle, so I've definitely never had a skunked one.
US-made Budwesier is foul. Though, America does not have a monopoly on horrible beer, as anyone who has had a Foster's, Carlsberg, Heineken, Tecate or Molson will attest.
You forgot Corona! They flat out tell you their beer will probably be skunked before you drink it, so put a lime in it!
?

?
No, that's bourbon.
Budweiser, Miller, PBR, Old Style, Lone Star, etc. are all very similar. They are great to drink after any strenuous exercise, running, biking, etc. In fact, I defy you name any type of beer that is better to drink, afterward.
I generally stick to water after exercising, but I like wheat beers on hot days. Still light, and no rice.
Rolling Rock (which if anybody knows where to get them in this country I'd be eternally grateful).
Ask A-B InBev (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Rock).

MotleyPete
Aug 4, 2010, 03:55 AM
Give me good British Real Ale/Cask Ale any day. Quality beers with with character, a full body & depth of flavour. Mmmm.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 4, 2010, 04:02 AM
Give me good British Real Ale/Cask Ale any day. Quality beers with with character, a full body & depth of flavour. Mmmm.MotleyPete is a man of taste and distinction. Pay heed to his wise words.

covisio
Aug 4, 2010, 04:48 AM
MotleyPete is a man of taste and distinction. Pay heed to his wise words.

For those with beards and home knitwear, and who like a bit of cask beverage, may I recommend The Brewery Tap in Chester, UK (my home town).

It's owned by local independent brewery Spitting Feathers and has their own products plus plenty of guest ales. It's situated in a magnificent Jacobean great hall, part of Gamul House, where King Charles I stayed in 1645 during the Battle of Rowton Moor (which he lost), prior to losing his head.

The food is also good.

I don't think they sell Bud., but I may be wrong.

MotleyPete
Aug 4, 2010, 05:05 AM
Independent brewery, guest ales, novelty beer titles, associations with historical battles. This is all music to the ale drinkers ears.

Sounds great.

Mal67
Aug 4, 2010, 09:02 AM
Independent brewery, guest ales, novelty beer titles, associations with historical battles. This is all music to the ale drinkers ears.

Sounds great.

I remember a South Australian brewer bottling duff-beer ala the Simpsons in the nineties. I think it was just their usual beer in cans etc made to look like the original duff package. Once the copyright holders got wind of it that was the end of that idea. Still I believe an unopened 6 pack or carton goes for quite a bit on auction. But there's certainly great variety of beers out there including one I read about just recently that has a 40% rating, cost more than $200 for 1 stubby and comes in a special package. Apparently it doesn't taste all that nice but after a couple of those I doubt you'd notice the taste or how much lighter your wallet had become! :eek:

covisio
Aug 4, 2010, 09:33 AM
... there's certainly great variety of beers out there including one I read about just recently that has a 40% rating, cost more than $200 for 1 stubby and comes in a special package. Apparently it doesn't taste all that nice but after a couple of those I doubt you'd notice the taste or how much lighter your wallet had become! :eek:

Have a look at Brew Dog (http://www.brewdog.com). One of their beers, Tactical Nuclear Penguin comes in at 32% ABV. Very expensive to buy. Nothing more than a publicity stunt, really. They release a beer, put something controversial on the label, questions get asked in Parliament and bingo!, loads of free publicity and street cred.

Rather have a nice bottle of single malt meself.:p

Oh, just had a look at their site and they've had to release a 41% ABV entitled "Sink The Bismark" in order to combat a 40 percenter from Germany.

snberk103
Aug 4, 2010, 09:34 AM
For those with beards and home knitwear, and who like a bit of cask beverage, may I recommend The Brewery Tap in Chester, UK (my home town).

It's owned by local independent brewery Spitting Feathers and has their own products plus plenty of guest ales. It's situated in a magnificent Jacobean great hall, part of Gamul House, where King Charles I stayed in 1645 during the Battle of Rowton Moor (which he lost), prior to losing his head.

Imagine how history would have been different if Charles had stayed away from the ale taps the night before..... :D

rhett7660
Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 AM
Give me good British Real Ale/Cask Ale any day. Quality beers with with character, a full body & depth of flavour. Mmmm.

MotleyPete is a man of taste and distinction. Pay heed to his wise words.

