Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134439-news_corp_wordmark.jpg

CNBC reports that News Corp, the Rupert Murdoch-led media conglomerate behind such outlets as The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, and The New York Post, is considering launching a new news unit dedicated to content for tablet devices such as the iPad.
Sources close to the company tell me that the company is considering creating a new purely digital news play that would be designed for the app world and would be available through subscription on devices like the iPad.

This new digital news venture would incorporate text, photo and video, tailored for the iTunes app format .... neither a newspaper nor a news website -- it would not be based on any of News Corp's existing papers.
According to the report, News Corp could announce the new initiative within a month should it decided to officially move forward with it.

While News Corp has already established a precedent for subscription-based iPad content through its Web-administered offerings for The Wall Street Journal, other content providers seeking to deploy subscription-based content, such as Time Inc.'s Sports Illustrated magazine, have been butting heads with Apple, possibly over either revenue sharing or subscriber information sharing.

Fortune is another one of Time Inc.'s brands that has not been able to reach a deal with Apple for subscription pricing, as the magazine's iPad application rolled out today using a model similar to that employed by other content providers. The free download comes with a demo issue, but future issues will have to be purchased individually through the application at $4.99 per issue.

Article Link: News Corp Considering Dedicated News Product for Tablets

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
I don't think it's about the revenue sharing that Apple is withholding subscription option for Time Inc but rather the collection of user data.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B405 Safari/531.21.10)

Out freaking standing! I would love more quality FoxNews on my iPhone and iPad. Their iPhone app is already excellent by the way.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B405 Safari/531.21.10)

Out freaking standing! I would love more quality FoxNews on my iPhone and iPad. Their iPhone app is already excellent by the way.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't tell..

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I can get plenty of content for free or nearly so. Unless they bring something exceptional to the table -- unlikely give the News Corp track record -- I can't imagine why I'd subscribe.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Hmmm. Strange

You don't need a new division...the tablets (iPads) are just new devices for "web content". Thanks to the internet, content is already digital. Why can't the web teams just send the content to an app...

Must be semantics or just trying to promote the idea that they're focused on pads.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Place for App

Yeah, like, if you're not a member of JourNOlist, you're like a meany pants and like, not a real regime hitman, I mean, journolist, I mean, journalist.

HA.

I'm all for a new app, but it would seem like the different business units are overlapping each other. It'd be intersting to find what the App is going to provide that you cannot get from either Fox News App, Fox Business App and (for a fee) Wall Street Journal App.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.