Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I recently picked up a 17" 2.8GHz macbook pro from microcenter but it had an issue with the brightness making a horrible whiney noise so I returned it and went to the apple store and picked up the 24" LED ACD (colors looks juicy!!) and the 2.4GHz Mac Mini.

I just replaced the HDD in the Mac Mini and it was pretty difficult compared to the previous generation (non unibody!). But when I figured out how to get the HDD out by slightly sliding the I/O out all was good!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Well, I would have bought a 2.66GHz Mini w/2GB RAM (which is what I actually did), upgraded the the RAM to 8GB for $220 (I did that, too), and put a Seagate Momentus XT for $110 in there (which is yet-to-be Stage 2-upgrade, but I'm waiting for the 750GB one). It is faster, has twice the RAM and 4x the hard drive space - for $200 more of what you spend.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I hope it is okay to ask here (without creating another topic). When I get my Mini, if I'm not using very intensive applications (Photoshop, etc.), is 8 GB going to be even better on top of the SSD or is 4 GB just fine?

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
Dear Ice Dragon

The SSD helps most with OS and program starting/closing, and file loading. CPU speed has more impact on program performance than RAM. If you don't have enough RAM though, the OS may use the SSD/HDD for a swap file (not sure if OS X uses swap files, though), and the HDD swap file would definitely be slower than RAM. Plus keep in mind the Mac mini's video takes some of your RAM for it's use.

I just did not want to feel down the road that 4GB was not enough, since I'd have to replace both sticks of RAM. Having said that, I have yet to read on the Internets where someone stated that 4GB RAM was not enough.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
The SSD helps most with OS and program starting/closing, and file loading. CPU speed has more impact on program performance than RAM. If you don't have enough RAM though, the OS may use the SSD/HDD for a swap file (not sure if OS X uses swap files, though), and the HDD swap file would definitely be slower than RAM. Plus keep in mind the Mac mini's video takes some of your RAM for it's use.

I just did not want to feel down the road that 4GB was not enough, since I'd have to replace both sticks of RAM. Having said that, I have yet to read on the Internets where someone stated that 4GB RAM was not enough.

Take a look at the OWC web site>tech support>benchmarks. There are many analyses on different RAM setups in different Minis.

crusher372

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Well I am a new mac convert as well. Just picked up a new 2.4 mini and dropped in 4gb of ram. This little booger runs great. I am handbraking 15 movies, running WOW, and hacking away on the net with 5 windows open and this thing doesn't skip a beat. Not sure I will ever do anything worth the 8gb upgrade. 4 is the sweet spot for me it seems. (Fan is blazing along at 4000 rpm right now though :D )

Baby Mac

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
Take a look at the OWC web site>tech support>benchmarks. There are many analyses on different RAM setups in different Minis.
Mangrove, that was strong. Thanks for bringing it. [I do have Jim Rome is Burning on the TV right now]. I liked those benchmarks. Much easier to check out than ten charts involving 10 SSDs.

direct link

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Giuly, the math for your upgrades would be + $150 CPU + $220 RAM + $110 HDD + shipping + tax

Well, +$150 for the CPU, +$220 for the RAM, but he stated that he got the base model, which is 2x1GB, but his sig shows 4GB. For the 2x2GB DDR3 we go -$120.

+$370-$120 = +$250, we agree?

Now his 80GB Intel G2 is at least $190. The Momentus XT is $135. -$55?

$250-$55? Equals a total plus of $195. Add $5 for shipping and you arrive at the $200 I stated above.

-
And OWC should throw in some WD Scorpio Black benchmarks within. Even FW800 drives are much faster than Hitachis 5400RPM 2.5" drives.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
And OWC should throw in some WD Scorpio Black benchmarks within. Even FW800 drives are much faster than Hitachis 5400RPM 2.5" drives.

Agree. It seems within space limitations they just wanted to compare to stock untouched Mini with original drive. Maybe as soon as they add some other drive then it will never stop with people asking for this or that latest drive, but then again drive technology never sleeps.

Hey found this for you. Have a read.http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/585970/review/mercury_extreme_pro_re_200gb_ssd.html

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
I recently picked up a 17" 2.8GHz macbook pro from microcenter but it had an issue with the brightness making a horrible whiney noise so I returned it and went to the apple store and picked up the 24" LED ACD (colors looks juicy!!) and the 2.4GHz Mac Mini.

I just replaced the HDD in the Mac Mini and it was pretty difficult compared to the previous generation (non unibody!). But when I figured out how to get the HDD out by slightly sliding the I/O out all was good!

you put it SSD in there but it still has 2 GB RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.