PDA

View Full Version : Browser Wars 2.0 - Part 1

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2004, 09:09 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Browser Wars 2.0 - Part 1 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041119100920)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 01:28 AM
the guy in the comments section actually prompted me to try opera.

after I got rid of all of the junk, around the sides that the default install includes... it is a GREAT browser.

the status bar pops up with all kinds of statistics about whatever page is loading. excellent features. the skins are excellent. overall it is pretty impressive.

my only real grief is that that I can't figure out how to change it so new tabs open by opt-clicking. or to change new tabs to be opt-t. the preferences page is a little difficult to use, because everything is named differently than standard browser

but that is all probably operator error.

I've tried every other browser I can get my grubby mitts on.

I am annoyed with firefox because my scroll bars disappear whenever I open a new tab while I have a theme installed. annoying.

it also doesn't handle security certificates as well as opera does.

so for now, firefox is my primary, opera is a very close second, and safari is a moderately lower third...

if omniweb rendered as well as firefox, it would be my favorite and I would cough up the registration fee. are you listening omnigroup?

Mav451
Nov 20, 2004, 01:40 AM
The scrollbar issues is something with non-compatible themes >> and there are MANY out in the wild. I haven't really seen a need to change from the default theme so I haven't really seen this issue since early 0.8 revisions (when I was playing around with Safari-look alike themes).

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 02:13 AM
The scrollbar issues is something with non-compatible themes >> and there are MANY out in the wild. I haven't really seen a need to change from the default theme so I haven't really seen this issue since early 0.8 revisions (when I was playing around with Safari-look alike themes).

I had already considered that.
so I tried several other themes that were 1.0 compatible.
all of them did the same thing.
and I hate firefox's default theme. there is a hack out there to make buttons all aqua-ey, which is what I use in the meantime.

At any rate, opera's skin ability is so far superior to firefox's that it isn't even funny. the theme changes seamlessly without requiring a restart. and I haven't found one that is flaky yet.

I'm not sure I approve of opera's adware approach to strong-arming people into paying registration fees, but it is still a pretty nice browser.

mainstreetmark
Nov 20, 2004, 01:33 PM
I'd use firefox more if I could make it so clicking the mouse's scrollwheel opened a link in a new tab, like Safari does. I've gotten quite used to that.

Jonx
Nov 20, 2004, 02:00 PM
I'd use firefox more if I could make it so clicking the mouse's scrollwheel opened a link in a new tab, like Safari does. I've gotten quite used to that.

it does on pc and there are few etensions ut there enable this feature
:D tab browser preferences I think :)

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 02:50 PM

Opera does this as a default setting.

Actually, the only thing I have found flaky about opera after a couple days is that forms in javascript seem to be intermittent.

a blank form works alright, but a javascript that is supposed to take data already present doesn't render properly all of the time.

unfortunate that... and live-able, I suppose. Just an update to my opera experience, really.

It is actually unfortunate that all of the browsers I have tried for OS X seem to have their own quirks that make them not quite perfect.

I could give examples, but if somebody has any recommendations for the "perfect" browser, I am open to suggestion.

Right now it seems to be just a matter of picking which issues annoy me the least.

Mav451
Nov 20, 2004, 03:16 PM
Hrmm. you say Opera has good themes? Unfortunately, it is not free so I have no respect for Opera, nor do I want to even consider using their ad-aware laden software.

Sigh, but I'm a sucker for good themes (member of Aqua-soft and Aero-soft theming communities) =D.

Mav451
Nov 20, 2004, 03:17 PM
Right now it seems to be just a matter of picking which issues annoy me the least.

Haha, that's quite a compromise. But yeah, I've used FF for so long I may just overlook its "annoyances", if you will. Then again, i'd rather stand the "annoyances" of FF over IE anyday.

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
Haha, that's quite a compromise. But yeah, I've used FF for so long I may just overlook its "annoyances", if you will. Then again, i'd rather stand the "annoyances" of FF over IE anyday.

hah.

running your weiner through a meat grinder is better than using IE.

Both omniweb and opera have potential to be great... really really great.. but paying for a quirky experience is beyond the realm of reason. if omniweb fixed their rendering engine for secure sites, I would gladly pay.

I also agree that firefox is the best browsing experience currently.. and at the right price.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 20, 2004, 04:09 PM
I like Safari quite a bit. It's currently my favorite browser. I have Firefox too. I refuse to use Opera, and I've tried OmniWeb but found it disappointing - it has the features, but not the speed or price to hook me in. Shiira, though, is a whole different matter. I tried that browser and liked it, but I find its integration with Safari to be a little scary. Shiira and Safari seem to share settings. Shiira also includes Safari's bookmarks in its list, and keeps it up to date.

