PDA

View Full Version : A Powerbook Problem and Question

Cvstos
Nov 20, 2004, 12:18 AM
I was wondering if any had experienced these problems before or knows what to do about them.

First, my DVD drive seems to be defective. It's "arm" (or whatever you call it) will not "grab" the disks I try to feed it. It sometimes works, but most of the time does not. This is very annoying. Are there any knows issues with this, or any known solutions? (Note: My PowerBook is well out of warranty.)

Next, the question. I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the hard disk of the Titanium Powerbook, and where I would go to purchase the upgrade. 40GB sounded like a lot, but it seems I have to "clean house" quite frequently to keep a good amount free. Any ideas there?

dotnina
Nov 20, 2004, 02:23 AM
I don't know what to say about the DVD issue, but about the hard disk ...

What's taking up those 40 gigs? Do you keep archives of things on there? If so, you might want to consider getting an external hard drive. That way, you could keep only "current" things on your laptop's HD. I don't have an external hard drive of my own, but I'm sure that if you're interested, lots of people on here will offer their recommendations.

HiRez
Nov 20, 2004, 03:43 AM
Next, the question. I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the hard disk of the Titanium Powerbook, and where I would go to purchase the upgrade. 40GB sounded like a lot, but it seems I have to "clean house" quite frequently to keep a good amount free. Any ideas there?
The Hitachi 7K60 is an excellent replacement drive, I have one in my TiBook. 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, same battery life, same heat generation (and thus the fan comes on the same amount), and even quieter than my stock drive. Had it for well over a year running all day every day and no problems. If you can live with 60 GB, it's excellent.