Pfff.. there are plenty of beers brewed that fall into that category that are not British. Although, probably not the best of the best but the only two british beers I have had are Boddingtons Pub Ale (Which I love to death) and Old Speckled Hen Ale (which I also really like).

However I tend to lean more towards a good American Strong Ale or a German Lager/Black Ale. With Köstritzer being my favorite German Black Beer.

Gelfin
Aug 5, 2010, 01:24 PM
I still shake my head a little at the sight of a British couple coming into my favorite microbrewery, ordering two Budweisers, and then leaving in disappointment. I still cannot imagine the historical sequence of events that leads to this tragedy.

Rogue runs a tied house here in the city, which of course carries mostly their beers, but also is required to carry Coors Light as a part of a deal they have with Coors to distribute for them. Last time I was there it was listed on the board as Coors "We Pity You" Light.

Oh, and Lee, I know a place that occasionally serves up a pretty awesome pomegranate cider. Just saying. ;)

millar876
Aug 5, 2010, 02:29 PM
Have a look at Brew Dog (http://www.brewdog.com). One of their beers, Tactical Nuclear Penguin comes in at 32% ABV. Very expensive to buy. Nothing more than a publicity stunt, really. They release a beer, put something controversial on the label, questions get asked in Parliament and bingo!, loads of free publicity and street cred.

Oh, just had a look at their site and they've had to release a 41% ABV entitled "Sink The Bismark" in order to combat a 40 percenter from Germany.

Brewdog brewery is literally 20 mins from where i live, and the stuff is vile. another thing US bud is not a beer, its a lager-beer. and no i don't know the difrence and frankly i don't care. I prefer tenents, or Cobra lagers, or, scratch the last 2, make mine an orkney, Dark Island real ale, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum

Blue Velvet
Aug 5, 2010, 02:40 PM
Today, August the 5th, is International Beer Day.

I had a cold pint of San Miguel at the beach this afternoon. Perfect weather for cold lager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Beer_Day

Their site (http://www.internationalbeerday.com/) seems down. Here's Google's cache (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fVbfrsCc7-AJ:www.internationalbeerday.com/+international+beer+day&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk).

Apparently, you can thank President Jimmy Carter for the vast range of quality beer from small breweries you can now get in the US, as the previously post-prohibition and tightly-regulated brewing industry was deregulated, allowing small breweries to enter the market.

http://www.tressugar.com/Jimmy-Carters-Unintentional-Legacy-Beer-Making-2876645

Cheers!

snberk103
Aug 5, 2010, 03:36 PM
Today, August the 5th, is International Beer Day.

Cheers!

Cool! Cheers right back at ya!! I'm going to do my part to celebrate....

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 5, 2010, 03:40 PM
All beer sucks.

Pffft.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 5, 2010, 03:52 PM
Pfff.. there are plenty of beers brewed that fall into that category that are not British. Although, probably not the best of the best but the only two british beers I have had are Boddingtons Pub Ale (Which I love to death) and Old Speckled Hen Ale (which I also really like).I tried some of the Boddingtons Pub Ale when I was in Canada a few years ago, rather different from the version we have over here.

Today, August the 5th, is International Beer Day.What?! Why didn't we have the day off work or something? :confused:

Counterfit
Aug 5, 2010, 04:01 PM

They have a 55% beer out now. "The End of History" is covered in a dead animal, and costs about $750. From what I hear, most ice-distilled beers taste like ass anyway, and that's all they've done to get it this high. To me, it doesn't mean much unless it's fermented to that strength. That means my record-holder is still Utopias.

Ttownbeast
Aug 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
Funny thing is I think this stuff was awesome:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs089.ash2/37770_417600534157_601769157_4467284_428071_n.jpg

and I'd like to find this one too:

http://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/Billy.GIF

steve2112
Aug 5, 2010, 07:19 PM
Rogue runs a tied house here in the city, which of course carries mostly their beers, but also is required to carry Coors Light as a part of a deal they have with Coors to distribute for them. Last time I was there it was listed on the board as Coors "We Pity You" Light.

Oh, and Lee, I know a place that occasionally serves up a pretty awesome pomegranate cider. Just saying. ;)

Wow, I love Rogue. I don't think I have had one from them I didn't like. I'm also a fan of New Belgium. Normally, I'm a stout and porter kind of guy, but sometimes it's good to enjoy a good Rogue Dead Guy or Fat Tire.

