PDA

View Full Version : harddrive backup question

slipper
Nov 19, 2004, 02:02 AM
guys and gals, im so pissed about Applecares malfunctioning service. i had my iBook G4 800mhz repaired twice in a row, both with logic board problems, and both times it came with defective on arrival. now its in for a third time, please help me pray for the poor baby. i have all my info on the computer, and i cant keep putting my life on hold while the computer gets fixed so i will be getting an external harddrive for my information backup. i know carbon copy cloner is highly recommended. in the event my harddrive gets erased after repair, would i be able to restore my internal harddrive with my backup, essentially getting the same computer back? and does carbon copy cloner automatically syncronize everytime i connect it up, similar to my iPod?

thanks for your help

brap
Nov 19, 2004, 02:06 AM
would i be able to restore my internal harddrive with my backup, essentially getting the same computer back?
Yes. Exactly the same. You can even boot from the external [cloned] drive.
and does carbon copy cloner automatically syncronize everytime i connect it up, similar to my iPod?
No. It can be scheduled, though.

munkle
Nov 19, 2004, 02:33 AM
I would check out SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html), it's like CarbonCopyCloner with added functionality.

slipper
Nov 23, 2004, 01:37 AM
can i use carbon copy cloner and my iPod as the backup harddrive?

jackieonasses
Nov 23, 2004, 01:44 AM
can i use carbon copy cloner and my iPod as the backup harddrive? Yes you can, just have it plugged in, and it will recognize it as a HFS+ drive. Make sure it is big enough.

kyle

slipper
Nov 29, 2004, 04:55 AM
and say i lose my harddrive and boot from my external harddrive... would all the settings, background, keychain, etc still be intact?

munkle
Nov 29, 2004, 05:23 AM
and say i lose my harddrive and boot from my external harddrive... would all the settings, background, keychain, etc still be intact?

That's kinda the point of a clone...