Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightwish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
320 gb harddrive 15 inch i5 4gb macbook pro

windows xp on through bootcamp

Randomly freezes.. doesn't matter if i'm on a game or just google chrome/firefox, sometimes it happens every 12 hours, just now it happens twice in 10 minutes. Any generic solution to this? Googled and saw other threads mainly based around windows 7.

Any advice working towards my solution is appreciated.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Hello, Nightwish.

Have you updated to boot camp latest version?? I recently updated mine and ever since I've been getting freezes.

Welcome to Macrumors Forums.

Nightwish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I'm not even sure, however it's heavily upsetting that this is happening.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Perhaps the problem with drivers on the video adapter.
Download the latest official driver from NVidia and use an application called RIVATUNER to force a fixed performance level of "low-power 3D".

Update Driver
1. Download and install the latest NVIDIA driver from here.

RivaTuner
1. Download and install RivaTuner from here.

Magic
1. Open RivaTuner and switch to the "Power User" tab.
2. Expand the "RivaTuner\NVIDIA\Overclocking" Tree.
3. Set "EnablePerfLevelForcing" to 1.
4. Switch to the "Main" tab.
5. Under "Driver settings" click on the small arrow left to "Customize..." and choose the first icon "System settings".
6. Set "Force constant performance level" to either "low power 3D" (suffient for 2D audio work) or "performance 3D" (used for 3D gaming).
7. Click OK and let the computer restart.

superliu

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Calgary
Me too

I brought my Macbook pro 2 weeks ago, and I have having the same problem too. Windows xp crashes (white screen) randomly, sometimes a few hours, sometimes every few minutes.

Has anyone tried the MacKeeperFanMod method? Does it work??

Please help!

kcevans

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Same Problem Here I gave up and have been using Windows 7 , but it still has issues. Its rather disappointing the have this happen, makes you consider the choice.:mad:

Nightwish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
This is legitimately starting to piss me off.. It's happened 3-4 times today alone, whilst somedays not at all. I thought Mac would be sick but evidently couldn't deliver the best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.