PDA

View Full Version : Wife got drunk at DMB concert last night dropped iP4 3 times, Bumper saved phone

aneftp
Jul 31, 2010, 07:06 AM
We are in Palm beach this weekend so I will have to post pic of the damage down to her Apple Orange Bumper when I get back tomorrow.

While I was back at hotel taking care of our newborn. Wife and her girlfriends attended Dave Matthews Band Concert last night.

I knew she was really drunk when she got back. She's already clumsy even when sober with phones.

I examined the iPhone 4 this morning. There were like 2 major dents in the Orange Bumper. First she
denied dropping the phone. But these marks on the orange bumper are so obvious she finally admitted dropping it on concrete at least 3 times last night.

I examined phone closely and thank god there is no damage to the phone itself.

I will post a pic when we get back tomorrow since I don't have a computer with me to upload to macrumors.

But I felt she got real lucky reading other people's horror stories about glass breaking with minor drops.

Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan, although I have been to one of their concerts and they do sound good live. But they have a huge following. Saw signs of fans everywhere in Palm Beach and our hotel on the Beach was completely booked for the weekend.

DanggxAmanda
Jul 31, 2010, 07:09 AM
Watched a YouTube video the other day where the guy dropped his phone with a bumper from various heights. Lasted all the falls until he tried a 23 ft. drop. But still superb protection!

illutionz
Jul 31, 2010, 07:10 AM
Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan, although I have been to one of their concerts and they do sound good live. But they have a huge following. Saw signs of fans everywhere in Palm Beach and our hotel on the Beach was completely booked for the weekend.

Thank goodness for bumper ;) but it's better if DMB stopped singing altogether ;)

aneftp
Jul 31, 2010, 07:15 AM
Thank goodness for bumper ;) but it's better if DMB stopped singing altogether ;)

Yeah. I heard this was their 20th year. They are taking a "break" next year. So their die hard fans like my wife are buying and selling out their concerts for this year.

illutionz
Jul 31, 2010, 07:17 AM
Yeah. I heard this was their 20th year. They are taking a "break" next year. So their die hard fans like my wife are buying and selling out their concerts for this year.

Great way to get more ticket sold :o

Darn DMB ;);)

aneftp
Jul 31, 2010, 07:19 AM
Watched a YouTube video the other day where the guy dropped his phone with a bumper from various heights. Lasted all the falls until he tried a 23 ft. drop. But still superb protection!

The guy probably purchased his iPhone 4 with AMEX which allows for "accidental damage" 90 day warranty. So a he has to do is take it to Apple, pay the $200 for new/refurb and apple will take his damaged iPhone 4. American express will just reimburse him for the $200.

That's the only way I would play the how high can I drop the iPhone 4 with Bumper before it breaks.

Irish Rose
Jul 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sounds like the bumper worked out well in her case, and a good thing that she didn't crack the screen.

RichBrewski
Jul 31, 2010, 07:25 AM
The guy probably purchased his iPhone 4 with AMEX which allows for "accidental damage" 90 day warranty. So a he has to do is take it to Apple, pay the $200 for new/refurb and apple will take his damaged iPhone 4. American express will just reimburse him for the $200.

That's the only way I would play the how high can I drop the iPhone 4 with Bumper before it breaks.

Actually (assuming we are talking about the same videos) he is sponsored by some iPhone fixer website, so he just took it to them and had it fixed for free.

nasa25
Jul 31, 2010, 07:28 AM
The real tragedy here is having to endure hours of DMB. Dropping the iPhone pales in comparison.

DynaFXD
Jul 31, 2010, 07:30 AM
but it's better if DMB stopped singing altogether ;)

+1 The 90's called, they don't want their band back either and say that we can keep them :( Drinking too much to the point of coordination issues is one of the things that AA will point out to indicate you may have a problem. However, going to a DMB concert (or Phil Collins I suppose) AND getting that smashed is a sure fire sign. I wonder what the phone ever did to anyone else to deserve such abuse?

j/k :D

DynaFXD
Jul 31, 2010, 07:35 AM
Actually (assuming we are talking about the same videos) he is sponsored

Not to mention, others just have a lot of disposable income to jerk around with. Buy a boat over, say, 26 feet and the cost of that one iP4 with ETF will seem like afternoon cocktails. Yet, marinas are filled with the fiberglass financial disasters in waiting (don't ask me how much it cost me just to SELL mine :(

illutionz
Jul 31, 2010, 07:56 AM
+1 The 90's called, they don't want their band back either and say that we can keep them :( Drinking too much to the point of coordination issues is one of the things that AA will point out to indicate you may have a problem. However, going to a DMB concert (or Phil Collins I suppose) AND getting that smashed is a sure fire sign. I wonder what the phone ever did to anyone else to deserve such abuse?

j/k :D

You know, I really love many many artists from the 90s (Phil Collins included) but DMB was terrible back in the 90s and they are terrible now. Nothing has changed ;)

bobbba
Jul 31, 2010, 07:57 AM
SHhhh, you'll upset the conspiracy theorists who want you to believe that the sole purpose of the bumper is to resolve the antenna issue...

Deppe
Jul 31, 2010, 08:27 AM
SHhhh, you'll upset the conspiracy theorists who want you to believe that the sole purpose of the bumper is to resolve the antenna issue...

