Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I thought Steam was coming out with a new Mac game every week ? Could Steam be holding off till the graphic issues with OS X 10.4.6 are fixed ?

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
you are ridiculous. are you kidding me? do you think making mac games or convert from windows is easy? NO. it takes a while. I don't mean that I am disrespect to you. but any kind of programming is not piece of cake as you think because you are not developer. then you have no idea how to do that. don't complain. mac game? that's funny. do you want to play games, why don't you run bootcamp for windows to do that? don't wait. even Steam tries to work hard. it's not like every week. you just make me shock.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
you just make me shock.

Yeah! Plutonious, you were so out line, you just make him shock.

in other news. i have been perusing the steam forums, and it seems as if they are indeed holding off until a performance patch is released. another rumour is they're trying to port over some other big games and running a bit behind schedule. i agree though that the games they have come out (save for source based shooteers) have been kind of lackluster.

that new blimp-pirate-shipping shooting game seems pretty sweet though.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I thought Steam was coming out with a new Mac game every week ? Could Steam be holding off till the graphic issues with OS X 10.4.6 are fixed ?

No, they weren't. Not continuously though, that only lasted the first month or so. Now they're working on games and releasing them as they can, in addition to work on Portal 2.

xi mezmerize ix

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
Maryland, USA
I don't really have anything to say about steam because I dont' use it too often but...

I think it is kind of ridiculous that anyone would make fun of someone because English isn't their first language. I for one find my college major, Biochemistry, a lot easier than taking one class of any foreign language. I respect anyone that can learn another language because I find it extremely difficult, even though some refer to me as a "genius" (I don't really agree with this) in college. At least this guy can communicate with people from other parts of the world.

BenXiaoHai

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
I do agree that Valve did not promise to release games weekly. But steam for Mac seems to really have lost a bit of steam, as the OP suggested. If not, it sure has been awfully quiet for a few weeks. There used to be so much hype around big releases, such as TF2. Even though it got delayed and we had to wait, at least we knew it was coming real soon. To create more steam, Valve could probably start hyping the L4D series. Moreover, 3rd party games are really not contributing enough. I suppose Valve expected more participation from 3rd party developers, but I guess you can't blame anyone for this as of now (probably Apple for the drivers 'update').

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It does seem quiet on the Steam front. No word about unported Source games, very few new games released with Steam Play. The only bit of news we've heard is regarding documentation to help port games to OSX.

I did expect a lot more 3rd party games at this point.

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
L4D2 is up and running. Not ready for release yet.

to let you guys know - he works for Valve. And he's pretty awesome because he interacts with all of us Mac gamers and understands how exciting it is for us.

They were originally hoping to releas a game every week, but they dropped that idea because Valve has very high standards of quality - which usually means delays. It's just something newcomers to Valve's universe of gaming have to get used to. Be patient!

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Im sure Value has a lot on their plate. I for one am just happy that Steam was released for Mac because for many years, Aspyr was the only developer you could expect fun games from. Don't know what happened to them though..

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
It does seem quiet on the Steam front. No word about unported Source games, very few new games released with Steam Play. The only bit of news we've heard is regarding documentation to help port games to OSX.

I did expect a lot more 3rd party games at this point.

It's only been a few months guys. Be patient. It take years to develop a game and it can take months more to port it over. Also the companies are letting Valve test the water first before jumping in. I believe it will be at LEAST 2 years before gaming is even comparable on a Mac. We still need better drivers for our GPUs, better support for the GPUs from Apple, better drivers for hardware and adaptation of the new OpenGL to replace DirectX. It will take time, but it will happen.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
My intent was not to criticize Steam and I realize development takes time. What I'm concerned with, like some of the other posters, is the seeming lack of third party software being added to Steam. Ports do take time but, there are still many Mac titles that could be added almost immediately to Steam. I could see the state of the Mac drivers making companies think twice about porting a Windows game to OS X but Steam should be able to at least add much of the current OS X games to it's store.

Look back on the post when Steam first came out. Many people even thought they would finally be able to delete bootcamp off their Macs :). Maybe my expectations and others expectations were much to high but I know I feel somewhat disappointed. Still, many thanks to Valve for porting the titles they did.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's only been a few months guys. Be patient. It take years to develop a game and it can take months more to port it over. Also the companies are letting Valve test the water first before jumping in. I believe it will be at LEAST 2 years before gaming is even comparable on a Mac. We still need better drivers for our GPUs, better support for the GPUs from Apple, better drivers for hardware and adaptation of the new OpenGL to replace DirectX. It will take time, but it will happen.

I absolutely understand, infact if I still ran my own indie dev studio I'd be porting my games over too. However, some games use middleware engines that already can export mac-compatible games. Unity, Unreal Engine, Source... a lot of games are also available on Windows Steam and on Mac, just oddly enough not on Mac Steam! Damn publishers.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I absolutely understand, infact if I still ran my own indie dev studio I'd be porting my games over too. However, some games use middleware engines that already can export mac-compatible games. Unity, Unreal Engine, Source... a lot of games are also available on Windows Steam and on Mac, just oddly enough not on Mac Steam! Damn publishers.

I agree that it's probably the publishers but is Steam actively going to the publishers or is Steam waiting on the publishers to come to them ?

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I agree that it's probably the publishers but is Steam actively going to the publishers or is Steam waiting on the publishers to come to them ?

I wonder that myself. Call of Duty 4 is one of the highest profile omissions. Thankfully I didn't wait for Steam. Just bought it on Amazon.

Venkman90

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
Well it's tricky as Aspyr own so many of the mac ports (COD4 for example) and have been selling them online for ages. They won't like Steam coming in and selling them cheaper unless Valve pay them a damn site more than they would make just keeping the rights.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Well it's tricky as Aspyr own so many of the mac ports (COD4 for example) and have been selling them online for ages. They won't like Steam coming in and selling them cheaper unless Valve pay them a damn site more than they would make just keeping the rights.

The Mac version of Civilization IV that's being sold on Steam actually is the port made by Aspyr. Makes you indeed wonder why they are not putting the rest of their portfolio on Steam.

Anyway, at the moment I just want to see Left4Dead, Left4Dead 2 and Half-Life:Source (the original Half-Life).

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
The Mac version of Civilization IV that's being sold on Steam actually is the port made by Aspyr. Makes you indeed wonder why they are not putting the rest of their portfolio on Steam.

Anyway, at the moment I just want to see Left4Dead, Left4Dead 2 and Half-Life:Source (the original Half-Life).

There was some sort of licensing loophole that let 2K Games publish the Digital Version of the Macintosh Port on Steam. Which is why there's no mention of Aspyr on the steam store page. As I understand it Aspyr isn't super happy about it being up, and gets no revenue from it.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia

Would be great to see all those games soon. In the meantime Killing Floor is out and it scratches the zombie itch.

Finally playing Half-Life 2 on my iMac. What an epic game. Runs just fine too.

Loving Steam on Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.