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 05:01 PM
I like Safari quite a bit. It's currently my favorite browser. I have Firefox too. I refuse to use Opera, and I've tried OmniWeb but found it disappointing - it has the features, but not the speed or price to hook me in. Shiira, though, is a whole different matter. I tried that browser and liked it, but I find its integration with Safari to be a little scary. Shiira and Safari seem to share settings. Shiira also includes Safari's bookmarks in its list, and keeps it up to date.

for functionality and aesthetics, safari is my favorite.

I like brushed metal, and I think everything about safari's interface is exactly what I want it to be.

However, safari chokes up sometimes, and I have no idea why.. everything just stops loading well. I reset safari, clear the cache, etc, and it starts working again, but... yeah.. no.

it also has iffy java rendering, and my webmail works intermittently.

firefox seems to be more solid, even though it doesn't manage certificates and keychains very well, and has the aforementioned scrollbar loss issue... and middle click doesn't open new windows without a plugin.

yadda yadda.

dragula53
Nov 20, 2004, 05:30 PM
Firefox has the nifty ability to manage popups, so you can exclude some pages from the popup blocking. something I find invaluable, and not available in other browsers.

dragula53
Nov 22, 2004, 05:44 AM
after using it for a few days, opera is officially my favorite browser.
I have not been able to recreate my issue with javascript, so the past few days have been a flawless browsing experience.
and as for opening items in new tabs, middle click works just fine.
aesthetically, it is the best browsing experience.

it's really that good.

try it. be objective.

just because the shortcuts are different, doesn't make them worse.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 22, 2004, 05:49 AM
after using it for a few days, opera is officially my favorite browser.
I have not been able to recreate my issue with javascript, so the past few days have been a flawless browsing experience.
and as for opening items in new tabs, middle click works just fine.
aesthetically, it is the best browsing experience.

it's really that good.

try it. be objective.

just because the shortcuts are different, doesn't make them worse.
I have no good reason to try Opera because I am happy with Safari, which is what I'm using now. Just one question though - does Opera have a shortcut to something-click on a link and just download it, don't try to display it in the browser or do any post-processing on it? In Safari, that can be accomplished with an option-click. I use this feature all the time.

dragula53
Nov 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
I have no good reason to try Opera because I am happy with Safari, which is what I'm using now. Just one question though - does Opera have a shortcut to something-click on a link and just download it, don't try to display it in the browser or do any post-processing on it? In Safari, that can be accomplished with an option-click. I use this feature all the time.

I poked around a little, and couldn't find one, but since I am new at this whole opera thing, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I always made opt-click open in a new tab for safari, who would have figured it was save as a default.

moo.

Timelessblur
Nov 22, 2004, 12:08 PM
as it looks right now from the statisitc reports the 3 big players in the browser wars over the net are going to be
IE number 1 then Moz/firefox number 2 and then oprea being number 3.

Sarfira sadly not even being on the radar but it also trap on one plate form and it can not compete with raw numbers

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp IE is loosing a lot of ground

wrldwzrd89
Nov 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
as it looks right now from the statisitc reports the 3 big players in the browser wars over the net are going to be
IE number 1 then Moz/firefox number 2 and then oprea being number 3.

Sarfira sadly not even being on the radar but it also trap on one plate form and it can not compete with raw numbers

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp IE is loosing a lot of ground
Windows XP, Mac OS, and Linux are gaining share, while other versions of Windows are losing share.

As far as browsers go, IE 6 peaked at 72.6% in May 2004, but it's rapidly losing ground to Mozilla/Firefox. Oddly enough, old versions of Netscape are STILL hanging around. IE 5, though, is fading fast. Opera's been hanging tough at just over 2% share.

Mav451
Nov 22, 2004, 02:03 PM
Heh, well Netscape is the "old Mozilla", if you will. My Classics professor uses it during his lectures (he uses the HTML Editor). This way he can bold/add notes to his lecture, while supplementing that with the blackboard as well.

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 02:05 PM
Is there a way to transfer your favorties from safari to firefox because thats the only thing holding me back from using firefox all the time.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 22, 2004, 03:15 PM
Is there a way to transfer your favorties from safari to firefox because thats the only thing holding me back from using firefox all the time.
Safari sure doesn't make it easy, does it? You need to turn on Safari's debug menu to enable this for some strange reason. To do that, close Safari if it's open, then open the Terminal (or make a new window if it's already open), type the command inside the "code:" area, then press Return to execute it:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
Once that's done (it takes less than one second - you'll be back at a prompt almost immediately), open Safari, and a new Debug menu should be visible. In there lies the Export Bookmarks command.

markjones05
Nov 22, 2004, 03:31 PM
Safari sure doesn't make it easy, does it? You need to turn on Safari's debug menu to enable this for some strange reason. To do that, close Safari if it's open, then open the Terminal (or make a new window if it's already open), type the command inside the "code:" area, then press Return to execute it:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
Once that's done (it takes less than one second - you'll be back at a prompt almost immediately), open Safari, and a new Debug menu should be visible. In there lies the Export Bookmarks command.

Wow thanx alot for the detailed directions! I really appreciate it, now i can be safari free!