SHhhh, you'll upset the fanboys who want you to believe that there is no such thing as the antenna issue...

samcraig
Jul 31, 2010, 09:03 AM
If my wife dropped her phone once I'd let it go
The second time, if she dropped it at a concert - I'd take it away from her :)

There would be no third time LOL

Loki666
Jul 31, 2010, 09:14 AM
Wow she sounds like a real winner

SophiaLee
Jul 31, 2010, 09:17 AM
Can't believe all the people ripping on DMB! I love them.

aneftp
Jul 31, 2010, 10:15 AM
If my wife dropped her phone once I'd let it go
The second time, if she dropped it at a concert - I'd take it away from her :)

There would be no third time LOL

Yeah. Just met up with one of her girlfriends for brunch. Her girlfriend did say she took the iPhone away after the third drop. She was afraid my wife would lose the phone. She said the last time it was dropped wife couldn't reach down underneath a concert seat and it slid down 2 other chairs. It's a good thing it was an orange bumper because she was able to locate the phone.

ViPhone
Jul 31, 2010, 10:18 AM
Was at that concert last night too. Going back today for round two. Two nights of DMB + my birthday. Can we say awesome weekend? :D

JeffLebowski41
Jul 31, 2010, 10:23 AM
drunk out of control woman at a dmb show? frankly I'm shocked.

Ferris23
Jul 31, 2010, 10:46 AM

Mind posting a link, I'd love to see those. I love my bumper. :)

mytakeontech
Jul 31, 2010, 12:31 PM
Did you check whether she dropped herself while drunk? Otherwise iP4, it is just a phone!

spyda
Jul 31, 2010, 12:39 PM
Damn, you're in PB posting on mac rumors while your wife is out partying having a good time. **** your life, eh?

truazn
Jul 31, 2010, 12:40 PM
There goes her priveleges.

KentuckyHouse
Jul 31, 2010, 12:59 PM
Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan, although I have been to one of their concerts and they do sound good live.

but it's better if DMB stopped singing altogether ;)

The real tragedy here is having to endure hours of DMB. Dropping the iPhone pales in comparison.

+1 The 90's called, they don't want their band back either and say that we can keep them :(

You know, I really love many many artists from the 90s (Phil Collins included) but DMB was terrible back in the 90s and they are terrible now. Nothing has changed ;)

Damn, what's with all the DMB smack-talking??? Jeez.

And illutionz, to compare DMB to Phil Collins (and I liked Phil) is just stupid. DMB was absolutely NOT terrible in the 90's (they've never been terrible) and to say that is just uninformed.

OP, I agree with the other poster that said it. After she admitted to 3 drops, her iPhone 4 rights get revoked! Take that thing away before it's too late!

aneftp
Jul 31, 2010, 01:40 PM
Damn, you're in PB posting on mac rumors while your wife is out partying having a good time. **** your life, eh?

Once you get married, lots of compromises. Plus she had baby 7 weeks ago and has been home all the time with newborn. Women will go a little crazy with little one at home.

I work all the time so she's the one handling baby duties most of the time.

Can't take iPhone away from her. She's addicted to it. If she loses it, she will just buy another one. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) I make more than enough where money isn't an issue

But she is careless with electronics. I also call her the "black widow of laptops". If another laptop dies I am getting her a cheap Acer (she hates acers). Every laptop I give her dies within a year
also. They are my hand me downs. But I usually by top end equipment so a one year laptop is still very up to date.

rdowns
Jul 31, 2010, 01:43 PM
Better she drops the iPhone and not the kid.

DarkAether
Jul 31, 2010, 01:47 PM
Did you check whether she dropped herself

He did say her bumper was scratched and dented.

thaddeusbear
Jul 31, 2010, 03:42 PM
Once you get married you make sacrifices.

SmittS
Jul 31, 2010, 03:49 PM
Better look into getting a bumper for the newborn.

makefunnyfaces
Jul 31, 2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear about the phone dropping, but at least it's not dented/scratched!

As for DMB, I love them. Dave has an odd/different voice, but there's something about the live shows that's amazing. :)

swburks
Jul 31, 2010, 07:08 PM
Glad to hear the iP4 is ok. Funny but I was at that concert and it was amazing. I must have seen 100's of iPhone 4s recording the concert and %50 of them didn't have cases on them. Scary. It rained for 30 to 45 minutes before the lead in band even started. I left my phone in the car.

teezee09
Jul 31, 2010, 07:56 PM
Had a bit too much to drink a few nights ago. Ended up dropping my iPhone hard on concrete. Once it even flew out of my hands onto the asphalt and slid a bit. Completely forgot about it until the next morning when I noticed the gouges in my bumper. I got the plastic pretty scraped up along both right corners and there's even a bit of the rubbery bit on the back that got snagged. Not a single scratch, ding, imperfection on the phone though.
I've probably dropped it about 10 times now (I'm too clumsy), including one awesome fall where my dog yanked on his leash as we walked in a hallway and I had my phone in hand. Phone tumbled out of my hand, hit a wall and bounced back onto the frame of the door we'd just walked through, and landed face down.

DarkAether
Aug 1, 2010, 01:26 AM
Sorry to hear about the phone dropping, but at least it's not dented/scratched!

As for DMB, I love them. Dave has an odd/different voice, but there's something about the live shows that's amazing. :)

I believe that's commonly known by the term "weed". if you leave that out of the equation, he simply sounds like a cat in heat that had it's tail run over.

caligurl
Aug 2, 2010, 11:46 AM
Better look into getting a bumper for the newborn.

ya... this! :D

3N16MA
Aug 2, 2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a keeper.

danielveeee
Aug 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
I'm still nervous about the bumper because the one and only time I dropped it with a bumper on, it cracked the whole back.. Mind you it was only a 3 foot drop :rolleyes:

eastercat
Aug 2, 2010, 04:51 PM
You might want to invest in an otterbox defender for your klutzy wife. I'm a klutz myself, which is why I waited to get my iPhone until after I got an Otterbox.

Sweetbike40
Aug 2, 2010, 04:58 PM
Before i even read the comments....LOL to the thread title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!