Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceshimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
After read some threads regarding to people's new imac with yellow tint/ buzz noise/and other issues related to the screen. i decide to unboxing imac in APPLE STORE and give it a test to make sure i do not bring issues home.

i understand most imacs are free of issues, what i read here is just a small group of people. but after had 2 faulty Alienware laptops returned to DELL, i have to be careful to any computer manufacturer.

However, as a newbie, i have no idea what should i do to test it in APPLE STORE. So any ideas?

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009
Prepare yourself a set of white, few grey and the test picture used in this forum as a slide show in the screen size (1920x1080, or 2540x1440) and look at them carefully in the store. You can do it almost anywhere.
But the best way is to take computer home and play with it in peace (do not install all the things you plan to install, just watch and listen and play with).

Tom B.

iread

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Prepare yourself a set of white, few grey and the test picture used in this forum as a slide show in the screen size (1920x1080, or 2540x1440) and look at them carefully in the store. You can do it almost anywhere.
But the best way is to take computer home and play with it in peace (do not install all the things you plan to install, just watch and listen and play with).

Tom B.

Please can you add a link for those test images as I could not find them .. Thank you.

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009
Please can you add a link for those test images as I could not find them .. Thank you.

Some of them should be somewhere at the top of this thread. You could create uniform grey in a similar way (I think uniform grey is better for tests, but this is just MHO).

Tom B.

ceshimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010

Tom B.

if i tested out yellow tint or dead/bright pixels in store, will they exchange a new one to me straight away or i have to leave it in store and wait for replacement at home?

if they r not exchange straight away, i will take it home and do all the test.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
If you go in thinking you will have a problem screen, you are going to see something that makes you think you have a problem. Reverse placebo effect.

ceshimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
If you go in thinking you will have a problem screen, you are going to see something that makes you think you have a problem. Reverse placebo effect.

well, if i am going to buy something else, i would not concern too much. However, the iMac is famous for its yellow tint or issues relate to screen from last year, i can not take it too easy.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
If it's any consolation, since Apple's production halt on 27" iMacs in February, there have been far fewer complaints about the yellow gradient on this forum and Apple's discussion board. As I understand it, however, they did nothing to fix the 21.5" models.

ceshimm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
well, that's good to hear. i will try a purchase next week see if i am lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.