PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated How long before I can buy a white bumper?

Flash69
Jul 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
Ok, I ordered my free Speck PixelSkin HD case. I received an email from Apple saying I can expect my case at the end of October. Wow!!!

So why can't I buy my own bumper case? I mean seriously? They already have all the tooling and factories setup to make every color bumper. Did they trash the bumpers that were already in production? Even if they did how long would it really take to mass produce them? I am sure the molds/forms for the bumpers are in groups for mass production how long could it really take to produce something they were already setup to make? Even if only 1 factory was making black bumpers, shouldn't they be able to produce them in the thousands or more per week?

I am not a manufacturer but I do know that the bumper is much easier to make than the iphone 4 itself yet we are seeing MANY more iphone 4s being produced as opposed to bumpers.

What is the hold up?

I really want a white iphone 4 bumper but don't think $60.00 on ebay is even remotely reasonable.

Buddhaluver
Jul 29, 2010, 11:41 PM
Ok, I ordered my free Speck PixelSkin HD case. I received an email from Apple saying I can expect my case at the end of October. Wow!!!

So why can't I buy my own bumper case? I mean seriously? They already have all the tooling and factories setup to make every color bumper. Did they trash the bumpers that were already in production? Even if they did how long would it really take to mass produce them? I am sure the molds/forms for the bumpers are in groups for mass production how long could it really take to produce something they were already setup to make? Even if only 1 factory was making black bumpers, shouldn't they be able to produce them in the thousands or more per week?

I am not a manufacturer but I do know that the bumper is much easier to make than the iphone 4 itself yet we are seeing MANY more iphone 4s being produced as opposed to bumpers

What is the hold up?

I really want a white iphone 4 bumper but don't think $60.00 on ebay is even
remotely reasonable.

Did you try Wal-mart? They are supposed to have them but I am not sure if they have white!

Flash69
Jul 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
Actually I have been to 2 different stores and they have the tag but no bumpers. I am curious if Apple had them shipped back.

Kevio
Jul 30, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ebay man, always turn to Ebay. It's how I got my green bumper. Be prepared to pay the price though. You can't find them anywhere, so don't expect them to be cheap.

pisces03x
Jul 30, 2010, 01:50 AM
Apple can appease a lot more customers if they simply produce black bumpers. The customer knows they're getting a black bumper, and if they don't want it, then they go with another free case. If Apple spent money in making bumpers of every color, then those that do not sell are wasted, thus requiring more time to make sure that every iPhone owner gets the colour they want.

I agree that if you pay a premium, then you should be entitled to a case faster. However, Apple is trying to ship these out as quickly as they can produce them, so having them rest on store shelves for potential purchases isn't viable. Ebay is probably your best bet, as Kevio mentioned.

iEnvy
Jul 30, 2010, 09:24 AM
Most of the authentic bumpers on Ebay are being bidded for, but they do have them on amazon. Idk about those prices though....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003VFREMS/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1280499727&sr=8-3&condition=all

bks691
Jul 30, 2010, 11:23 PM
I got lucky and found one on craigslist, believe it or not.

ram8727
Jul 31, 2010, 04:24 AM
I'm really trying hard to hold myself back from buying from eBay for $60. I know it's not worth it, but I love the look of the white bumper. :rolleyes:

iEnvy
Jul 31, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm really trying hard to hold myself back from buying from eBay for $60. I know it's not worth it, but I love the look of the white bumper. :rolleyes:

You can get it about $10-$15 dollars cheaper on Amazon..

SophiaLee
Jul 31, 2010, 11:23 AM
Did you try Wal-mart? They are supposed to have them but I am not sure if they have white!

Just as a heads up to everyone buddhaluver got banned from mac forums for attempting to scam multiple people

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/buy-sell-trade/208268-iphone-4-sale.html

I'm amazed shes bold enough to post here under the same username after what she did.

