PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Megastore hastily shifts iPod strategy

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2004, 01:25 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Virgin Megastore hastily shifts iPod strategy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041119142551)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

winmacguy
Nov 19, 2004, 02:29 PM
The internet is a powerful medium

nagromme
Nov 19, 2004, 02:52 PM
If Virgin is truly baiting people with an iPod sign and then pushing a Virgin player on them instead, expect Apple to pull out of Virgin real quick.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't agreements in place about how the iPod signage and branding could be used in proximity to non-iPod players. As in... I maybe it can't be used that way without grounds for legal action.

It could also be coincidental timing and mis-shelving at that one store, too.

Santaduck
Nov 19, 2004, 03:14 PM
interesting.... it's actually believable that his blog influenced virgin stores the world over....

wrldwzrd89
Nov 19, 2004, 03:25 PM
My question is this - if you're going to sell iPods, why aren't you carrying ALL models from the start? I would never buy an iPod from Virgin because they don't carry the iPod mini, which is stupid IMO, and they cross-promote the iPod with their own player, another bad move IMO which will only get them negative publicity. On the other hand, since I live in the USA, I can always go to my local Apple Store and get one there.

macnulty
Nov 19, 2004, 08:09 PM
Not really a "Virgin" iPod.

polyesterlester
Nov 19, 2004, 08:57 PM
...expect Apple to pull out of Virgin real quick.

Great, now I have the mental image of an Apple logo with a penis.

But keeping on track here, I seriously doubt that Bill Palmer's site influenced Virgin. And he doesn't just state that it's possible, he assumes that's what happened!

wrldwzrd89
Nov 19, 2004, 09:12 PM
Great, now I have the mental image of an Apple logo with a penis.

But keeping on track here, I seriously doubt that Bill Palmer's site influenced Virgin. And he doesn't just state that it's possible, he assumes that's what happened!
Unfortunately, Virgin (the company) tends to get picked on because of their name, in exactly the way you describe. I wonder if the bad PR this generates has any effect on their policies (including those pertaining to iPods).

shadowfax
Nov 19, 2004, 09:42 PM
crap, the other day, i farted, and mount saint helens erupted and killed thousands of people. that was one hell oof a fart!

right!