Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastcoasteric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
I'm looking to pick one of these up but I'm a little confused on the so called "subscriptions", can someone explain in detail how this goes?
And are things like hulu and stuff available on it?

I don't want to pay a buck or two per show, I'd like to pay like $30 a month for unlimited TV..let me know!!

Archman!

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Georgia
Apple TV is great I have had one for about 3 years now. There are no subscriptions fees to get movies and such. Hulu and Boxee are not natively avaliable on ATV but if you are an enterprising person you can find programs to "jailbreak" your ATV to load these programs onto your ATV. I tried it and found it to be questionable useful at best. I think the $30 subscription your are talking about is Hulu plus. I am not sure how this would work on the jailbroken ATV. It should work but I can't say for sure. Good luck you will love it!

eastcoasteric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
now is it just free tv? That's my question, because right now I use my PS3 with the playstation plus subscription which on there I use hulu plus.
I can choose from ton's of tv stations and shows, it's awesome and free.

I'd like to give my PS3 a break here and there since I do not use cable, just internet (verizon fios,ftw!).
If the apple tv has features like that I would get in a heartbeat, I just don't want to buy it and have to pay for everything I watch, I wouldn't mind dropping a monthly charge on it, I also stream netflix on PS3 as well and get blu-rays in the mail but right now I've been on a hulu kick, it's nice coming home after a hard day of work and putting whatever the hell I want on TV:D

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Netflix, Hulu or any other subscription service are not on Apple TV. You can hack one with Boxee, but the quality of the video is very poor (especially compared to your PS3).

From you post, I do not think the ATV is right for you. Its best for those with large itunes libraries. And yes, you have to pay for the individual shows or movies you want to watch. The advantage to do this over Netflix is you have current running episodes (don't have to wait for the dvd release). The advantage over Hulu is you have access to a ton more content than you can get on Hulu.

If you Netflix and Hulu meet your needs...ATV is not the solution you are looking for.

Also note, rumors abound of a brand new ATV coming soon...so you may want to keep an eye on the next generation of ATV which may end up having these features...

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
now is it just free tv? That's my question, because right now I use my PS3 with the playstation plus subscription which on there I use hulu plus.
I can choose from ton's of tv stations and shows, it's awesome and free.

I'd like to give my PS3 a break here and there since I do not use cable, just internet (verizon fios,ftw!).
If the apple tv has features like that I would get in a heartbeat, I just don't want to buy it and have to pay for everything I watch, I wouldn't mind dropping a monthly charge on it, I also stream netflix on PS3 as well and get blu-rays in the mail but right now I've been on a hulu kick, it's nice coming home after a hard day of work and putting whatever the hell I want on TV:D

AppleTV is part of the iTunes store environment, period. You can buy individual shows, full seasons, or rent movies and such. It's an a la carte approach to content. Sure you can hack them, encode your own content for them, etc.. but essentially it's a way to view iTunes content on your TV.

Also the Hulu Plus that you are using on PS3 isn't going to be free either. It's going to be $9.99 per month.

eastcoasteric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
AppleTV is part of the iTunes store environment, period. You can buy individual shows, full seasons, or rent movies and such. It's an a la carte approach to content. Sure you can hack them, encode your own content for them, etc.. but essentially it's a way to view iTunes content on your TV.

Also the Hulu Plus that you are using on PS3 isn't going to be free either. It's going to be $9.99 per month.

Didn't I just say I was using hulu on my PS3? It's through PLAY ON, which is paid for already on running off my modified windows server and streams to my bedroom tv and PS3.
R.E.A.D.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Didn't I just say I was using hulu on my PS3? It's through PLAY ON, which is paid for already on running off my modified windows server and streams to my bedroom tv and PS3.
R.E.A.D.

You wanna bitch at people trying to help you?

Also I don't see how "paid for already" = "free". My car is paid for already, but that doesn't make it free.

You said you were using Hulu Plus on the PS3 and it's free. This is not true. Hulu Plus is $9.99 per month.

So far you've mentioned Playstation Plus, Hulu Plus, and Play On. None of these are free.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
You wanna bitch at people trying to help you?

Also I don't see how "paid for already" = "free". My car is paid for already, but that doesn't make it free.

You said you were using Hulu Plus on the PS3 and it's free. This is not true. Hulu Plus is $9.99 per month.

So far you've mentioned Playstation Plus, Hulu Plus, and Play On. None of these are free.

Agreed. OP is over the line here. He certainly implied he was getting HULU for free on his PS3 with a PS3 plus account (which is what, $79 a year now?) and that would be the free preview that will become $9.99/month.

The thread has already established that Apple tv will not work for the OP so I say let him go off on his own....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.