Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namanhams

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Hi,

I think as long as that framework doesn't use undocumented API, it should be no problem.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
The iPhone programming class at Stanford actually recommends the JSON framework. Just make sure you don't link it dynamically. Either copy the source files themselves into your project, or include it as a static library.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
There are a few different JSON options you can use. Here is an interesting performance comparison:

http://samsoff.es/posts/updated-iphone-json-benchmarks

Note that the Apple JSON framework is private and cannot be used.

Its also worth noting that if you have control over the server side API and are able ti serve up your data in binary plist format, its an order of magnitude faster to both download and parse (there is some good data on this in one of the WWDC videos although I can't remember which im afraid.).

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
There are a few different JSON options you can use. Here is an interesting performance comparison:

http://samsoff.es/posts/updated-iphone-json-benchmarks

Note that the Apple JSON framework is private and cannot be used.

Its also worth noting that if you have control over the server side API and are able ti serve up your data in binary plist format, its an order of magnitude faster to both download and parse (there is some good data on this in one of the WWDC videos although I can't remember which im afraid.).

I'm definitely going to try out the Touch JSON framework, but does apple approve applications that use it in their app store?

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
I'm definitely going to try out the Touch JSON framework, but does apple approve applications that use it in their app store?

Yes, there is nothing stopping you from using third-party libraries as long as you statically link to them or import the source directly into your project. Its only dynamic linking and use of private Apple frameworks and APIs that is not allowed.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes, there is nothing stopping you from using third-party libraries as long as you statically link to them or import the source directly into your project. Its only dynamic linking and use of private Apple frameworks and APIs that is not allowed.

Unless the library you link to is an Adobe Flash runtime, or something Apple thinks is similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.