WOW! The nerve! :mad:

I'm surprised she didn't say she had a white one and try to sell it to him.

Rooskibar03
Jul 31, 2010, 11:26 AM
White Bumper is overrated.

Mine looks like crap after just 2 weeks. Had to scrub it with a Mr Clean Magic spong to get it looking white again.

ocva
Jul 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
Funny, I'm getting ready to remove my white bumper. I've had it since the second week of launch. The bumpers all LOOK great. In pics; In person. But I'm not crazy about how the phone feels in my hand. I initially thought the bumper was a great idea -- a way to set the phone down on either side without worrying about scratches. But it also sort of makes it feel like you're holding the phone backwards! Secondary to this is that it turns out the white bumper is just a little too flashy for me.

I just ordered the black Incase slider and will give that a try for a bit.

ngrimes-2010
Jul 31, 2010, 03:28 PM
Funny, I'm getting ready to remove my white bumper. I've had it since the second week of launch. The bumpers all LOOK great. In pics; In person. But I'm not crazy about how the phone feels in my hand. I initially thought the bumper was a great idea -- a way to set the phone down on either side without worrying about scratches. But it also sort of makes it feel like you're holding the phone backwards! Secondary to this is that it turns out the white bumper is just a little too flashy for me.

FYI- if you really like the bumper but didn't like the flash/fit/feel of the white go with the black. I have both the black and white and the black one is completely different. The rubber that is around the outside is much more textured/rubbery and has a lot more grip.

thesumokid
Jul 31, 2010, 03:40 PM
just get it off ebay if u want one so bad. u gotta pay up tho. nothing comes cheap

Flash69
Jul 31, 2010, 03:52 PM
just get it off ebay if u want one so bad. u gotta pay up tho. nothing comes cheap

It's a piece of rubber that costs Apple less than $3.00 to make. I was not wanting to pay $29.00 for it now $60 is insane! Sorry not happening.

ziked
Jul 31, 2010, 05:07 PM
I picked one up from eBay for $40 with free shipping. Yes it's $8 more then the apple price ($29.99 + tax) but I really wanted th white bumper and I decided to sell the free black bumper that I got in the mail from apple.

ag21
Jul 31, 2010, 06:39 PM

Also tried a few walmarts with no luck. Apple employees claim (incorrectly) you can get them with the free case program. Still wondering why they didn't offer white...

Please pm or email me ocva!

Thanks!

AG

ngrimes-2010
Jul 31, 2010, 06:50 PM
$43.00 shipped. When I got my white from Apple.com it was $41.00. Not bad! Just have to catch the good deals quick.

ocva
Jul 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Also tried a few walmarts with no luck. Apple employees claim (incorrectly) you can get them with the free case program. Still wondering why they didn't offer white...

Please pm or email me ocva!

Thanks!

AG

Sorry, dude. I'm not looking to get rid of the bumper just yet. Just going to remove it for a while to try a more conventional style.

I feel your pain though. Hopefully Apple gets this debacle straightened out soon.

ngrimes-2010
Jul 31, 2010, 06:55 PM
Sorry, dude. I'm not looking to get rid of the bumper just yet. Just going to remove it for a while to try a more conventional style.

I feel your pain though. Hopefully Apple gets this debacle straightened out soon.

What about it is a "debacle"?

RubbishBBspeed
Jul 31, 2010, 06:57 PM
Probably never; I'd have a guess they'd get dirty quite quickly and de-track from the aesthetics of the iPhone. Mr Jobs's marketing people would not allow you to have any independent choice in this matter.

Shasta McNasty
Jul 31, 2010, 08:28 PM
Althought everyone is saying Walmart has them, i think they had to ship em back to apple. I have called the 3 in my area and even went out of town and called the 5, yes 5 walmarts in the area and NONE had any. I went to three of them and they had tags but no bumpers. I just bought one from a guy on craigslist brand new for $40. Yeah paid over retail but what can you do?