Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Hey guys, the deal is this. My i bought my Powerbook in Fl. 6 months ago, but i moved to Spain a months ago. So the region in my powerbook dvd player was set to 1. Now i wanted to watch a DVD here in Spain and i had to change it to region 2. But, all my DVDs (music DVD's.....movies..etc...) were bought in United States so everytime i want to watch one of my own DVDs or a European DVD i'll have to change de Region. It's OK with me IF I DIDn'T have a Limit. i can only change the region 4 more times. and this sucks!

Is there a Hack to avoid this?.....to set a Region 0 so that ALL DVD's Play in my powerbook?? or a hack that gives me illimited region changes?

i really need this. :(

thanks guys.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Nice, it makes me warm inside to know that people do things like this for a market segment of less than 5% of the computer users. I really like being a mac user, and I'm so glad that many others do too.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Thanks Wes......... i'm not sure....i mean...first i don't want to cause a problem in my powerbook.........and i don't want to loose my warranty, thanks for the help tho......you showed me a way to do what i wanted.....thanks for that......but i'd like something "safer" hehe

any ideas?.................

if this is my only solution, i'll change the DVD region to 1 (U.S.) and just watch the Region 2 DVD's on the play station (the cable company provided us with one for the full year we signed the contract with them.)

the thing with the region was that if i wanted to buy a DVD here i'd be in trouble. Well i guess i'll have to order it online or something. (IN CASE NOTHING ELSE POPS ON THIS - DVD Region solution thing.

Yotabyte

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Perth, Australia.
Can't you just get two pieces of DVD-playing software? One configged for the US region and the other one for Europe? Seems like a better alternative than your PS2 one. :p

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Yotabyte said:
Can't you just get two pieces of DVD-playing software? One configged for the US region and the other one for Europe? Seems like a better alternative than your PS2 one. :p

Sorry Yotabyte, i'm afraidd i didn't understand your proposal....would you explain it to me again hehe ..... with a little bit more Detail please.

Yotabyte

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Perth, Australia.
Just like you can use Windows Media Player *shudders* and iTunes to play .mp3's, you can use two different software programs to play DVD's. On this comp I have winDVD and I use Windows Media Player *shudders* to play DVD's. So basically, an option is to look into a second piece of legit software to play DVD's on and set that one to play DVD's from a certain region.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
Yotabyte said:
Just like you can use Windows Media Player *shudders* and iTunes to play .mp3's, you can use two different software programs to play DVD's. On this comp I have winDVD and I use Windows Media Player *shudders* to play DVD's. So basically, an option is to look into a second piece of legit software to play DVD's on and set that one to play DVD's from a certain region.

oh is that the way it's done? i thought that the Region was in the DVD (Hardware) or in the SYSTEM.......not in the player.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Jovian9 said:
If you don't mind me asking, what is VLC? Thanks!

VLC is a multimedia player, here's the link for you to check it out.

Not sure if having two separate DVD players on one system will work but might as well give it a try.

Another alternative, albeit very longwinded, is to strip the region settings from your DVD by using apps like MacTheRipper and then watching from backed up DVD.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Depends upon the Powerbook you have... If like me you have the 15inch 1.5Ghz tghen currently you're screwed, I moved from Australia to USA and have a mixture of both regions and am in a similar annoying situation.

It is because the firmware in the drive uses RPC-2 that prevents you from getting around the setting, using different players such as VLC as described above won't work due to the hardware based firmware. Hopefully some helpful soul will release a patched version of the firmware for my drive soon as currently I use my PB for my Australian DVD's and a standalone player for my American ones but I do a lot of travelling and would like to take them with me, plus it is just annoying as all heck in general.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Joeytpg said:
oh is that the way it's done? i thought that the Region was in the DVD (Hardware) or in the SYSTEM.......not in the player.

It is in the hardware. Yotabyte is wrong here. The software is just that, software that interprets and plays the data, it does not allow the reader to access a specific region itself. The region coding is built into the hardware and can be changed, however to my knowledge (limited) it cannot be turned off. Some players are all-region from the factory, usually the cheap ones that play all formats from BB or CC or like BnM store.

If you have a retail electronics store, or perhaps can mailorder something, look into getting a cheap DVD player (assuming you have another screen for playback. I know this doesn't solve your issue on your PBook, but it allows you play all regions of DVDs. Sorry the answer isn't better, its all I have currently, hope it helps :eek:

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
well i guess i need a DVD RW i could get one too....and it would play my DVD'S (External DVD's don't need to be in a certain region?? they play everytihng?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Joeytpg said:
External DVD's don't need to be in a certain region?? they play everytihng?
It still depends on the drive itself. However, if you can an external, you can use that on Region 2 and have built-in on Region 1 (or vice versa). If you want to watch a movie while on the move, and it's in a region other than the one on the built-in drive, you can rip it using DVDBackup or MacTheRipper and play it off the hard drive.

And in case you don't know how, those apps will make a decrypted, de-region-ed (if you want) and de-CSS-ed VIDEO_TS (or whatever name) on your hard drive. (see first pic)

Then, open DVD Player, and see the second pic. Make sure you open the folder with a .vob files in it.

Attachments

• yaybackup.jpg
    yaybackup.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 111
  • opensesame.jpg
    opensesame.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 77

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
munkle said:
VLC is a multimedia player, here's the link for you to check it out.

Not sure if having two separate DVD players on one system will work but might as well give it a try.

Another alternative, albeit very longwinded, is to strip the region settings from your DVD by using apps like MacTheRipper and then watching from backed up DVD.

Thanks for the info and link! I'll check it out.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i still don't get the region thing. (i mean the "WHY")

who gains what from something that only penalizes the costumer whitout even remotely "protecting" the content (assuming that that is the stated purpose)? what's the point?

cui prodest?

anybody who is interested (especially the "bad guys") can easily find and buy a no-code player, activate the no-code "secret" menu (all players that i ever dealt with have them) or use an hack for the computer drives.
Soon external drives are going to be so cheap, that the easiest way around will just to buy one for that purpose.
I'd like to see even one single shred of evidence that region coding does anything at all for the industry.

drop it already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.