Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
So I received my Power Support full kit today. Just had a chance to open it...

I have always been an anti-glare man through my other iPhones. Sure there was a bit of overall clarity loss, but my OCD tendencies would not allow me to use a crystal film or no film at all. I was really excited to learn that PS was changing their anti-glare to be "compatible with the retina display". I of course knew that it would mess with the overall awesomeness of the display to some degree...

But this is HORRIBLE!! I can say with the utmost sense of sureness that this anti-glare protector is WORSE and MORE GRAINY then the previous 3g/3gs products. When they say compatible they must mean "sits on top of" or something. It's a sad night coming to the realization that I will be constantly wiping fingerprints and grease away :(

The crystal is a great product BTW. Just not fit for someone like me :eek:

Cool story bro - sweet blog - yeah yeah

GDVI

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
It probably just SEEMS worse because the screen is a lot better.

percept

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
why would any film NOT be compatible with the retina display? it's a piece of plastic you stick on the screen....not an app.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
It probably just SEEMS worse because the screen is a lot better.

I wish that were the case my man. Even if it isn't worse because the retina rocks it still SUCKS and clearly has not been changed/improved in any way/shape/form.

So disappointed :( At least I didn't get just an anti-glare kit.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
why would any film NOT be compatible with the retina display? it's a piece of plastic you stick on the screen....not an app.

Exactly why I took that to mean that it had somehow been improved upon and therefore didn't create that grainy effect as much.

Couldn't be more wrong to assume that. Of course you know what they say when you assume... :p

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010

Holy Christ in heaven, I'm not the only one with logical thinking.

On a side note, F PS and their order status/shipping process.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
So when I saw the title, I was thinking it was going to be about something the lines of "hahahaha, I saw that advertised X screen protector as being compatible with the retina display. What ********! That like saying my sunglasses are compatible with the sun! Of course its compatible!"

*facepalm*

Glad marketing ploys are working on people still

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
On a side note, F PS and their order status/shipping process.

Why?

I ordered Yesterday.

They shipped and notified Today.

I should receive it Tomorrow (west coast).

Had apple not stripped protectors from their stores or refused to provide accessory makers with specs we probably wouldn't have this problem.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Why?

I ordered Yesterday.

They shipped and notified Today.

I should receive it Tomorrow (west coast).

Had apple not stripped protectors from their stores or refused to provide accessory makers with specs we probably wouldn't have this problem.

Well that's great you did. I ordered 3 days ago and still not a shipping notification. They won't answer my emails OR their customer service line.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Well that's great you did. I ordered 3 days ago and still not a shipping notification. They won't answer my emails OR their customer service line.

I got you both beat.

I PREORDERED on 7/22 and finally got it today (when it should have shipped Monday). And all 3 of my emails went unanswered.

Never again. PS must be getting their customer service training from SGP :rolleyes:

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Sorry bub...

Took it off after about 5 minutes of looking at it. Completely crapping up one of the best features of my brand new ip4 is not an option :)

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
PS must be getting their customer service training from SGP :rolleyes:

Ha - I think you're right about this. I sent them an email a couple of days ago and never got a response. Come to think of it I had sent them an email a while back when I had a problem with one of my old screen protectors for my 3gs or my touch and they never got back to me then either. What's with these companies and their lack of customer service?

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I got you both beat.

I PREORDERED on 7/22 and finally got it today (when it should have shipped Monday). And all 3 of my emails went unanswered.

Never again. PS must be getting their customer service training from SGP :rolleyes:

Same with me, they answered the phone after many attempts but never once returned my emails. Mine might be delivered today as the USPS system says it arrived but not out for delivery. Then it will be Monday instead.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Good info. I decided to use a screen protector and I'll keep looking for a solution. On my 3GS I put up with the reduction in quality but I'm not so sure this time...

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Same with me, they answered the phone after many attempts but never once returned my emails. Mine might be delivered today as the USPS system says it arrived but not out for delivery. Then it will be Monday instead.

Unlike UPS & FedEx, USPS is only required to scan packages at the time of delivery (hence the name of their service "delivery confirmation" and not "tracking"). That's why it's not uncommon to to have any tracking info appear until it's actually delivered. It's really hit or miss with USPS packages. Sometimes you'll get a few updates along the way, and sometimes nothing at all until it's delivered (I order a LOT of stuff online).

You'll probably get your package today if you have a recent update indicating that it was received by your post office or a nearby station.

Chunkycat

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
I got my kit yesterday without anyshipping notifications from PS. Wasn't that excited about the anti-glare as I didn't even like it on my 3gs. But yeah, it looked awful! It was a little tough to properly align it and it really sucked that after all the efforts I removed it a minute after I put it on.
The crystal film looks good though. I like it. And I think it attracts less fingerprints than just bare screen.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
You know what would be helpful. If you're gonna trash it anyway you should apply the old AG and the new AG landscape and take a picture on the iPhone 4 and 3GS.

JuiceZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
I received my PS anti-glare protector yesterday, installed then removed it shortly there after. As the OP said, it causes an extremely grainy image ruining one of the main features of the new phone. Highly recommend against it unless you really hate finger prints at the cost of lowered image quality. Very disappointed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.