Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MindBrain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Anyone know if it's possible to use the same cd-key on a second computer, as long as only 1 copy is running at a time? If 1 copy is running and the 2nd starts up, does it invalidate the key for "piracy" or something? Or does it just let you know that another copy is running and close out, with no problem or hard feelings?

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Yup. There is no more CD key check, you are free to install your disk on as many computers as you want. The check is now entirely online.

Suspended
Jan 9, 2010
Anyone know if it's possible to use the same cd-key on a second computer, as long as only 1 copy is running at a time? If 1 copy is running and the 2nd starts up, does it invalidate the key for "piracy" or something? Or does it just let you know that another copy is running and close out, with no problem or hard feelings?

You can install Starcraft 2 on multiple computers, but you can only use one CDKEY at a time. You only bought 1 copy so you can only use 1 copy at 1 time is the way I think of it when I buy something like this.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
To be more clear, basically you now apply your CD-Key to a permanent battle.net account. To play the game at any time, you must log online (and thus verifying your account). If you give your account information to another person to play with, whenever they log on, you will be disconnected from the servers (and thus unable to play SC2).

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I have the same problem while installation. I buy this game on one cd shop. But i install ones it works. and after I change operating system then i cant install this game. it shows error on serial key.
what can I do?
Don't register it twice. Register once, log in twice. I have it installed under both OS X and Windows.

heyisa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Kansas
Yes, but be aware

My roommate and I are sharing one battlenet login at the moment while I wait for my copy from amazon. He was logged in at work with the login, and I did not know it. So I logged in with the same account and it dropped him out of the game he was in the middle of and let me play. He was not pleased.
So no you will not invalidate the account, but you will kick out anyone else playing if you try to login, even if they are in the middle of a game.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
My roommate and I are sharing one battlenet login at the moment while I wait for my copy from amazon. He was logged in at work with the login, and I did not know it. So I logged in with the same account and it dropped him out of the game he was in the middle of and let me play. He was not pleased.
So no you will not invalidate the account, but you will kick out anyone else playing if you try to login, even if they are in the middle of a game.
That's how WoW works.

If an account is considered online, and you try to log in again (even from the same computer running a 2nd client instance) it logs any active sessions out.

pauli123

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Don't register it twice. Register once, log in twice. I have it installed under both OS X and Windows.

I installed SC2 on my Macbook Pro (2008) and a Windows 7 PC hoping to be able to play the single-player campaign on one, and pick up where I left off on the other - apparently you can't. At least when I go to load a saved game, it only shows saved games made on a particular platform. My Mac won't even see the PC saved games and vice versa. I hope this will be patched soon!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I don't know what's going on with you, but I had no issue switching OSes and continuing my saves.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Do you just dig through directories to find your save and play it on whichever platform you want?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
If you're talking to me, no, all I do is hit 'continue campaign' after the splash screen.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Your saved games are saved on the machine you're using -- whether mac or PC. I think this will explain why you don't see your saved games from the other machines, but your progress is saved online so you can pick up at the start of the campaign (but not from your saved game on another machine).

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
He was logged in at work with the login, and I did not know it. So I logged in with the same account and it dropped him out of the game he was in the middle of and let me play.

He must have a nice job to be able to play entire games of StarCraft 2 on the job! :D I'd hate to be his boss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.