Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
For starters I totally love this little toy. Worth the price.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting these two items to work together.

I finally got iPhoto to print stuff on it but iPhoto does not scale the picture right to be borderless like the Epson software. So I get white edges on each side (two opposite sides not all four)

The Apple store claims they can do it (and I hope to get proof tonight) but I was wandering if MacRumors users had any good results or if like me they resigned themselves to the stock software (which in itself is ugly - but very user friendly and functional)

Iriejedi

jZilla

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
London
I bought my GF the Picturemate to print from iPhoto on her iBook.

From the flashmemory it is a flawless bit of kit - great quality and I'm very pleased BUT, and it's a big one, from iPhoto it is a world of pain.

I also get the top and left border but also can't fathom how to get the picture to scale like it does when printed from the card.

It's essential this gets solved for me as the picturemate wants to help me by printing an index (or it's awkward trying to guess what pic I actually want!) and that would run to 7-8 index prints.

If I can get iPhoto and the Picturemate playing ball I'll be most pleased :)

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
iriejedi said:
For starters I totally love this little toy. Worth the price.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting these two items to work together.

I finally got iPhoto to print stuff on it but iPhoto does not scale the picture right to be borderless like the Epson software. So I get white edges on each side (two opposite sides not all four)

The Apple store claims they can do it (and I hope to get proof tonight) but I was wandering if MacRumors users had any good results or if like me they resigned themselves to the stock software (which in itself is ugly - but very user friendly and functional)

Iriejedi

Hi,

I'm not familiar with that printer, but have you tried cropping the image to whatever size you're trying to print? In iPhoto, once you're in Edit mode, there's a Constrain drop down box, an a Crop button. Set the size you want in the Constrain drop down (4x6, I'm guessing) and a frame with the maximum amount of image selected that will fit a 4x6 print will be selected. Now you can move that frame around (the cursor looks like a hand with the index finger extended) or, if you click outside the frame you can click and drag a new frame, so you can, in effect, "zoom in" on a certain part of your image. Now the 4x6 constraint is called "postcard", and it's in landscape (horizontal) orientation. If you want to print a portrait (vertical) type of image, just click on "Constrain as portrait" at the very bottom of the drop down box. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Marc

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
IPhso and PM do work

DITTO
{figured I'd sharew with everyone the solution to PM and iPhoto}

Hi There -

Probablem was totally soled with a brief visit to the genius bar at an apple Store - it had to do with setting the Page set up to

a) Pitcture Mate
b) 4X6

that was the obvious step but the KEY was learning a little more about iPhoto.

Open up an image you want to print then in the bottom LEFT of the screen there is a thing titled 'constraints' - chose "4X6 postcard" and this is a crop feature highlight your area and chose CROP. Presto a image ready for Picturemate. It was a little quarky when you chose print - if you have more then one printer it tends to reset to default alot. Just keep an eye for that... or set PM as default.

Don't worry about how your crop it. I discovered that a feature in iPhoto NEVER loses the original image - even after you crop/edit it there is an option on the top menus to revert to original image.

All edits will go away. I do not know about you but to me this was like the BEST feature of iPhoto. I always fear losing my original file. :)

Let me know if this helps. I am already on my third ink cartridge! I love it!

alancookie

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2006
Researching this topic for a client...it appears that you have to set the paper size in the Page Setup first. I've yet to try this, but thought I'd pass along since I found this thread while trying to solve this problem.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Even more important than that....

alancookie said:
Researching this topic for a client...it appears that you have to set the paper size in the Page Setup first. I've yet to try this, but thought I'd pass along since I found this thread while trying to solve this problem.

Problem was solved with that step you suggested

AND

Photos MUST be cropped with the iPhoto Crop feature to 4X6 Potscard

That will solve all the problems.... many hundreds of prints off this litttle guy.

I hope this helps you out.

Iriejedi

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
alancookie said:

Exactly. I bought the picturemate with my $100 rebate when I bought the mini last year. It took me a few prints to realize it back then, but that's all you have to do. Make sure you set print/paper size as 4x6 borderless in iPhoto and then it works like a charm. Also, make sure that your pictures are the correct ratio- you may need to trim some of them.

An awesome, awesome printer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.