Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Apple Store London - Regent Street opens this weekend, along with the announcement of two additional UK stores to open in the near future. In a statement Apple's senior vice president of retail Ron Johnson confirmed the company's plans to expand its European offerings. Johnson could only confirm the Birmingham and Kent stores will open "sometime in 2005", though his manner implied that Apple hopes to open in the new locations early in 2005.

Across the pond, Canada appears to be the next international candidate to receive a brick-and-mortar Apple Store. An email circulated by Apple Canada's National Channel and Business Development Manager reveals that Apple will be opening a new Apple Store based on the Apple Retail Concept in Toronto, Canada by mid-2005.
Apple Canada is announcing today that an Apple Branded Retail Store location will be opening in Toronto, mid year 2005.

Apple currently has ninety-six retail stores in the US, two in Japan, and one opening in London, England this weekend. The stores have been incredibly popular, attracting more than fifty million visitors since the first store was opened in May of 2001.

They provide great hands-on experience for customers, and we welcome the store to Canada as a great complement to our existing distribution channels.

If you have additional questions regarding the Apple Store in Canada, you may direct them to Marion Manalo at mmanalo@apple.com.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'm spoiled

AoWolf said:
Good if you live there.

i live in boston right between (10 and 15 min by car) two apple stores and god knows how many comp usa shops with an Apple department. never realized that for other people there is no close by location to get apple stuff and play with all the toys.

there should an apple store in every city worlwide! GO APPLE

andi

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I really wish the Negative Nancys of a particular subject would at least explain why they rated the story as such. I'm really curious...what could be bad about more folks having better access to Apple and Apple related merchandise?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Blue Moon said:
I really wish the Negative Nancys of a particular subject would at least explain why they rated the story as such. I'm really curious...what could be bad about more folks having better access to Apple and Apple related merchandise?

Either that, they had wanted the store to open say last year as opposed to it opening now. Maybe that is why they voted it negative.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
looks like i will have to go on a road trip from montreal to toronto, for the grand opening

also, for those who know the answer, how many of those apple surprise bags to they have in supply?

aethier

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
loneAzdgari said:
I live about 45 minutes from Bluewater in Kent! YES!
Me too - well I live in rural Essex and have to cross the Dartford bridge but I do go there fairly regularly so it'll be brilliant to have an Apple Store there. Bluewater is a really nice mall.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some Apple Stores in Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle in the near future either, or and maybe Bristol and the Oracle at Reading.

And a Paris store must be a real possibility sometime soon...

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
Montreal?

aethier said:
looks like i will have to go on a road trip from montreal to toronto, for the grand opening

aethier

I just emailed Marion Manalo and asked whether montreal is being considered for a future apple store. Also tried to make a bit of a case for that happening too, what with B. Mac sucking and closing anyways.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
serpico said:
Hope a Vancouver store is coming soon.

If Toronto's getting one, Vancouver can't be far behind - I'm surprised in some repsects that Tornto is receiving theirs before Vancouver, actually!

Regardless, both would be far away for me, but hey, at least I can ceck them out when I'm visiting the larger centers!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I hope Toronto Apple store is in Eaton centre or York Dale and NOT Vaughan - the majority of toronians do not have cars. Any Apple store should be accessible by the TTC. IF apple want to expand outside of the toronto area then Vaughan should come later.

As for the UK. Good to see Apple are opening a store in the centre of the country, Brum, and not just London ( everything just has to go in London, its f??king stupid).

Bristol would be a good location - The causeway (forgotten full name) shopping centre is quite a good place, certainly the best in the South west, by far.

I take it the Negatives to this story are from Yanks who don't want Apple stores in "Far flung corners of the world before their american city has an Apple store) ;-) (Remembering some bitching yank a few months ago).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
djfern said:
BAH. Toronto already has great Mac stores. I hope they open it in the burbs.
A few weeks ago I went to the one on Queen East, I was disappointed, though they had a 30" apple display - HUGE!!! Others stores are better. CPUsed is good.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Part of the story in Apple's retail announcements today is what Johnson confirmed about other European stores. From the BBC

Apple plans to open stores at the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent and Bullring complex in Birmingham in the next six months. Mr Johnson said there were plans to open stores in continental Europe in 2005.

emphasis added

The confirmation of continental European stores to open in 2005 at yet undisclosed locations is something that should interest mac fans in Paris, Berlin, and other continental capitals.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Stella,

Sounds like you went to Carbon Computing... they're pretty good actually. You could also try Computer Systems Centre at the s-w corner of College and Spadina. Not exclusively Mac, but a solid portion, with a lot of good Apple product and 3rd party accessories.

I think Apple should build a stand-alone flagship-type store here.
What am I talking about, of course I think that.

:D

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Stella said:
I hope Toronto Apple store is in Eaton centre or York Dale and NOT Vaughan - the majority of toronians do not have cars.
If you are talking households, I can almost guarantee that that's not true (and I can't imagine you'd say that after riding the DVP or 401 at rush hour). That said, it's true that many folks in the downtown area don't have cars.

Any Apple store should be accessible by the TTC.
That would be great in principle, but there are large portions of the Greater Toronto Area that aren't served by the TTC or any meaningful mass transit. The 'burbs around Toronto are huge, with large populations. It would be foolish of Apple not to address that potential market.

(Just to be clear, I am very pro mass transit, and I don't own a car myself.)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
An Apple store will open at Yorkdale and the new Vaughan Mills shopping mall. Why? Because Yorkdale is the 2nd busiest shopping mall in Canada, and like researchers have already shown Apple, 25% of Canada lives within 100 km of the Vaughan Mills location. ;)

Stella said:
I hope Toronto Apple store is in Eaton centre or York Dale and NOT Vaughan - the majority of toronians do not have cars. Any Apple store should be accessible by the TTC. IF apple want to expand outside of the toronto area then Vaughan should come later.

I take it you don't have a car. :p

raincoat

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2004
Southampton, UK
Bullring in Birmingham is next door

I go to Uni at Birmingham University so am about 10mins from the Bullring where the Apple store is going, Woo Woo!!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.