PDA

View Full Version : buying an ibook form uae

Gokhan
Nov 19, 2004, 06:31 PM
hi

i have been told by a friends sister who works in uae that theres a an ibook for sale there but how would i conduct this deal i have sellers email.

if i brought thru paypal would my credit card cover the purchase seen as this is 1100$ shipped to uk.

what protection do i have and how should i do this deal ? any help would be gratefull !!!!!!

varmit
Nov 19, 2004, 09:14 PM
uae, what does that stand for. I know ebay, not uae. Like any thing else, when you buy it online from someone else, you can always get ripped off. Just make sure that the plug can handle the UK voltage. We have already heard of the people buying iMacs in the USA and frying them in the UK.

rccola70
Nov 19, 2004, 09:17 PM
UAE = United Arab Emirates

Maybe?

kiwi-in-uk
Nov 19, 2004, 09:25 PM
For what it's worth ...

Don't use paypal and don't use credit card unless it's an encrypted site - i.e. don't send credit card numbers via email.

Unless you know someone in U.A.E. (presumably Dubai) who can pick it up and ship it the whole thing sounds a bit risky - not necessarily a reflection on this particular seller, but a reflection on how many other people are being conned across borders (see elswhere on Macrumors for examples).

jsw
Nov 19, 2004, 09:27 PM
If it were me, I'd stay away from buying a laptop - or anything expensive - from a foreign country. It might be legit, but, if it isn't, you're screwed. 4 times out of 5 you might be fine, but your total loss that 5th time pretty much removes most of the benefit of not buying locally.

Gokhan
Nov 20, 2004, 07:12 PM
cheers guys

got email from seller

ebay rating is good and whoever he or she is has brought an imac g5 and powerbook from ebay.

just to clear confusion united arab emirites is the country where he or she is working !

i will check with my bank to see if credit card covers purchase if paypal does not and then i will go for it !

what do u say ?