PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express and my home network situation

Inkmonkey
Nov 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
Great Confused Chimpanzees! I've read many of the threads on how to network with Airport Express but I still have some concerns and am somewhat confused. Thought maybe I'd throw out my details to the Macrumors Geniuses and get your advice.

Currently I have DSL with IP TV (like cable tv that runs over the telephone broadband connection). So to break down my network by floor:

Basement - This is where the DSL modem and switch are connected. I only have the 1 computer but the switch is necessary in order to provide the IP TV to the main floor. There is also a IP TV box in the basement but I haven't conencted it to a TV yet. The basement has a home networking box where all of the networking connections terminate. Came with the new house. That is why the modem and switch are in the basement.
In the futre I hope to connect another TV down here and also have a stereo streaming iTunes.

Main Floor - This is where the TV is and where one of the IP TV boxes in connected. This is also where our stereo is. So being able to stream iTunes to this area is key.

2nd Floor - This is where the lone computer is. My iMac G4. I hope to get an iBook in addition to it in the new year.

So how many Airport Expresses might I need? And any thoughts on how I work them into my current network. And remember to talk to me like I'm a 3 year old. ;)

emw
Nov 19, 2004, 01:12 PM
And remember to talk to me like I'm a 3 year old. ;)

Okay! :D

Can you tell me if the switch is really a router? No, not a "wouter," a "R-outer." That means that it will provide IP addresses, not just make sure traffic gets to the modem. Modem. The thing on the shelf with all the lights that you're not supposed to touch without your parents' permission.

Does each floor have wired ethernet access? That is, does each floor have a hole in the wall that looks kind of like a small version of Dora's backpack? It looks like the one that the phone cord you're always pulling on goes into, but a little bigger. But not as big as the cord you pull on that goes to the iron.

Is one of these holes close to the stereos? You know, the things where if you turn them on strange sounds come out that sound like dogs in heat, but your dad refers to as "rap," even though it doesn't come with presents?

If so, then buy two Airport Expresses. No not the drinks that make your mom act crazy - those are expressos. Yes, you can get those at the airport. No, I don't know why they made them sound the same. Plug them in next to the stereos. Yes, the dogs in heat things. Also, buy the special cables that connect them to your stereos. That way you can play the Disney Tunes CD instead of Eminem. No, not M&Ms. Yes, I know you're hungry and want a snack. Focus here.

Edit: I suppose you could buy a single Express and share it. Yes, like you share your toys with your sister. No, you don't have to wear lipstick just because she said so. Anyway, you probably won't listen to two stereos at one time. Just move the Express from one to the other.

Inkmonkey
Nov 19, 2004, 02:31 PM
Great Gaga Orangutans! Ah jeeze...guess I asked for that response. ;)

It is definitely a switch - not a router.

I don't think each floor has wired ethernet access. I need to double check that.

emw
Nov 19, 2004, 03:46 PM
Great Gaga Orangutans! Ah jeeze...guess I asked for that response. ;)

It is definitely a switch - not a router.

I don't think each floor has wired ethernet access. I need to double check that.

Sorry, I couldn't resist on a Friday afternoon. Besides, I HAVE a 3 year old, so it's all fresh in my mind.

If it is indeed a switch and not a router, then I'm not sure how the setup works - that is, the switch can only share the connection to the modem. Perhaps your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses, in which case it would work fine.

If it isn't wired throughout, then I'd get an Airport Base Station (or other wireless AP) and go through that with the Airport Express.

Is your iMac Airport-enabled? If it is, then sharing iTunes will be simple from there.