I really hate my state's stupid beer laws. The cap on beer is 5%, which cuts out a lot of great beers. Thankfully, I have friends and relatives in other states where I can get said beers. :)

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 5, 2010, 11:24 PM
I really hate my state's stupid beer laws. The cap on beer is 5%

Good god man. That's reason enough to move!

Ttownbeast
Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
Wow, I love Rogue. I don't think I have had one from them I didn't like. I'm also a fan of New Belgium. Normally, I'm a stout and porter kind of guy, but sometimes it's good to enjoy a good Rogue Dead Guy or Fat Tire.

I really hate my state's stupid beer laws. The cap on beer is 5%, which cuts out a lot of great beers. Thankfully, I have friends and relatives in other states where I can get said beers. :)

What good is a state where you cant crack open an Old English for your dead homies? sad very sad

daver11
Aug 6, 2010, 12:42 AM
...unlike like traditional rice wines such as sake...

Actually, sake is brewed like beer, not fermented like wine. It does drink like a wine, though. Thus the confusion.

Ttownbeast
Aug 6, 2010, 01:08 AM
Actually, sake is brewed like beer, not fermented like wine. It does drink like a wine, though. Thus the confusion.

daver, beer requires fermentation the hops is brewed to extract the bitters to add to the fermenting liquid in the vats otherwise you get no alcohol. I know I come from a long family line of brewers, wine makers and moonshiners I know intimately every step from making the mash or wort to the process of distillation. I would like to know how you make beer or any sort of alcohol at all without the fermentation process which is something very essential to the process. Wines require it, liquor requires it, and beer requires it...surprisingly enough even real root beer requires fermentation and that is a stunted process because before it produces a noticeable amount of alcohol it gets bottled to retain the natural carbonation. Even alcohol used for fuel (ethanol) requires fermentation over a period of time before distillation and use as an additive to gasoline. Fermentation doesn't always require yeast to make alcohol either but it is the most efficient and cost effective means for speeding up the process. No confusion here.

Statik
Aug 6, 2010, 11:11 AM

Horrible! I feel for you man. Why such a silly limit?

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 6, 2010, 11:22 AM

Bible belt.

There are a lot of places where you have to go to a liquor/package store to buy real beer because state law only allows supermarkets/convenience stores to sell 3.2% beer.

SlovakApple
Aug 6, 2010, 11:51 AM
and I'd like to find this one too:
http://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/Billy.GIF

Wow, that one was on the Simpsons! :eek:

steve2112
Aug 6, 2010, 11:59 AM

It's leftover from Prohibition. Heck, the state didn't even officially legalize alcohol again until the 50s.

What good is a state where you cant crack open an Old English for your dead homies? sad very sad

Oddly enough, malt liquor seems to be exempt from that law. All the finer malt liquors, including Olde English, Colt 45, and Mickey's are widely available. I think they have their own category for some reason. I also think they don't enforce the law that closely. I believe Rogue Dead Guy, for example, is around 6%, but it is easily available. Also, I have seen quite a few beers in the 5.something range around, so it doesn't seem to be a hard 5% cap.

Good god man. That's reason enough to move!

I'm working on it. :) I've been ramping up the job hut lately. I have been avoiding it, but I think I may wind up in DFW. At least I have a free place to crash there for a while. At least until the sis-in-law gets sick of me, that is.

Ttownbeast
Aug 6, 2010, 12:19 PM
Bible belt.

There are a lot of places where you have to go to a liquor/package store to buy real beer because state law only allows supermarkets/convenience stores to sell 3.2% beer.

Ironic considering the massive amount of drive through liquor stores many of those states have isn't it? LOL

Jaro65
Aug 6, 2010, 01:07 PM
The national spirit of the past, which forged the industrial revolution and led to the largest empire ever seen, has long dissipated.

Funny how it comes and goes, right?

snberk103
Aug 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
Funny how it comes and goes, right?

I had to go back up the thread to see which empire...

Phillips - Hop Circle IPA. It's an acquired taste, but I quite like it now.

Mal67
Aug 6, 2010, 07:37 PM
It's leftover from Prohibition. Heck, the state didn't even officially legalize alcohol again until the 50s.

Oddly enough, malt liquor seems to be exempt from that law. All the finer malt liquors, including Olde English, Colt 45, and Mickey's are widely available. I think they have their own category for some reason. I also think they don't enforce the law that closely.

