PDA

View Full Version : Turn of monitor while computer sleeps?

tech4all
Nov 18, 2004, 11:57 PM
Is it possible to turn off the monitor, including the light, while the computer is asleep? Because on my Apple display (plastic) when I put my G5 to sleep the glow light pulsates. I would like to keep the computer on by putting it to sleep during the night but the glowing light on the LCD is too bright when I'm in bed. I'm guessing the answer is no, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks for any info :)

EDIT: Title should say "Turn off monitor while computer sleeps?"

Counterfit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:07 AM
Well, assuming that it works the same as my CRT+Beige G3, yes, you can do that and all will be fine.

tech4all
Nov 19, 2004, 01:02 AM
Well, assuming that it works the same as my CRT+Beige G3, yes, you can do that and all will be fine.

But if I push the power button on the display it puts the computer to sleep and starts pulsating. Not unless there some other way to do it that I don't know of? :confused:

jackieonasses
Nov 19, 2004, 01:17 AM
But if I push the power button on the display it puts the computer to sleep and starts pulsating. Not unless there some other way to do it that I don't know of? :confused: The light never bothered me, but the answer is no, you can't use a towel or something.

tech4all
Nov 19, 2004, 01:21 AM
The light never bothered me, but the answer is no, you can't use a towel or something.

Yea, that's what I thought :( Oh well, maybe I'll give that towel idea a shot ;) The light isn't "super" bright, but my room is sorta small: the monitor is about 3ft from my bed and the back of my chair touches my bed while I'm the computer.

Thanks!

Counterfit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:31 AM
Ah, right. I forgot about the USB connection, which is probably where that signal goes through. I suppose if you just didn't connect the USB, it would work the way you want. Of course, that's probably not an option if you use it.

jackieonasses
Nov 19, 2004, 02:39 AM
Ah, right. I forgot about the USB connection, which is probably where that signal goes through. I suppose if you just didn't connect the USB, it would work the way you want. Of course, that's probably not an option if you use it. It has one ADC connection. Power, Signal and USB....I am sure you knew that Counterfit... You can make your comp shut down by holding down the power button on the monitor... (i guess if you could not reach the main computers switch...)

kyle

kettle
Nov 19, 2004, 03:11 AM
Is it possible to turn off the monitor, including the light, while the computer is asleep? Because on my Apple display (plastic) when I put my G5 to sleep the glow light pulsates. I would like to keep the computer on by putting it to sleep during the night but the glowing light on the LCD is too bright when I'm in bed. I'm guessing the answer is no, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks for any info :)

EDIT: Title should say "Turn off monitor while computer sleeps?"

How about a large stuffed toy to sit in your chair when you're not using it, that's if the potential of scary shadows being cast on the opposite wall hasn't put you off already. ;)

garybUK
Nov 19, 2004, 06:59 AM
bit of black insulating tape from a DIY shop around - 50p ?? tape up over the light, simple! :)