Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
There are lots of threads on this already... But it makes a substantial difference in startup speed, application launches and anything that uses the hard drive.

Dyne

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
iBookG4User is correct... it's a substantial difference... you just have to figure if it's worth it or not. Personally, I'm not jumping on SSDs until they come way down in price, even for my gaming Windows rig I'm building next year. :)

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
There are lots of threads on this already... But it makes a substantial difference in startup speed, application launches...

For those that just care about those two items, a Seagate Momentus XT will get you just that without the massive price premium and more overall storage ($0.26/GB) for your dollar ($130 for a 500GB disk).

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
The way I look at it, if you load it up with RAM you won't have to boot and launch applications as much.

It's kind of a catch-22 where in order to utilize it you need to house apps and data on SSD, but SSD is so expensive you have to pick and choose what to store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.