Funny that I wonder if those are/were the drink of choice of the people who made the laws...hmm!

Kebabselector
Aug 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
Old Speckled Hen Ale (which I also really like)

Not had Old Speckled Hen for a while, don't often see it in pubs in the midlands.

I used to enjoy a pint of London Pride, when I worked in Marlow. Recently been trying a few real ale pubs in Birmingham. Some nice beers to be had.

Though in this early hour i'm finishing off a bottle of red :)

steve2112
Aug 6, 2010, 09:10 PM
Funny that I wonder if those are/were the drink of choice of the people who made the laws...hmm!

Well, given some of the stupid stuff they do, they are drinking SOMETHING. Not all of them are stupid, because there has been a bill introduced two or three years in a row to increase the limit to 7% or 10%, but it has been shot down either in committee or on the floor each time. Supposedly, one of the ancient guys who has been there forever said something to the effect of "what's wrong with the beer we already have?"

Forgot to add that I really like Old Speckled Hen. Good stuff.

blunderboy
Aug 20, 2010, 01:34 AM
Can't stand Budweiser/Miller Lite/any of that stuff. My favourite beers are from local breweries or are European. Most of the time, I find myself drinking Heineken or Stella.

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 20, 2010, 03:07 AM
I'm working on it. :) I've been ramping up the job hut lately. I have been avoiding it, but I think I may wind up in DFW. At least I have a free place to crash there for a while. At least until the sis-in-law gets sick of me, that is.

DFW is not so bad if you stay away from the "D" side and stick to the "FW" side.

Ironic considering the massive amount of drive through liquor stores many of those states have isn't it? LOL

In Texas, you can get mixed drinks through the drive through! It's considered a "closed" container if the cup has a lid on it and the straw still has the paper over the top portion. I always thought that was hilarious.

rhett7660
Aug 20, 2010, 03:54 AM
I tried some of the Boddingtons Pub Ale when I was in Canada a few years ago, rather different from the version we have over here.

I wonder if that is the same version we get in the states? I also really like Old Speckled Hen Ale also. I don't know if they are the same from across the pond thou even thou it says it is brewed there.

steve2112
Aug 20, 2010, 09:01 AM
In Texas, you can get mixed drinks through the drive through! It's considered a "closed" container if the cup has a lid on it and the straw still has the paper over the top portion. I always thought that was hilarious.

Louisiana is like that. It always cracked me up when going through a drive-through liquor store and there would be a "please don't drink and drive" sign there as you pulled out. Louisiana used to have not only drive through daquiri stores, but full service drive through liquor stores. I haven't checked lately, though. Then again, Louisiana was the last state to raise their drinking age to 21, and only did it after the feds cut off highway funding.

Statik
Aug 20, 2010, 10:38 AM

Prohibition? Thank Gawd there are no leftovers from that up here.

*Grabs favorite 9.5% brew and hugs Canadian flag*

Jaffa Cake
Aug 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
I wonder if that is the same version we get in the states?I'd guess they're the same but I couldn't say for certain, having not sampled an American version.

I also really like Old Speckled Hen Ale also. I don't know if they are the same from across the pond thou even thou it says it is brewed there.Again, I'm not sure.

There was a bit of controversy here a while back when they changed the draught version of Old Speckled Hen to reduce the alcohol content – the brewer's notion was that if it wasn't as strong they could advertise it more as a social 'session' beer. Didn't go down well, that. :p

snberk103
Aug 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
Prohibition? Thank Gawd there are no leftovers from that up here.

That's not technically quite accurate..... a number of current Canadian fortunes were started by running our legal booze across the border. A transfer of wealth that went south to north for a change.... :D

Ibjr
Aug 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
Natty light is reserved for high-school parties and frat houses on a budget. ;)

In the SE yuengling is nearly always the same price.

Ibjr
Aug 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Can't stand Budweiser/Miller Lite/any of that stuff. My favourite beers are from local breweries or are European. Most of the time, I find myself drinking Heineken or Stella.

Go into any belgian restaurant or bar and Stella is the cheapest thing on the menu because it is crap. You can even judge the prices of the location by its Stella and hoegaarden prices. I can admire microbrews, but blanket statements about European beer that includes talking about Stella or Heineken makes me think you're a beer snob without tastebuds.